The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-05-2018, 01:00 PM

Default Opinion/ suggestion for 8 channel Mixer

I am thinking about buying this mixer. Street price is under 300.00.
Any opinions on this mixer or others I should look at? I have the 6 channel version mixer with 2 mic inputs vs this 8 channel with 4 xlr inputs.
http://www.rcf.it/l-pad/l-pad-8cx

My thinking for the 8 channel is that i am now hosting open mics and this might be better to have.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I am thinking about buying this mixer. Street price is under 300.00.
Any opinions on this mixer or others I should look at? I have the 6 channel version mixer with 2 mic inputs vs this 8 channel with 4 xlr inputs.
http://www.rcf.it/l-pad/l-pad-8cx

My thinking for the 8 channel is that i am now hosting open mics and this might be better to have.
If you like the smaller one you have, then that's a better indication of the quality of the line than I can give you, but I will note that for use with acoustic guitar (and to a lesser extent voice) you might want to look into a small mixer with more flexible EQ. Either one of the small digital mixers out there (RCF makes some, for example, but they are more expensive than others) or something like an A&H ZED10FX (or ZED60-10FX, if you want to stretch the budget a bit) which at least has semi-parametric mid EQ. The ZED also has a dedicated Aux out (and the ZED60 adds channel mutes and sliders instead of knobs).

Louis
Old 02-05-2018, 02:40 PM

Yamaha makes one pretty much like this with similar features but I consider it a notch above what you're looking at called the
MG10XU. Has 2 XLR outs instead of the RCA's.Costs about the same. It have had mine for two years. No issues, works great, I trust Yamaha. You should check it out before you buy.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:08 PM

Default Opinion/ suggestion for 8 channel Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Yamaha makes one pretty much like this with similar features but I consider it a notch above what you're looking at called the
MG10XU. Has 2 XLR outs instead of the RCA's.Costs about the same. It have had mine for two years. No issues, works great, I trust Yamaha. You should check it out before you buy.

+1 for the Yamaha. Good quality, great reviews and great pricing. I picked up a like new pre-owned MG10XU with a 6 month Alto Music warranty for $145. It does everything I need plus. But hindsight is 20-20. The Yamaha MG12XU has two more channels and sliders for volume which is a real improvement and worth the higher price.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-06-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Don’t want to highjack this thread but I have a question for you. Why is the xlr out important? Is the sound quality better than a 1/4”, 3.5mm or rca Out?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:54 AM

The xlr outs allow for longer cable runs without loss of signal, and I know on my Yamaha MG06X, there is a lower output from the 1/4" than from the xlr. If you're running open mics, I'd get a mixer with two more channels than you think you need. Also, the one knob compression on the Yamaha MG mixers is quite handy. It really saves your speakers from getting lambasted on accident. I own an older MG8CX which only has 1/4" outs--I wish it had the xlr outs, and I also own an MG16xu, which is a terrific mixer. My MG8CX gets used at least once a week in and out of a gig bag, hooked up and unhooked running at least two vocal mics and a guitar, sometimes more and it keeps going and going. No scratchy pots, good quality stuff even with the cheaper plastic feel of the older mixer. The new MGs have a metal case. I specifically got the MG06X for the XLR outs and since it packs away better in a gig bag.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 AM

looks like i will be going with the Yamaha. Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to decide which model. seems like for just a little more i will have the expanded capacity to deal with most situations.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Don’t want to highjack this thread but I have a question for you. Why is the xlr out important? Is the sound quality better than a 1/4”, 3.5mm or rca Out?
It depends. They key is whether or not the main outputs are balanced or not. Balanced signals can go farther without noise or degradation/signal loss. The balanced version of a 1/4" output takes a TRS cable, but it's otherwise the same as balanced XLR in terms of the signal itself. The advantage to XLR connectors is that they usually lock into place, so they're more secure. I don't believe that it's at all common for mixers to have 3.5mm or RCA outputs for their main outs. These are usually for connecting recorders or iPods, etc. They are never, as far as I know, balanced connections.

Louis
Old 02-06-2018, 08:38 AM

I wouldn't change your mixer until you need more, or know what you need. 4 XLRs is still too small for an ensemble. So, you might end up "upgrading' to something that doesn't meet your needs. I'd wait until the need presents itself.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Shameless plug. I just put this great Yamaha MG10XU up on eBay. A lot of companies make nice little mixers. I really like the Yamaha's for all you get at a nice price.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=499214
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 AM

Soundcraft EFX8. Yes it is analog. No it does not have bluetooth etc. Small footprint especially for the analog functionality, 8 genuine XLR input channels with channel faders, good sounding preamps, OK effects, decent ins and outs, reasonable price. And XLR outs. Note that many 1/4" outputs are actually balanced TSR outputs which function the same as XLR. The downside is a 1/4 TRS to XLR cable/adapter is needed. Not a showstopper, just an inconvenience. But be sure to check to verify balanced outputs.

We have used ours a lot. One of the venues we play has had one for years. Typically there is no tougher service than a band accessed house PA. And it all still works.

hunter
Old 02-06-2018, 12:53 PM

Default Allen and Heath

Have been very pleased with mine.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZEDi10FX

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZED10FX
Old 02-06-2018, 02:32 PM

The Zed10Fx is stellar. It has great effects and I use mine in my studio.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification