The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM

I have been through several cheap banjos, and they were all absolute junk. The big issue is that they all had a single coordinator rod, which made action adjustments all but impossible without causing a bunch of other problems. Don't bother with cheap banjos.

I would start with a Deering Goodtime. Goldtone also makes some decent instruments... their absolute cheapest are still kinda junky, but their mid-priced ones are actually quite nice.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 01-27-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
Don't bother with cheap banjos.
This is very good advice.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be such a thing as a decent "budget" banjo, unless you want to look at something like a 1950s/60s Harmony Reso-Tone (they sound surprisingly good, considering they are made of what appears to be Bakelite).
You can find them in the $150-$250 range depending on condition.

I have a Lyon & Healy from the 1890s (!) which wasn't much more expensive, but required some additional work to get it playing. It's great for older, pre-bluegrass styles.

You definitely need a resonator to play bluegrass, but there's no reason why you can't play clawhammer on a resonator banjo, in fact many of the greats did just that.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:25 PM

Interesting perspectives... really appreciate all the info...

I wonder if we mean different things when we think about a decent entry level instrument. I had a $300 seagull S6 that I played for years, and thought it sounded very good, plays well, and is a terrific entry level instrument. I would never hesitate to suggest someone buy one.

Same thing with my $500 epiphone Masterbilt... solid instrument for not a lot of money.

I really like my $2k Taylor, but I would never recommend it to someone who is just starting out on guitar. There is not $1700 of difference for a beginner. For a seasoned player, sure.

So really... maybe we just have different perspectives?

I still haven't decided but I appreciate all the input so far and am taking it all in.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-27-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
maybe we just have different perspectives?

Earlier, you wrote:
Quote:
With an acoustic guitar, the difference between a $200 guitar and a $500 guitar can be quite noticeable.
---
With a banjo, I haven't noticed those differences.. at least, not as much.
I don't think these differences would have been very readily apparent to me either, until I had spent a few months playing banjo.

Unless you're shopping for a child, I would recommend avoiding the "starter" category entirely and get a decent intermediate instrument right away.

There's just no reason to subject yourself to the frustration of cheap hardware and poor workmanship on a banjo - it can be a frustrating enough instrument without these things.

If finances truly necessitate keeping your budget low, you'll be able to buy a much better instrument if you shop for a used banjo rather than the examples in those amazon links.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Get the Deering Goodtime...

Todd
Old 01-27-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Interesting perspectives... really appreciate all the info...

I wonder if we mean different things when we think about a decent entry level instrument. I had a $300 seagull S6 that I played for years, and thought it sounded very good, plays well, and is a terrific entry level instrument. I would never hesitate to suggest someone buy one.

Same thing with my $500 epiphone Masterbilt... solid instrument for not a lot of money.

I really like my $2k Taylor, but I would never recommend it to someone who is just starting out on guitar. There is not $1700 of difference for a beginner. For a seasoned player, sure.

So really... maybe we just have different perspectives?

I still haven't decided but I appreciate all the input so far and am taking it all in.
No. This is what we're trying to explain. You can get a decent starter guitar on a low budget. You cannot get a good cheap banjo. That $150 banjo is the equivalent of one of the really nasty unplayable guitars you can still find new for $49.00 at various places like Walmart.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
...and cut to the scene where psalad buys a $3k banjo.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
...and cut to the scene where psalad buys a $3k banjo.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'm too cheap for that.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-27-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
No. This is what we're trying to explain. You can get a decent starter guitar on a low budget. You cannot get a good cheap banjo. That $150 banjo is the equivalent of one of the really nasty unplayable guitars you can still find new for $49.00 at various places like Walmart.
^^^^^^This!
If you end up buying a $150 banjo anyway, don't come back here and whine. You have been warned...

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire&Rain View Post
^^^^^^This! If you end up buying a $150 banjo anyway don't come back here on AGF and whine...
You kidding me? If I were to come back after buying a cheap I would have one of two response.

1. Yes, you are all RIGHT and cheap banjos suck.

2. You are all wrong and cheap banjos are OK.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
You kidding me? If I were to come back after buying a cheap I would have one of two response.

1. Yes, you are all RIGHT and cheap banjos suck.

2. You are all wrong and cheap banjos are OK.
3. cheap banjos are a mixture of suckage and okness. i can live with it, but it would be nice if it were a little bit higher quality in a few ways. still, pretty good for the money.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Dan - Charter Member

A new Deering Goodtime is $399 mail-order, before coupons or whatever. I looked at the "sold" listings on eBay and there seem to be quite a few sold for $200-$300.

Deering just came out with the "Goodtime Americana" series, which is larger in diameter and has a distinctly different voice. There are demos on YouTube.

But I don't play the banjo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments