The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 PM

Default Martin kits?

I noticed that Martin sells build your own Martin kits and I am interested in giving it a shot. Has anyone built one of theses before? I am fairly handy plus I know that I could always ask my local lutherie for help if I get too lost. Any thoughts?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 PM

Go over to the kit guitars forum, they may have some info. I just built a mandolin from a kit and it was an enjoyable learning experience and it actually sounds pretty good.

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/board/index.php
Old 04-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Be forewarned that you will need a lot of specialized (expensive) tools and jigs to do it right. You can improvise some of the jigs if you have strong woodworking experience, but there really is no substitute for the right tool when assembling a guitar.

Several Martins, 2 Guilds, a couple of kits and a Tilton (ever heard of those?),
some ukes and a 1920s Vega tenor banjo

Neil deGrasse Tyson — 'The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.'
Old 04-19-2012, 03:58 PM

The following pictures are of a kit that someone else started but could not complete. The body was together in rough form and that's about it. I bought the unfinished project on eBay.

It's a kit based on a Martin D-42 but with a little customizing done by my friend and partner Rick Celia who did 95% of the completion work. Rick did an an amazing job in the fit and finish including over 100 coats of hand rubbed poly on the neck and endless hours sanding and buffing the finish. Sylvan Wells of Wells Guitars helped out by providing his expertise and fixturing used in the setting of the neck.

Although the parts were bought a year ago, it was just finished up and "became a guitar" about 3 weeks ago.

Best of all, the guitar sounds absolutely fantastic. Rich and deep.

We decided to call it a "RT-42" with credits to the three builders/luthiers who had a hand in it's building. It's a keeper. Gonna keep it for myself!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 PM

I have built 3 of them. It's nice to have a lot of expensive equipment but not necessary. I would recommend a band saw as really the only really indispensable piece of equipment and a router. Other than than you can make do.

A lot of guys have what is called a go-bar deck. This is a wooden contraption that has fiberglass rods that you use to glue on the braces. There are many ways to skin a cat. I used some paint sticks I had laying around and clamps I got at harbor freight tools for cheap. You probably need a drill as well.

My first build was a Martin HD-28 Kit I bought from Blues Creek Guitars. I substituted out the Sitka Top for Adirondack Spruce. I love this guitar. Great tone. Soundwise it will compete just about anything they sell at guitar center. I am now branching out trying to build guitars without using a kit. If you can cut the wood yourself you can save alot of money.

Luthiers Mercantile International, Stewart McDonald, Blues Creek Guitars all sell kits. LMI tends to have charges the others don't however, ie an environmental charge for some bindings. I've bought the same binding with not charge and no special transportation. If you want to customize your guitar just ask.

Get a good Book. There is a good one written by Bill Cory. Sold at the kitguitarsforum.com. I've seen it on ebay. The book that comes with the Martin Kit is worthless so just throw it away.

Good luck. I am glad I did it and really pleased with the result.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hack View Post
.... I would recommend a band saw as really the only really indispensable piece of equipment and a router. Other than than you can make do.....You probably need a drill as well....Get a good Book....
All very true. I would add that a few basic hand tools such as chisels, clamps, and files will also be needed, but you won't need a shop full of expensive tools to put a kit together. If you have a good basic understanding of wood joinery and a little patience and creativity, you can build a kit. Read all the kit related books and materials you can find before you start. You can easily make jigs to clamp back braces creating a slight curve or radius on the guitar back and you can also make spool clamps and other clamps instead of buying them. If you read several different views on kit building you will find that indeed there can be several different approaches to any given step in the process. Martin supplies a booklet, but you will need more guidance than it provides. This booklet IMO assumes too much.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Say What???

You DO NOT need tons of specialized tools and you certainly don't need a band saw!
I built my first kit with three cam clamps, 4 ratchet clamps, some clothes pins and a Razor saw. The only specialized tool I spent money for was the bridge setter. Who wants to have the thing not play well after so much work? You will need a router to cut the binding channels.
I bought a mold too since it is kind of hard to build without one.
Here is a link to the blog I made about my first kit which I got from KMG guitars.
www.tonysbigbuild.blogspot.com

I also built it on the floor in my living room because I also did not have a shop back then. The only thing I ever made out of wood prior to this guitar was a pile of wood and fire. Don't let anyone discourage you. It is hard, but it can be done. Don't get into it thinking you will build a pre-war D-28 for under $500. Also be prepared to be addicted to building guitars. It is way too much fun to only build just one!

Tony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair