The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-12-2017, 08:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I was just looking at Bill Asher's instagram page. He does a lot of the Amulet installs for high profile artists (Paul Simon was one of the latest). He actually recommends using the barge cement method for the installation. I know Trance used to use this method. I wonder if it is in fact superior to the new tape method?
I'm lucky to live in L.A. Bill Asher works on all of Jackson Browne's, so I had him install mine for me. Perfect!

scott memmer
Old 11-12-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I'm lucky to live in L.A. Bill Asher works on all of Jackson Browne's, so I had him install mine for me. Perfect!

scott memmer
That's great! I agree with Sprucetop though, I think the cement or some type of glue would be best. To me, the tape used seems to give a bit of a thin type of tone. It always sounds to me like the transducers are not touching the top enough. I am not sure if this is true but Bill commented that the cement is easy to remove as well. I am tempted to give it a try.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Can the Trance Amulet M pickup be used in a nylon string guitar?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

scott memmer
Please Charmed Life Pick, can you post some audio samples of your guitar recorded with an external mic and the amulet installed by Bill Asher?

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-15-2017, 11:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Please Charmed Life Pick, can you post some audio samples of your guitar recorded with an external mic and the amulet installed by Bill Asher?

Cuki
Cuki, hi, sorry, been so busy; just saw your post.

Unfortunately, I have only one vid with the Trance playing, and the audio sucks. This is just playing the pickup by itself, no mic in front. HOWEVER, this place never turns the guitar up enough in the board when I'm playing without a pick. PLUS they jacked the gain on the slide way too high.

Anyway, I've been too busy to record any more, but will get to do more of these in 2018. Don't know that this will be much help, but here you go:

scott memmer
Old 12-16-2017, 05:16 AM

Thanks Scott

Great performance. Is the tone full open? The guitar tone is hard to hear clearly.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 AM

I am considering a new pickup system ..
Can I get a little guidance here?

I have a '95 Gibson J-35 Limited Edition coming (yay )
This particular model did not come with a pickup, So I want to add one for using live.

I have heard great things about the Amulet...
Thanks for this Thread!

Questions..

1) Would the TA Amulet be good for an already mid-range heavy guitar?
(Would another brand be better in this situation)... Or just rely on outboard EQ

2) Is it worth the extra few bucks for volume and tone controls.. My other guitar J45 has a Highlander ip-2. Which I think works great. (No volume control). So I won't miss it.

But does the TA work better with having these controls. (Like an electric pickup where you "ride" the volume or tone knob for effect).

3) Are their any forum sponsors that offer discounts on these ?

4) Any recommendations for installation in RDU area in NC?

Last edited by JakeStone; 12-16-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I am considering a new pickup system ..
Can I get a little guidance here?

I have a '95 Gibson J-35 Limited Edition coming (yay )
This particular model did not come with a pickup, So I want to add one for using live.

I have heard great things about the Amulet...
Thanks for this Thread!

Questions..

1) Would the TA Amulet be good for an already mid-range heavy guitar?
(Would another brand be better in this situation)... Or just rely on outboard EQ

2) Is it worth the extra few bucks for volume and tone controls.. My other guitar J45 has a Highlander ip-2. Which I think works great. (No volume control). So I won't miss it.

But does the TA work better with having these controls. (Like an electric pickup where you "ride" the volume or tone knob for effect).

3) Are their any forum sponsors that offer discounts on these ?

4) Any recommendations for installation in RDU area in NC?
Gibson put Trance Amulet M and Trance Amulet Stereo systems in several models of their guitars, e.g., Sheryl Crow and Jackson Browne, and maybe still do. If you have a Gibson dealer near you, they may have one of these models in stock that you can audition. Frankly, although I like Trance systems, and have recommended them to AGFers, the systems seem to be the bane of some who install them. Suggestion: just install a K&K Pure Mini and use a good preamp and don't worry about trying to extract every last ounce of good amplified acoustic tone from your guitar. If you could send your guitar to Gary Hull at Trance Audio for an installation, then I would say do the Trance system. I'm not sure Gary still does this service but he's done it for the named artists above and I think some regular players too.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-16-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Gibson put Trance Amulet M and Trance Amulet Stereo systems in several models of their guitars, e.g., Sheryl Crow and Jackson Brown, and maybe still do. If you have a Gibson dealer near you, they may have one of these models in stock that you can audition. Frankly, although I like Trance systems, and have recommended them to AGFers, the systems seem to be the bane of some who install them. Suggestion: just install a K&K Pure Mini and use a good preamp and don't worry about trying to extract every last ounce of good amplified acoustic tone from your guitar. If you could send your guitar to Gary Hull at Trance Audio for an installation, then I would say do the Trance system. I'm not sure Gary still does this service but he's done it for the named artists above and I think some regular players too.
That's how I first heard the Trance. It was installed in a custom shop, Advanced Jumbo. I am not sure if Gibson is using Trance anymore though. I want to say no since they moved to Lr Baggs.

I might just keep my Trance in, especially now that I will be using the Tonedexter. I just wish I knew why my Amulet M was making a hissing sound. The other odd thing is, with certain guitar cables, the jack does not want to hold the cable in place and it pops out during songs.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's how I first heard the Trance. It was installed in a custom shop, Advanced Jumbo. I am not sure if Gibson is using Trance anymore though. I want to say no since they moved to Lr Baggs.

I might just keep my Trance in, especially now that I will be using the Tonedexter. I just wish I knew why my Amulet M was making a hissing sound. The other odd thing is, with certain guitar cables, the jack does not want to hold the cable in place and it pops out during songs.
Gibson has used the LR Baggs Element Active (and its variations) for years in most of their guitars. It was only the more expensive guitars and Custom Shop models like those I mentioned that got the Trance systems. Apparently, the Jackson Browne model is no longer in production, so likely Gibson doesn't use Trance products anymore: Jackson Browne Signature Model
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-16-2017, 01:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Scotty,
Look to see if the inner threaded tube that accepts the 1/4" male jack is protruding a bit past the strap ring. Sometimes it needs to be extended so that the jack clicks in all the way.

HE
Old 12-16-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Gibson has used the LR Baggs Element Active (and its variations) for years in most of their guitars. It was only the more expensive guitars and Custom Shop models like those I mentioned that got the Trance systems. Apparently, the Jackson Browne model is no longer in production, so likely Gibson doesn't use Trance products anymore: Jackson Browne Signature Model
Oh sorry, should have been clear. What I meant is, Gibson seems to be favouring the Anthem for their custom shop and higher end models now.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Frankly, although I like Trance systems, and have recommended them to AGFers, the systems seem to be the bane of some who install them. Suggestion: just install a K&K Pure Mini and use a good preamp and don't worry about trying to extract every last ounce of good amplified acoustic tone from your guitar.
Thanks... I have the K&K is in my Larrivee.

I thought this would be a good chance to try something else..
Old 12-16-2017, 06:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Thanks Scott

Great performance. Is the tone full open? The guitar tone is hard to hear clearly.

Cuki
Cuki, thanks. One of my favorite tunes of all time. Finally, after playing it for thirty years, it's getting close.

In open mics, Cuki, I always try to set both the volume and tone knobs dead flat and let the house work with the tone. This is a wonderful venue, but they continually will not put gain up enough when I play fingerstyle. It's made even worse by over amplifying the slide guitar. They also do this when I play solo fingerstyle, but it's not as bad since I'm not competing with another (and louder) guitar. Thank God there's not a banjo within a hundred yards.

thanks!
scott
Old 12-16-2017, 06:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I was just looking at Bill Asher's instagram page. He does a lot of the Amulet installs for high profile artists (Paul Simon was one of the latest). He actually recommends using the barge cement method for the installation. I know Trance used to use this method. I wonder if it is in fact superior to the new tape method?
Scott, I think you knew I had Asher install my Trance in my Eastman. Fabulous job EXCEPT both the tone/volume knob and the battery holder ended up breaking completely free from the soundboard and had to be reglued. We had a particularly brutal heatwave in L.A. this past summer, so maybe that did it.

Sending you a PM....

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification