The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Ol' Andy Rambles on about picks, shapes, materials, bevels and all that stuff.

Hi, lots of talk about this, so I thought I'd do one of my "chatty" videos about my preferences and discoveries.

i hope this is useful to the discussion:

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 01-20-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:15 AM

Interesting Andy. Cheers for that.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:08 AM

Andy, good to see that you are feeling well again and on your way back to being your old self. You look great and I enjoyed your video very much, even though I play with a thumbpick
Old 01-21-2018, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Excellent video Andy! You did a great job of conveying the message that I try to get across to folks which is to first start with a bevel on a thicker pick and see the benefits there. After that you can look at getting into the world of premium picks, but thickness and bevel are the first keys to understanding the difference between a discount pick and a premium. Thank you for taking the time to put this together.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-21-2018, 12:43 PM

Interesting and informative video, Andy. The focus was mainly on flat picking. I mostly need a pick for strumming. Does everything you say apply to picks for strumming? Your only mention about strumming picks was, "the harder the pick the more effort you are going to put into getting the sound out of the guitar, but, you probably will get more power out of the guitar. You will be moving the strings more than by using a thin strumming pick".

What thickness, shape, type, material etc. do you recommend for a "thin strumming pick"?
Old 01-21-2018, 01:59 PM

Great video Andy!

Your findings have been the same that I have found so far. If only you had put this out months ago! Would have saved me some journey.... Well maybe not, part of the fun is the journey of discovering the difference as you go, but this video is a great guide.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:02 PM

Thanks Andy - really helpful and interesting (Just ordered a BC and a Wegen by chance)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Interesting and informative video, Andy. The focus was mainly on flat picking. I mostly need a pick for strumming. Does everything you say apply to picks for strumming? Your only mention about strumming picks was, "the harder the pick the more effort you are going to put into getting the sound out of the guitar, but, you probably will get more power out of the guitar. You will be moving the strings more than by using a thin strumming pick".

What thickness, shape, type, material etc. do you recommend for a "thin strumming pick"?
I'm predominantly a strummer and everything he says hold true for strumming too. I prefer a pick about 1.25-1.5mm thickness for strumming and let my fingers supply the flex. Bevels help tremendously with strumming too.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-21-2018, 05:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Andy, thanks for taking the time to do this. Love posts like this. Will view later today when I have more time.

Thanks for helping educate AGF members about the differences and choices in the pick market.

be well,
scott
Old 01-21-2018, 05:47 PM

Well done. I love how you demonstrated the incredibly subtle tonal difference between pick styles. Pick shapes determine how one holds one’s pick in relation to the string, how much is exposed versus how much flesh one can use — but that’s a discussion for another day.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Andy, thanks for taking the time to do this. Love posts like this. Will view later today when I have more time.

Thanks for helping educate AGF members about the differences and choices in the pick market.

be well,
scott
Thanks, but please don't view this as my "educating" AGF members - as if I know more than the rest of us, I'm just talking about my journey and how it works for me and maybe its worth a try.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Andy, good to see that you are feeling well again and on your way back to being your old self. You look great and I enjoyed your video very much, even though I play with a thumbpick
Thanks for the kind words - a long way to go yet ..

I only use thumb and finger picks on Dobro and Weissenborn (sometimes on my National) and strangely enough , I've settled on the cheapest pointed plastic thumb picks - and Propik split wrap finger picks - brass on Dobro, nickel silver on the rest.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:52 AM

It's been a real pleasure to watch (and listen to) this. Thank you. I'm going to go and raid my box of unused thicker picks and try shaping them.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:37 AM

Thanks Andy....great video and nice Collings guitars. I couldn't agree more. Love my BC TP 50's with the speed bevel. I don't even look at anything else but I still carry some Fender Heavy's around for jamming in the dark.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:55 AM

The shape isn't that important to me, but the color is. All of mine are bright fluorescent orange or yellow....so I can find the darn things when I drop them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, lots of talk about this, so I thought I'd do one of my "chatty" videos about my preferences and discoveries.

i hope this is useful to the discussion:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion