The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 10:39 AM

There's no danger of me buying a new Taylor (I have a modest one) but if they did really improve the notes high up the neck with this bracing design I would think that's significant. Both the artist videos on twitter seemingly imply that.

For me there's no escaping that there are certain things you play on an acoustic that seem pretty dead compared to playing an electric. If this actually helps that in an acoustic sounding way it could be pretty cool.

That said.. holy marketing onslaught. They're definitely the Apple of Guitars and Bob Taylor seemingly selected Andy Powers for his presentation skills and mimicry of Steve Jobs as much as his other qualities. Andy really sounds like Jobs in some of these videos!

"It's flexible... and strong" -> "It's a phone, an iPod, and a pocket computer."

Even the breathless delivery... it's uncanny.

Too bad they talk of it benefiting smaller guitars but aren't offering anything smaller than a GA body.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post

Quote:
Bracing in a Gibson Mark guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Final thought for now: I highly doubt that no luthier has EVER before played around with a bracing pattern of this fundamental design...yet the typical X-pattern prevailed.
Reverse fan bracing is usually attributed to Yacobi.

Pepe Romero, Jr Inverse Fan Bracing. Orfeo Magazine #10

Rafael Moreno. Orfeo n° 8

What I see in their V bracing pattern is easier manufacturing, no X brace notch. The main strut under the soundhole is more in keeping with classical guitar designs.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:22 PM

Reverse fan brace, 1970 Miguel Rodriguez

Old 01-26-2018, 04:33 AM

It nice to speculate, that's why the forum is here after all, but I'm feeling a negative vibe building here and no one has actually heard/played the guitars in the flesh!

I know Taylor is first class at marketing but I can't imagine the company and especially Bob would really go as far as they have without truly believing in their new 'innovation'.

I get the feeling this may be a slow-burner, as more models are 'upgraded' to the new V-Class bracing and more people experience, buy, perform and record with those guitars, the slight differences may become more clearly defined to the masses and history may well consider it an innovation, in 100 years all guitars may be made with V-Class bracing.

I own a Taylor guitar, I bought it because to me it was the best guitar I'd played, just because Taylor keeps changing/updating their guitars doesn't make my guitar obsolete, it still sounds and feels exactly as it did before NAMM.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM

Here’s an in-depth, no nonsense review which describes the sonic benefits and partially demonstrates them.

http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/gea...edition-k14ce/

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 01-26-2018, 06:04 AM

http://www.ovationgallery.com/Galler...ce/OGbrace.jpg

Ovation used to use all manner of bracings. My Balladeer has the 'A', which should achieve similar aims to the New 'V'.

Then they blew the trumpets and announced upgraded almost all models to X bracing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion