The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Flattening purfling

I bought a couple of purfling strips that were bent to fit in the box for shipping. Unfortunately, since the strips are wider than they are thick, they're bent along their width. I of course need to ultimately bend them on their narrow edge.

I assume I should get the existing bend out first. Any suggestions on how to get these flat?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:46 PM

I'm going to assume you mean side purfling, since that's the only kind you would need to bend on the narrow edge. The usual practice is to glue the side purflings to the bottom of the binding before bending.

You need to get it straightened out enough to glue it to the unbent binding. It should straighten out easily, a little heat will help (hair dryer, heat gun) if you need it.
et al
Old 01-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

It's actually front purfling. It's about .125 wide by .080 thick. It's currently bent on the wide edge and of course I need to bend it on the narrow edge.

I plan to clamp it to something flat, but more often than not, you guys have a better way than I think of.

Last edited by Quickstep192; 01-27-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
It's actually front purfling. It's about .125 wide by .080 thick. It's currently bent on the wide edge and of course I need to bend it on the narrow edge.

I plan to clamp it to something flat, but more often than not, you guys have a better way than I think of.

Perhaps this helps:

Purfling is the narrow narrow decorative strips that often (usually) accompany binding.

Binding is the thicker outer strips that help strengthen the top-to-ribs and back-to-ribs joints.

If you are talking about purfling, then you shouldn't need to bend it, since it is thin and flexible enough to use without bending.

If you are talking about binding, then yes, most binding (wood) should be bent before installation.

If the binding is bent wrong, then bend it right, or return it...

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-30-2017, 03:46 AM

I would wet it and clamp it flat.

Quote:
If you are talking about purfling, then you shouldn't need to bend it, since it is thin and flexible enough to use without bending.
A lot of herringbone is made in that dimension (1/8" wide). While herringbone with fiber on the edge can be installed without pre-bending, the type with wood edges works better if it is bent before installing.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:59 AM

I don't mean to be hijacking this thread, but I have a questions that seems relevant.

I'm doing a build where the binding (0.270" x 0.085") and purfling (0.260" x 0.065") have been pre-bent (by LMI). My question is:

I expect to rout a single channel for the combined binding and purfling. Should I install the purfling first, let the glue dry, and then install the bindings, or should I glue the purfling to the bindings using the guitar sides as a form (the sides haven't yet had the linings/kerfings installed) and then, when the top and back are installed, rout the channel (having measured the combination thickness) and install the combination in a single step?

It seems like either way would work, but I expect that there are reasons for choosing one over the other. I just don't know what those are.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:26 AM

Neither. Install both purfling and binding at the same time, gluing and clamping it all at once. Faster, easier and less likely to leave gaps.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:32 AM

I don't know of anyone gluing the top and back purfling to the bindings prior to installing. There are those that install the purfling first as stated in your first alternative, and those that do it all at once as Mr. Tauber suggests.
I've done it both ways, and I'm not sure which way was easier for me.
et al
Old 01-31-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowesty View Post
I don't mean to be hijacking this thread, but I have a questions that seems relevant.

I'm doing a build where the binding (0.270" x 0.085") and purfling (0.260" x 0.065") have been pre-bent (by LMI). My question is:

I expect to rout a single channel for the combined binding and purfling. Should I install the purfling first, let the glue dry, and then install the bindings, or should I glue the purfling to the bindings using the guitar sides as a form (the sides haven't yet had the linings/kerfings installed) and then, when the top and back are installed, rout the channel (having measured the combination thickness) and install the combination in a single step?

It seems like either way would work, but I expect that there are reasons for choosing one over the other. I just don't know what those are.
If I read this correctly, you are planning on using purfling that is .260" tall? That is not purfling, it is binding. Purfling should be about .080-090" tall, and the routing for purfling and binding should be done in two steps.

Depending on the methods of the builder, either gluing binding and purfling together or gluing purfling first can work. But don't glue them together off the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair