The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-20-2017, 08:34 PM

Default Starting out

I've been playing guitar for about 30 years now, and as my Navy career draws to a close, I've been thinking of how to occupy my time. I've pretty much settled on playing at Nursing homes, retirement villas, and legions. To that end, I'd like some advice on rounding up some equipment. Obviously, I already have a collection of guitars. I also have a Zoom G3X. I've been thinking about adding the following:

Fender Acoustasonic 40 (use as a monitor and primary sound source)
Alto Trouper 200w PA (fed from the Acoustasonic)
TC Helicon Play Acoustic (or Voicelive 3)
In ear monitors (probably Shure SE-215)

There's also a bunch of little things, but I'm OK sorting that stuff out myself. All in, it looks like I'll get close to my 1500CAD budget, all in.
Yamaha APX T2
Old 12-20-2017, 08:55 PM

First of all, thank you for your service to our great country. Second of all, welcome (back) to gigging. The items in your list seem to be good choices. I may suggest skipping the Zoom, unless there are patches and/or effects that you really love and have dialed in. My experience is that live, it has too much volume variation from patch to patch, unless you spend the time making adjustments to each patch, and that it works better with electric guitars. Also, you didn't mention anything about singing, but I assume you will... if you do, invest in a good boom mic stand. The $20 units are lightweight, but will fall over into your guitar and that's never fun. Also, for a mic, I'd recommend a Sennheiser e935 or perhaps a Blue Encore 100. And don't skimp on cables. Anything with Neutrik connectors will not let you down.

Best of luck.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:00 PM

Looks like a good start with all you have chosen. I have a Play Acoustic and it works great. I also use the Shure in ears. Works well from the headphone out of Play Acoustic. Haven’t used the Alto Trouper but am considering it myself.

Thanks for your service! We really do appreciate it.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModlrMIke View Post
Fender Acoustasonic 40 (use as a monitor and primary sound source)
Alto Trouper 200w PA (fed from the Acoustasonic)
TC Helicon Play Acoustic (or Voicelive 3)
In ear monitors (probably Shure SE-215)
For the kinds of gigs you're describing, I think all of that is serious overkill and would likely be much too loud (an amp AND a powered speaker in a nursing home would be crazy loud).

Are you just playing guitar? Or are you singing, as well?
Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 AM

I initially thought it might be too much sound, but around here many of the nursing homes have quite large common rooms. Plus, I can always leave the amp at home for practice and just go with the Alto. With the IEMs, I shouldn't really need to hear myself through the PA or amp.

I do plan to sing. To that end I'm still looking at different microphones. I already have a lower end mic to use for practising. The Shure SM58 plus the previously mentioned Blue and Sennheiser mics are being considered, but I'm leaning twards the SM58.
Yamaha APX T2
Old 12-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
For the kinds of gigs you're describing, I think all of that is serious overkill and would likely be much too loud (an amp AND a powered speaker in a nursing home would be crazy loud).
I was thinking the same thing. I also really question the need for in-ear monitors for the conditions described. In my experience, in-ear monitors come with their own set of issues and considerations (like anything else), and are best suited for really loud environments. I suspect they may cause more harm than good for a solo guitar player / singer.

When I first read this post, my knee-jerk reaction was to recommend a Bose L1 compact, or a Fishman 330x, or similar such offerings from Harbinger, Maui, JBL, etc. I think such units -- which are generally intended to serve as small PAs and eliminate the need for separate monitors -- would work quite well for your needs. That's my two cents.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:18 AM

For those type of venues, you will not need a lot of volume - even the larger rooms, I wouldn't want to use IEMs just because of the isolation they provide. Of course the audience may just think you've got hearing aids!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-21-2017, 09:22 AM

Never mind that IEMs need to be driven from a send on a mixer into a headphone amp.

You need an all in one PA, a guitar preamp, an Sm58, stands, and cables.

Last edited by midwinter; 12-21-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 AM

Hi,
Have you looked into the fishman loudbox min? I
For the gigs you mention this would cover it.

Also here's a great starter package
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LoudBoxMiniPK
Old 12-21-2017, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the input. You've certainly given me much to think about.
Yamaha APX T2
Old 12-23-2017, 05:46 PM

A slightly more flexible setup would be a small passive Mackie or A&H mixer feeding a pair of QSC K10s (powered speakers). Easy and fast to set up, fits on a single cart, and way better sounding and adaptable than most acoustic amps.

You shouldn’t need in-ears at all most of the time....if you need a monitor, pick up an FBT Jolly or such, which is tiny.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:47 PM

OP is looking at the acoustisonic 40 and the trouper - both around 200-250. A pair of k10 are how much?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification