The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
If you look at the label in the image, you'll see that it contains heptane - Ronson Lighter Fluid is not pure naptha. I'd call that dilute.
Additive...not dilution.

And my bottle only lists Naptha. I suspect different states, different formulas (and different regulations).

[EDIT]Actually Wade's was manufactured in Canada and mine USA. Here's my label...[EDIT]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-10-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added a picture
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Additive...not dilution.
If there are fewer molecules of naptha per unit volume, how is it not dilution?

George
Old 01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
I'm very proud to live in a state where finances are sometimes not the bottom line, but quality of life is. If that stuff is banned in Cali, it should've been banned long ago and everywhere in the U.S. Not our fault that some folks just don't get that the good life is not pork-barrel politics.
Not all of CA as far as I know. Just Sonoma county. CA is also the only state I know of where pigeons are a protected species. Off topic yes, but to protect an overpopulated disease spreading species of bird I find totally ridiculous. Not trying to start an argument I just find some of CA's regulations silly.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
If there are fewer molecules of naptha per unit volume, how is it not dilution?
Because heptane makes it dissolve grease better and makes it more explosive. Enhancers make products 'more' reactive and effective (think octane boosters). They are additives, and they don't dilute gasoline, but make it burn hotter (and they cost more).

Diluting products make them less strong, less effective, and less reactive.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norml View Post
Also banned.
Exactly what I would expect in the state where a county banned McDonald's Happy Meals. I wonder if it's also banned in NYC where you can't get a 32 oz Big Gulp...

Jim
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM

DO NOT US GOOF OFF!!

This is coming for a professional painter of 12 years. That stuff will eat your finish like nobodies business!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker View Post
Exactly what I would expect in the state where a county banned McDonald's Happy Meals. I wonder if it's also banned in NYC where you can't get a 32 oz Big Gulp...

Jim
A California county actually banned McDonald's happy meals? Wow - and I sometimes fear that no progress is being made in food reform - - -

McDonalds should also be banned. So now that everyone here understands where I'm coming from, know that I consider my views to be those of a future man.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM

NEVER USE GOOF-OFF! Don't ask me how I know

Goo-B-Gone did not damage my Martins. But these days I stick with naptha.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM

hmm... nevermind

Last edited by downtime; 01-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM

I'd say Goo-Gone is safe to use.
Wade notice that Ronson was made in Canada. Just like the Brasso of old, that the ammonia was taken out. Just not as good anymore because of US regulations.
Dan
Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
I'm very proud to live in a state where finances are sometimes not the bottom line, but quality of life is. If that stuff is banned in Cali, it should've been banned long ago and everywhere in the U.S. Not our fault that some folks just don't get that the good life is not pork-barrel politics.

This is sarcasm, right? Natpha is just straight hydrocarbon. Are you going to ban kerosene next? #2 fuel oil? Gasoline? Natural gas? Propane?

Last edited by Steve Christens; 01-10-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I've used naptha on both catalyzed urethane finishes and nitrocellulose lacquer with excellent results and no damage. I've also used it on ebony and rosewood fingerboards to remove finger "gunk". If you do use it, just remember to let the rag fully dry in an open space away from flames or sparks.

Oh, and definitely do not use Goof-off on guitars!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM

Goo Gone has worked for me. But I'm not a future man, so don't pay me any mind!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Guest 1928

Naphtha is actually a class of light petroleum distillates. It can vary slightly from one manufacturer to another. As far as I know, all brands liquid lighter fluid are functionally "naphtha" even though some may have other components. "White gas" for camp stoves and lanterns is functionally equivalent as well.

I'm a mechanical engineer, not a chemist, so close enough for practical purposes is as deep as my knowledge goes on this subject. However, I've never damaged a lacquer finish with any of the products mentioned above.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Has anyone used Goof-Off on their guitar with a lacquer finish? Other alternatives?
Goof Off contains acetone, which will destroy that finish. Think of it as paint remover.

Ronsonol contains naphtha and other petroleum distillates and is fine to use on nitrocellulose or poly or any other surface. Fast, efficient, evaporates quickly, and leaves surfaces squeaky clean. Like any such product, keep away from flames and use in a well ventilated space - all of this stuff is carcinogenic.

When I replaced my very old bottle of Ronsonol last year, I noticed it no longer had the words "Contains Naphtha" on the label. Before using the new stuff, I discovered that in 2010 Zippo had purchased Ronsonol and was filling the yellow Ronsonol bottles with its Zippo lighter fluid. According to the MSDS, it is almost identical to the original formula. Looks, smells, and behaves the same, and I've been using it without ill effect for more than a year.

Goo Gone is also safe to use - I just don't like its gooey feel to the touch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion