The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Default Help! Doing Walden neck reset!

This should be easy as the necks in Walden's are bolt-ons. So I pulled the bolt from the neck block and loosened the fret board above the body, then watched the neck fall off. But...it didn't!

That neck is still very tight on the body. I've scored the finish around the joint so that's not it, and the label over the bolt was untouched so it's never been worked on before.

What can I be missing?? Help!
Old 12-13-2017, 04:03 PM

Default walden neck

I have no idea of how Walden's makers attached their necks to the bodies, but ONE bolt? Might be that that one bolt was meant to hold things together while the glue hardens?
Old 12-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I have no idea of how Walden's makers attached their necks to the bodies, but ONE bolt? Might be that that one bolt was meant to hold things together while the glue hardens?
Yes. It could be what I call a "belt and braces" joint - glue and bolt. Walden isn't on my list of bolt-on necks, but I'll add it with a query.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the respoinses. No, Walden necks were not glued. I highly suspect there's another bolt head somewhere in there. Just can't find it. It's not under the label. And a magnet has no effect.

Hummm...
Old 12-13-2017, 04:49 PM

A quick Google search confirmed that is indeed a true bolt-on, like early Taylors. I found this (in Thai!) that implies two bolts:

http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtop...f=154&t=945996
Old 12-13-2017, 04:58 PM

Thanks Tony! I did find a much smaller hole in the neck block higher then the first. This may indeed be the second bolt hole but I'll need to rig a little mirror to see it. I doubt the hex size is the same. Onward....
Old 12-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Default mirrors

Moving right along...A useful gadget is an illuminate inspection mirror, a mirror with some LED's let into the frame so no flashlight is needed. Handy little buggers.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:19 PM

reading Tonys link it is indeed bolt on.
but the pictures eludes to it also being dovetailed ? maybe once its unbolted the dovetail has to be slided apart

Bolt on Neck
คอ ของ Walden เป็นระบบ Bolt on คือเป็นแบบประกบแล้วฝังหมุดเชื่อมต่อคอกับ Body ซึ่งเป็นวิธีที่ใช้กันในกีตาร์ Taylor, Seagull, Bourgeois, และ Martin รุ่นใหม่ๆ

the neck of walden uses the method bolt on in the style found commonly joining necks to body which is method used in guitars by Taylor seagull bourgeois and recent martins

การเชื่อมคอแบบนี้ แข็งแรงและส่งผลดีในระยะยาว คือถ้าต่อไปคอมีปัญหา จะสามารถซ่อมได้ง่ายกว่าระบบประกบและทากาว อย่างระบบ Dovetail

joining necks this way, is strong and has long term benefits, namely, if neck has a problem, repair is more easily possible than traditional methods like dovetails

it also shows " 2 " bolts through the neck block, no mention of glue anywhere in the text

hope this helps, looks a nice guitar
Old 12-15-2017, 04:02 PM

Yea, thanks! I got it apart. No glue or dovetail. Was just a second bolt that I couldn't at first find. Once the bolts were out and the finger board extension removed (unglued) the neck fell right off.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:12 PM

Any chance you could post or send a pic of the neck joint and receiving area?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair