The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Default T C Helicon Singer, I like it

I finally had time to hook up and experiment with my TC Helicon Harmony Singer pedal. I have found it very good when used with limited accents on songs. If you set up the pedal to momentary contact you can add harmony to just a few words, maybe at the end of a phrase or in the chours of a song. Used in this way with maybe 1/3 over harmony its not so heavy handed and "gimicky" sounding but I think really enhances a song. As an example, in Neil Youngs song "Unknown Legand",( if you are familiar with it), accenting the words "desert highway" and" Harley-Davidson" in the chours with a bit of harmony adds a nice touch. I think if used thru an entire song it will become tiring and anyone listening will hate you very quickly. Anyone else have one and come to the same conclusion?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:33 PM

I have the VL3 and agree with you. Many songs one may go single voice for the verses and then harmonize on the choruses. Variations like you mentioned of harmonizing key phrases or words for emphasis is another good technique so any variation can work. I find the key is to make your lead voice dominate and then the harmonizing is more subtle and the artificial effect is minimized. Mic technique can also work to alter the dynamics of the harmonies. What I like about TC Helicon products is that they have provided a lot of versatility to the harmonies, not really suited for complex harmonizing arrangements, but certainly it can enhance a solo performance.

One of the problems with live harmonies is that most group singers in a band situation do not hear the vocal blend very well and so the dynamics of the harmonies can be off. Dominating harmony doesn't usually work very well. Probably my favorite aspect of their vocal capabilities is the doubling feature. I can take a decent voice and give it a lot more depth and richness to the sound. Makes you step up your effort for singing well since the response is great sounding vocals and to the listener it doesn't sound annoyingly artificial. They certainly are leading the way in vocal harmony effects.

My Acoustics

1971 Martin D28
1973 Guild D50
2014 Taylor 814ce Ltd Coco
2015 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2018 Ibanez Artwood AC240 (Nashville string setup)
Old 01-31-2015, 02:07 PM

I was a lead vox for many years in my youth, can't hit all the notes anymore. I used to sing through an electric guitar delay pedal and got pretty good at getting usable sound that way.
I'd love to try these new pedals, might re-open my singing chops

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 01-31-2015, 03:41 PM

Thanks for your input. I'm new to the "pedal" thing and just using a mic and ampification in general. I'm using an MXL V63m condenser mic into the pedal. I also use a small condenser mic for the guitar plugged into the pedal so it can hear the 3rd as I understand it. I have guitars with UST's but I'm not happy with the sound from them. I think a mic'ed guitar sounds best but does limit movement, ( not that I'm really going anywhere when singing) but it is a bit restricting. Still in the learning process with this but I can see where it can be very helpful if used with restraint.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:54 AM

GHS, you are right: the golden rule when using a vocalizer is restraint. I to discovered that sometimes accentuating just one word or one line can be a powerfull 'upgrade' of your song. Before I discovered that my DAW (Reason) had the possibility of recording harmonies I recorded a song with a mic in front of my AER Compact 60, so that I could use my Digitech VL3 for harmonies. I more or less recorded live and had to do it in one take. Afterwards I added some other instrumentation. Btw this song has more harmonizing than just a couple of words. Speaking with the angel.

My lyrics and music on Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD