The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...all the Taylors I’ve owned, including an 814 and 812e 12-fret. All fantastic guitars. Superb playability and craftmanship. But the Taylor tone? Ultimately not for me. I went thru a lot of fine Taylors only to discover I’m really a Martin/Gibson kinda guy...
I'd have to agree with you on Taylor guitars. Visually I think they are on point, but I just can't get along with the tone.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:30 AM

D-18 that just started to feel "too big" for me after many good years.

000-15M that replaced it, after I learned how much I liked a shorter scale, taught by the GS Mini that I got at the same time. Sure was a nice instrument though!

The mini got sold too, not so much that I fell out of love but that I liked a Cargo more - more durable and better sound.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:46 AM

More often as not it has to do with the feel of the guitar. As example, I have a 1950s Gibson CF-100E. Amazing looking and sounding instrument. But I just do not cotton to the 1 11/16" nut combined with the thinner neck carve. If this thing had the standard 1950s roundback Gibson D carve it would probably stay with me forever. But it is just too skimpy feeling. So the time is coming when we will part ways. Just waiting on something to pop up I want to trade it away for.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:51 AM

I've fallen out of relationships with a few guitars.

Taylor 514. Besides being brighter than I prefer, it had nasty sympathetic overtones that gave me notes I didn't want. Almost broke it over a table once, and knew it was time to sell.

Martin custom D-18V red spruce. Ultimately a flatpicker's guitar. Tried to take up flatpicking to make it happy, but it's not my thing. Took the action down to fingerpicker height and it lost volume. Had a lovely Martin mahogany tone, but had to sell it.

Lowden O23 redwood. Still have it, but time to sell. This is a poet's guitar, and I'm an Americana type Travis picker. I'm too crude for it.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I'd have to agree with you on Taylor guitars. Visually I think they are on point, but I just can't get along with the tone.
I also agree. I think they are well thought out and well built guitars. Just could never make peace with the sound so never fell in love with one to fall out of love with.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:33 AM

I had a Martin Eric Clapton 000-28, #15. So in the first batch that were sent out to the stores after the model was introduced at NAMM. Very nice guitar. Bought it when I started Law School, as I needed something for stress reduction. But after I finally had my Froggy Bottom shipped down from Alaska, and took delivery on my first McAlister, I realized that as good as it was, it was like a Brule trying to run with a pack of Yamaha, Kawasaki and Ducati sport bikes. Excellent in it's own way, but not quite up to running with the big dogs.

My pair of Guilds, a '74 212XL that I'd had for over a decade, and a '75 F-50 that I had had since 1980, also eventually went, and for the same reasons. So I released them into the wild to find someone new to love them.

If course, every guitar that I've ever sold was sold because I was no long in love with it.

I would like to have that '61 SG-style Les Paul Jr. back, though.

TW
Old 03-20-2018, 10:36 AM

Default Guitars I fell out of love with (do you have any?)

2002 Gibson L-130. My ears love 'em, my gnarled digits can't play mini-jumbos anymore- 2014 CEO-7, same problem. Truly excellent build from Martin.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Lot's of them, Goodalls, Taylor, Gibsons, Martins, Merrill(!), several Collings,.. plus a bunch more.

All guitars that someone else might love (except for that Gibson L-00, what a dog). Just finding what works for me. I've said often Gear is a Process.

What has stayed:
-my custom built John How Ladder Braced Concert.
-a LAGS custom Martin 00-15m
(owned three 15 series before, fourth is the charm),
-two Waterloos, WL-12, WL-14
-a Pono parlor 12 string
(impossible to find a decent small body 12 string i can afford until the Pono)
-a Gretsch Bobtail resonator G9220
(great entry level reso that plays and sounds fine).
Old 03-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Mbroady:
The plus side is just received a Furch D34. It sounds almost exactly like the D24 but has the 1 1/16 nut.

Dang! that's one narrow nut! You must have incredibly skinny fingers.
scott

Ha...it was a cusotm order. Only kidding. 1 11/16th nut
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Default yes...no...

Yes...I'd had my Martin D-28LSH since 1993. (it's a 1991 model) Got to where didn't like it at all. THEN John Levan re-fretted it, put in new bone nut and saddle and got the intonation correct...and...HOLY COW!!...TOTALLY A DIFFERENT GUITAR!!!
Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Default ME TOO..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
Taylor GS Mini for me as well. Loved the size, the sound, and the look and feel of the guitar - felt it would be a great learner and traveler guitar and I really was impressed by the sound and volume from it. But after a few weeks I just could not get used to the cramped fingerboard - my large hands simply didn't work. Bummed me out but I sold it.
Same thing happened to me. I played 4 or 5 Martin Dred Jr.'s...they were hideous...dead dead dead....then went into a store in Myrtle Beach on vacation. They had 2 Dred Jr's...the first one same thing....horrible...the second one..AMAZING...I even took 2 friends back the next day to let them hear it...all said the same..get the 2nd one....love love love it..and it has a longer scale length that the Taylor....(Taylor should make the GS mini in a 12 fret with the Les Paul scale...THAT!!...THAT!!...would sell a bunch of guitars!!!!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:17 PM

For electrics its every Les Paul I've ever had, tried to like them but once the honeymoon period is over they spend more and more time in their case.

Acoustics, a 416ce wonderful player but too laden with overtones and sustain. The very thing that first attracted me to the guitar became its demon, Another was a Stonebridge / Furch, nothing wrong with it as such, just could never develop any bond with it
Old 03-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Guest 1511

There's two brands that I have always wanted to own one of their models but can't seem to keep them.

For electric it's Fender. I can't bond with a Strat or a Tele. I like the Jaguar but only for a very narrow range of music, and I don't have room for a lot of gear. I find Strats pretty darn frustrating in so many ways that I won't get into. I guess I'm a Les Paul guy because those always feel and sound right to me.d

For acoustic it's Taylor. I've owned quite a few, trying to bond with just one of them, but after a while I get bored with them. The only one I kept for a decent amount of time was the first Taylor I owned, a 310, which was the one that got me into acoustics to begin with and was my first really good guitar.

I've had a similar issue with the few Martins I've owned, except I didn't get bored with the sound, it was more of an ergonomics problem. I do own a superb Martin that feels good in my hands, now.

I've also fallen out of love with big-bodied Gibsons. Love the sound, can't deal with the big fat bodies. I miss having a Gibson acoustic though; nothing else really captures that sound.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:44 PM

My first "good" guitar was a Martin 2013 D28 I bought new in 2014...

It's a beautiful guitar, I love the sound and tone, but I guess I'm just not a dread size guy...every thing about it is too much a "reach" for me...it spends it's days cased and I probably should move it along to someone who'd show it the love it deserves...

I have a Taylor 314ce and a 12 fret Martin 000-16 SGT that I don't see leaving home at any time, and I'm thinking an OM or 000 14 fret might be nice to round out the stash...
Old 03-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Lots of times. Though the most memorable was Martin CS HD18LSV with an Adirondack top. I was in love with it. Then wasn't and traded it to a friend. Bought it back 'cause I missed it so. Then fell out of love with it for a second time and sold it off. And I definitely lost money on that one.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 03-20-2018 at 04:16 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion