The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-08-2017, 02:40 PM

Default How can I record my trio?

I have no clue as to what I am doing, but I want to record our trio. I have an iPad Pro and a cable that will connect to the Yamaha mixer. I have not downloaded an app for music yet.....
Any clues?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 PM

Google is your friend.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:14 AM

It would help to know the make-up of your group, the instrumentation and the purpose of the recording.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:55 AM

Our trio is vocals, electric guitar and electric drums and an acoustic guitar. We run everything into a Yamaha MGX12U mixer. Then it goes to a BOSE L1 CLASSIC. We are wanting to record INTO an iPad Pro with the idea of hearing ourselves.
The mixer has a USB port on the back and I have the cords that go from the lightning to usb. I am wondering if the USB port on the mixer is for input.....
Like I mentioned, I am not very educated in electronics.
I am also old, short and balding...which may have nothing to do with this issue. As a clue, I am not sure I can record thru the iPad microphone. Not that that is what we want, we want to record from the mixer, if possible.
I have goggled this but what I get is “ here is how to plug your pad in to your mixer". While I need that info, nobody mentions recording INTO the iPad.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Our trio is vocals, electric guitar and electric drums and an acoustic guitar. We run everything into a Yamaha MGX12U mixer. Then it goes to a BOSE L1 CLASSIC. We are wanting to record INTO an iPad Pro with the idea of hearing ourselves.
The mixer has a USB port on the back and I have the cords that go from the lightning to usb. I am wondering if the USB port on the mixer is for input.....
Like I mentioned, I am not very educated in electronics.
I am also old, short and balding...which may have nothing to do with this issue. As a clue, I am not sure I can record thru the iPad microphone. Not that that is what we want, we want to record from the mixer, if possible.
I have goggled this but what I get is “ here is how to plug your pad in to your mixer". While I need that info, nobody mentions recording INTO the iPad.
You set everything up on the mixer as normal, plugging in all the instruments to it. Connect your mixer via USB cable and the Camera Connection Kit (it's basically an adapter from USB to the iPad socket) to the iPad.
On the iPad you need some recording software, it could be Garageband or something else e.g. Presonus has a free app called Capture - it allows you to record only two tracks (or one stereo) but your mixer can only send through USB a stereo mix only, not individual channels.
The USB connector on the mixer is an output, for recording into a computer or an iPad.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:21 PM

I will give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks for the response.....
Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
We are wanting to record INTO an iPad Pro with the idea of hearing ourselves.
If this really is the goal, then the task is easy. You set the band up at one end of the room, stand the iPad up at the other end, fire up GarageBand, and press "record". It's a disturbingly clinical way of assessing your live sound -- usually painful, but very useful. The difficulty ramps up quickly when your goal is to create a CD-quality recording. I do the former all the time, but I gave up on the latter.

Last edited by AX17609; 12-10-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Making some headway....
Called my local Guitar Center asking for advice. After some time on the phone, with no progress, their sound guy invited me to come to the store and we would sit down and figure out how to record to my iPad.
It seems that I needed to download a program from Yamaha (my mixer) so it would accept the signals from the mixer. Hope to be able to try this later today.
I was pleased that not only did the GC person assist me, he invited me to the store so we could work on this in person. I do not really have problem with GC, but they ARE a big box retailer, with all that it entails. I was pleased with this service.
Issac at the North Portland store. Good guy. I will see him next time I need something. Service works......
Old 12-15-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Making some headway....
Called my local Guitar Center asking for advice. After some time on the phone, with no progress, their sound guy invited me to come to the store and we would sit down and figure out how to record to my iPad.
It seems that I needed to download a program from Yamaha (my mixer) so it would accept the signals from the mixer. Hope to be able to try this later today.
I was pleased that not only did the GC person assist me, he invited me to the store so we could work on this in person. I do not really have problem with GC, but they ARE a big box retailer, with all that it entails. I was pleased with this service.
Issac at the North Portland store. Good guy. I will see him next time I need something. Service works......
The "program" that you need is Cubase AI, which is bundled with that particular mixer. If you have your original paperwork, you should find a code for Cubase AI that will allow you to D.L. from the app store free of charge. Other than that, you just need the camera kit to connect the iPad to the mixer. If you have never used a DAW before, getting things connected will be the easy part. You will need an understanding of Cubase to actually start recording. There are many free tutorials available on youtube. Linda.com has many very well put together tutorials for a small monthly fee.I would suggest keeping things very simple to start with. It is easy for a beginner to get discouraged, due to the sheer volume of unfamiliar nomenclature. Don't over concern yourself with anything but the very basics to start with. Get a good understanding of your transport controls, how to arm your tracks, and gain staging.You will find that what may sound pleasing while you are performing doesn't always translate to a good recording.Experiment, and don't be afraid to try doing things that you wouldn't ordinarily do. It has been said a million times over, but bears repeating; Garbage in= Garbage out. Paying close attention to the sounds that you are recording by making sure that each instrument/voice is sitting well in the mix (as opposed one instrument intruding on another range) is the key to getting a recording you will be happy with. Be warned though, you are heading down a rabbit hole!! Lol. Hope that helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD