The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-18-2010, 06:21 PM

The FLIP should come out with a line in audio. I think the video is pretty good for the price
Old 12-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
What's the maximum length of an HD clip on the Rebel t2i?

I'm ready for an HDSLR myself, there's certainly a lot to criticize about the video of any of these pocket cams.

Fran
There is a filesize limit of 4 GB, which means 12 minutes. I DO see this as a shortcoming, because what I really want to do is record our gigs - and just let it run the entire set (usually about 45 minutes or so), then chop it up later, so I can youtube/vimeo the best performances.

As a workaround for this, I did get a wireless remote for the camera. I don't think I'll remember to restart it every third song or so, but at least I can do it if there's something I know I wanna capture...I can put reminders in the setlist.

The main reason I went with this camera over others is that the price to performance for BOTH stills and video seemed to be above most other devices. However, I did give STRONG consideration to one of the Sony Alpha 55, which has the added benefit of continues auto-focus in movie mode (something the the T2I doesn't have). The CAF would be nice, but for most of my purposes, things are fairly stationary. I figured the manual control the T2I gives you was more critical.

Another cool thing about the T2i (and this may be true of other such devices) is that, with the remote (or without), you can also take stills while shooting video. So, while I'm recording, I could periodically, between songs, hit a button, and after a 2-second delay, it would snap a photo.

One quick note about cost, etc, etc...I know the DLSR route isn't for everyone. Sometimes a quick and dirty video is enough. What I was putting forth was that I personally don't think the $300 for the Q3HD is worth it, particularly if you have a good audio recording device (like the H2), and that $300 actually goes a long way toward something that does significantly better video, if you're willing to go used.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
The FLIP should come out with a line in audio. I think the video is pretty good for the price
Here's the issue - just adding a line in / ext. mic in doesn't necessarily solve the problem. It may - if the audio processing is good, but if it's like the Zi8 (excessive compression, noise), then, while it does help, it still isn't great...

FYI - if you do a youtube search you can find some comparisons between the FLIP and Zi8...I consider most that I've seen comparable, or maybe even favoring the Zi8...
Old 12-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Is it the lens that makes the t2i's or other SLR videos better?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsino View Post
Chances are that the lens has an impact, but the biggest factor, based on what I've read, is the size of the sensor, i.e. - the size of the device that captures the light that hits it. On a device, like the t2i - the area capturing video is significantly larger than in the flips, Zi8s, Q3HDs, etc...

I think I WOULD expect the lens to be better, but the sensor is more significant.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsino View Post
Larger sensor, higher performance processor, greater manual control, superior lens, and the ability to switch lenses. All these factors enter into the equation.

The newest trend is to create cameras with a more traditional video camera form factor, but incorporate the large sensor, high end processors, and interchangeable lenses of the DSLR. The Panasonic AF100 is the first of this new generation, Canon is rumored to be preparing an announcement of a similar shooter.

You might try snooping around at http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/ where they have subforums dedicated to various HDSLR models.

The Canon gang will scream bloody murder when I say this, but the new Panasonic GH2 (not readily available in the US yet) appears to be the bad dude in this fight. Micro 4/3 mirrorless design lets a very wide range of lenses work. Touch screen focus pulling. Shot length limited by size of the memory card. Silent autofocus and zoom. Articulated monitor.

Check Philip Bloom's blog: http://philipbloom.net/2010/11/21/gh2/ and http://philipbloom.net/2010/12/07/whichdslr/

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 AM

Does anyone think the H1 audio and Q3HD audio are the same quality?

The Zoom ads are not clear...

It seemed to my ears that Q3 audio was on par with H2 audio but I'm not certain. (this was before HD)
Old 02-01-2011, 05:05 PM

Hi all, Ferg, if you'd like to see what your Zi8 sounds like with an Audio-Technica PRO24CM go to my YouTube page. I've got 4 vids I did with that combination and the ArcSoft software that came with the Kodak for editing and publishing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/waynestrain
Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Hi Fran, can you say why you used a $25 AT 822 on the Zi8 shootout and then on the Zoom Q3HD you used 2 Shure KSM141s at $870 and an M Audio Preamp at $159 for your audio comparison. Seems a little biased towards the Zoom.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Train View Post
Hi Fran, can you say why you used a $25 AT 822 on the Zi8 shootout and then on the Zoom Q3HD you used 2 Shure KSM141s at $870 and an M Audio Preamp at $159 for your audio comparison. Seems a little biased towards the Zoom.
I used the AT822 because I had used it with the Zi8 in a previous comparison.

I used the KSM141s because they were convenient and a preamped system is required for the Q3HD. I could have used my Schoeps, or my vintage Electrovoice RE15s, or my Beyer M260 ENAC re-ribbons. But using a preamp/mic combo with the Zi8 doesn't gain much because the problem is the auto level control, limited frequency response, distortion, and lack of reliability I've experienced when using the two different Zi8s I've owned. And using a preamp with the mic level input of the Zi8 just complicates things further.

If you can buy an AT822 for $25 you should jump on it. It was originally a fairly pricey piece of gear, over $300 in 1980 dollars, and lots of good recordings have been made with these mics.

Fran

Last edited by Fran Guidry; 02-02-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Hi all, Ferg, if you'd like to see what your Zi8 sounds like with an Audio-Technica PRO24CM go to my YouTube page. I've got 4 vids I did with that combination and the ArcSoft software that came with the Kodak for editing and publishing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/waynestrain
Seeing your videos helps me understand the use of the Pro24. When I evaluated it for acoustic fingerstyle vids I was underwhelmed, but it works nicely with amplified instruments.

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2010/...the-kodak-zi8/

Fran
Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 AM

I Googled that mic and made a mistake. You're right, that is a $320 mic. I must have seen an accessorie for that price. Sorry. I enjoy your articles and playing. Good stuff.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I Googled that mic and made a mistake. You're right, that is a $320 mic. I must have seen an accessorie for that price. Sorry. I enjoy your articles and playing. Good stuff.
You can find them used for ~$100...which is a very good value, IMO.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM

If you're not going to use external mics, is the native mic sound quality on the HN4 the same as on the Q3HD?
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD