The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Default My first small shop guitar: Ted Thompson T-1 Deluxe

Not sure how many people will be familiar with these, as I gather that Ted is rather reclusive and finding his guitars in the wild is not a common thing.

But while searching for a cedar topped fingerstyle guitar, I came across a pre-owned TM-1 Deluxe with a cedar top and 1 7/8" fingerboard, and it just spoke to me. The scant information I could glean about Ted, all indicated that I should just close my eyes and buy it sight unseen, so that's exactly what I did. And I couldn't be happier thus far.

It's an aesthetically simple guitar, but certainly elegant in its understatement. And since my budget didn't allow for both small shop quality AND bling, I'm grateful to Ted for making a guitar like this, as he clearly didn't skimp on wood and craftsmanship and it didn't cost me a fortune. And it fits my intended use (60's and 70's folk) perfectly.

I've only had it one day, and I won't bore you with the many superlatives that come to mind, but suffice it to say that I understand what all the fuss is about; not only is my first small shop experience an epiphany, but Ted Thompson makes a simply extraordinary guitar. It's one of those guitars that makes me sound much better than I am, and will often make me stop mid-song just to listen to the notes decay.

I could ramble on and on, but I'll show some photos instead.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:16 PM

Really nice - I like the simplicity myself. It would be great to hear a sound clip.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Really nice - I like the simplicity myself. It would be great to hear a sound clip.
Thanks -- it currently lacks a pickup, but I plan to add one. In fact, if anyone has any suggestions on that front, I'm all ears.

FWIW, here's a sample of another Thompson TM-1 which, despite sporting a standard spruce top instead of cedar, sounds quite like mine (if a bit brighter):

https://soundcloud.com/guitarnate-1/darcys-guitar

Last edited by Fleece; 01-27-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:43 PM

Good post, great pics, superb guitar.

Congrats !

JF

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 01-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-F C View Post
Good post, great pics, superb guitar.

Congrats !

JF
Thanks JF! Feels good man. Except for my fingers. They're killing me.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 PM

Very nice. Congrats on the solid find. Enjoy it.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:53 PM

I really hope I get to play one of his instruments some day. Congrats!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 01-28-2015, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
I really hope I get to play one of his instruments some day. Congrats!
Thanks Bill! As a fellow San Diegan, I would ordinarily say that this T-1, like most of my other guitars, will eventually be put back into circulation via S.D. craigslist. But I have a premonition that I'll have this until it's played out.

Comments from other Thompson owners suggest that selling one is a mistake that will haunt you for years (which is why they rarely pop up in the classifieds I guess).
Old 01-28-2015, 02:36 AM

I've heard many wonderful things about his guitars.

Congrats!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:22 AM

Congratulations on a great find! Ted is one of my favorite builders—I've owned a T2 (O-size) for over seven years. Thompsons are wonderful guitars that do tend to fly a bit under the radar. All the ones I've come across over the years have featured beautiful woods—yours is no exception. Enjoy!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:43 AM

What a nice looking guitar. Could you tell us about this builder. I have never heard of him.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C View Post
What a nice looking guitar. Could you tell us about this builder. I have never heard of him.
Ted (he's in Canada) only distributes his guitars to a very few dealers. He doesn't have a website as far as know, and custom builds are handled through his "dealers." One of these is The Acoustic Guitar Store, in Calgary. Check the link for a list of his models.

I know he's been building for many years—since the 80s I believe.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C View Post
Dreamincolor is entirely correct. Ted is based in Vernon, British Columbia, and appears to be a bit reclusive.

He has no website, but doesn't appear to need one, as every guitar he makes is snapped up as fast as he can build them. He makes about 100 guitars per year, I'm told, which is rather prolific for a one-man shop, but makes more sense in light of what appears to be a very passionate and intense focus on his craft (at the expense of any marketing efforts, apparently). If I'm not mistaken, he saw a bit of a publicity boost when Acoustic Guitar Magazine awarded him a Player's Choice award in 2000.

Somewhat conversely, his former apprentice Trevor Kronbauer appears to be a bit more widely known and better versed in marketing (http://www.kronbauerguitars.com/).

In searching for information about Ted, all of which came second hand, the unanimity of praise was sufficient to persuade me to buy one despite having never heard of him before. And I've now joined the choir of his fans. And I'd be lying if I were to say I didn't find it rather cool (for lack of a better term), that he's a reclusive luthier who shuns the spotlight, building relatively unadorned instruments that produce the most angelic sound I've ever heard come out of a guitar.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamincolor View Post
Congratulations on a great find! Ted is one of my favorite builders—I've owned a T2 (O-size) for over seven years. Thompsons are wonderful guitars that do tend to fly a bit under the radar. All the ones I've come across over the years have featured beautiful woods—yours is no exception. Enjoy!
Thanks very much!

While I'm currently in that, "I'll never need another guitar again" honeymoon, I'm quite interested in learning more about Ted's other offerings. Can you tell me more about your T2, and/or do you happen to have a photo or two you can point me to?

After scouring the Internet for testimonials from other Thompson owners, I must say it feels great to be a member of this small but enthusiastic club.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Humanist

One of my American Guitar Masters touring partners, Peter Janson, has a Mahog/Sitka T-1 that he tours with...it's his main/favorite guitar...and it's something like 15-20 years old.

It's *truly* a phenomenal guitar, aside from the fact that Janson is one heckuva terrific musician...

...oh, and I proudly carried Ted's guitars when I had my shop in SLC. Great guitars.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop