The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-28-2017, 01:08 PM

Default Update. Any chance this bridge's saddle postition will fit a '54 000-18

I have a players grade, repaired cracks etc., '54 000-18. Plays well and sounds good.
About a year ago I had a bridge/saddle blow out. The corners of the saddle slot cracked and the saddle leaned forward. I was able to re-glue it and it held for about one year and I used a fairly low saddle. The action was a little low. It held until I changed strings today. So I think it's time for a new bridge. I made one straight simple rosewood bridge in the past and it wasn't easy. I can't shape a Martin belly bridge.

What's the chance of this bridge working? The dimensions seem right, but will the saddle position be the same...want the intonation to be the same. I know it's not Brazilian and drop it, that's okay. Link below.
All advice or recommends welcome. thanks
https://www.amazon.com/Tyler-Mountai.../dp/B002MXULPW

Last edited by BB Brown; 02-01-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:16 PM

The intonation I can almost say for sure will be off. Pre-made bridges are handy for cheaper guitars but on nicer instruments they need to have a blank bridge cut for proper intonation.

If a luthier has the proper tools it can be done fairly quickly and well.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:37 PM

Even if it's player's grade it's still a valuable instrument, worth taking care of properly. Bridge removal and replacement is a simple surgery for an experienced luthier, but it has plenty of places where it's tricky and it can go wrong. Here's a partial list:
)wood can peel off the top when you remove the bridge
)your removal knife can dive into the grain if you go the wrong direction
)pin holes may not be in the same location as yours or may have different spacing. (pretty likely)
)Saddle slot may not be the same, ruining intonation (pretty likely)
)ball ends may have chewed up the bridgeplate
)top and bridge may have bellied or rolled and bottom of new bridge doesn't fit old top
) New bridge should be installed with HHG which is a little tricky to work with

If you don't have the skills and experience to make a belly bridge, then it seems likely to me that removal and replacement will be a tall order for you. If you're trying to learn how to do this do it on cheap pawnshop guitars.

If this guitar came into my shop with the original bridge, I would charge around $300-400 to remove, make a new one and reinstall, including repairing the bridgeplate if needed.

If you bring me this guitar with everything all mucked up, It'll probably be double that and more.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. I may have to bring it to someone to have a bridge made.
I am a hobbyist repair person, only working on my guitars. I've have removed bridges and done a few neck resets. I've removed the cracked bridge today and it came off fairly clean. The bridge plate is in good condition. I was just hoping to find a inexpensive bridge replacement and make a new saddle for it.

But I might have to buy some Brazilian stock and have someone shape a bridge.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:03 PM

It looks to be the same German bridge that is sold by Stew Mac:
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...ic_Bridge.html
They work OK for this application, but they are not as refined as a Martin bridge. For one thing, the bass and treble are the same thickness, while Martin bridges are thicker on the bass side. One plus is that some of the rosewood ones I have purchased are Madagascar RW, which looks and performs a lot like a Brazilian bridge.
Have you considered buying one from Martin? Their prices are very competitive. Their standard modern short saddle bridge will fit reasonably well if you trim about 1/32" off the front edge. Ask for Gail at Guitarmaker's Connection. If you give her the dimensions, she may be able to find one that is really close to the original.

Last edited by John Arnold; 01-28-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:33 PM

Thank you John, I wasn't aware Martin sold them direct to customers. I'm not far from Martin in Nazerath, I wondering if I could bring the old bridge with me would I be able to speak to Gail in person? Do they have a store front?
Old 01-28-2017, 07:25 PM

Yes. Guitarmaker's Connection is in the old factory on North Street. Call first to make sure of their hours. You will like Gail. She is very helpful.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:41 PM

If you don't find one at Guitar Makers Connection, since the bridge is off I bet there are luthiers that you could send your bridge to and they could replicate it for you. I doubt you'll get a Brazilian rosewood bridge from GMC. Some of the bridges that GMC sells have the pin holes parallel with the saddle slot, you don't want that configuration if your trying to fall into the existing holes on the guitar.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:32 PM

I went to Martin's old factory today as John suggested. It worked out great, Gail and another women (didn't get her name) spent about 25 minutes pulling bridges from all over the shop helping to find a match. I ended up with real nice color and size match, it's even a through saddle. They must have went through over 100 bridges. $12...amazing service.

I still will need to slot the pin holes. I'm assuming Martin did slot them in '54. The orinigal bridge I have is slotted, did Martin do this at the factory n 1954 or was it done another time?
What pins would have originally used? Unslotted black plastic ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair