The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I think it's wrong to insist that lefties must play right handed, and I think it's wrong to insist that lefties must not play right handed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
You will never, ever find a lefty player on this forum suggest that a left handed person MUST play left handed. Let me say again....NEVER.
Agreed, jimmy bookout. I've noticed this straw man argument cropping up lately, but I agree, I've never once seen any left-handed player anywhere make this claim.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:55 AM

If all stringed instruments were designed to be fretted with the right hand, would we be opposed to guitarists playing right handed? It's more about practicality than some strawman debate about lefties being persecuted. When I went to my local guitar shop last week, I don't think I saw a single left handed instrument in stock.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The answer is clear: If you yell, "Should a lefty start out on a left handed guitar?" in a crowded forum you'll get the same panic as if you shouted, "GRENADE!"

And this from a lefty. What is it about the subject that we can't let go?

By the way, my spellchecker passes "lefty" but won't pass any spelling of "righty." Interesting.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-21-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The answer is clear: If you yell, "Should a lefty start out on a left handed guitar?" in a crowded forum you'll get the same panic as if you shouted, "GRENADE!"

And this from a lefty. What is it about the subject that we can't let go?

By the way, my spellchecker passes "lefty" but won't pass any spelling of "righty." Interesting.

Bob
Try wrongy .
Old 01-21-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
....It's more about practicality than some strawman debate about lefties being persecuted. When I went to my local guitar shop last week, I don't think I saw a single left handed instrument in stock.
Well, I can't agree with you there - what I see isn't claims of persecution, per se, but a lot of indignation, on both sides of the question. If it was merely a matter of practicality, it would be like those threads about whether it's better to have a strap button on the heel of the neck, or to attach the strap at the guitar's headstock. People have their preferences and state them, but nobody gets wound up about it, and the threads run about two or three pages long, then end.

This is different.

Since I'm fortunate enough to play right-handed, the source of my indignation comes from teaching. My position is that if you take money to teach someone a musical instrument, it's your job to make every reasonable accommodation to make sure they can and will learn. To tell a left-handed student who's tried but can't adapt to playing right-handed to go away and "come back when you're ready to start putting in the work to learn guitar" is appalling to me. Yet I've read those words in similar threads in the past.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else who's gotten tired of this thread that it's time to move on. But the reason these threads spiral on and on and on is that there are, in essence, some irreconcilable positions being expressed.

whm
Old 01-21-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
You should read the ENTIRE thread, and then you will have your answer.
I did read it.

I never post anything on a forum until I read up to the current point. If someone has already made a similar point then I don't usually double down.

Did you have a point you'd like to clarify about your comment?
Old 01-21-2018, 05:57 PM

Impassioned as I am on this topic, I think we need to remain cordial to one another.

whm
Old 01-21-2018, 08:14 PM

I think this thread has more than run its course (again and again and .......)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I think this thread has more than run its course (again and again and .......)
No argument here. I think we’ve all made our positions on this issue MORE than clear!

whm
Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
No argument here. I think we’ve all made our positions on this issue MORE than clear!

whm
I couldn't agree more .
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
left handed players