The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-11-2016, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Bose L1 Compact - Advice please.

Hi, I've just had an offer on a used one via E-bay. I plan to go to collect it on Monday.

I chose this because I was looking for tonal fidelity for my solo and trio work in small clubs, AND I can no longer lift p.a. systems.

Please "educate" me - what are the good/bad points?

What issues should I test for ?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-11-2016, 07:39 AM

Best to use a mixer with it, to bring out the full potential. By itself it sounds great. I advise a mixer for its EQ and effects, but in a live situation, not real necessary. Just plug in a play. I've had mine for a few years and the L1compact weighs 25lbs. and packs a wallop.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:50 AM
Guest4562

Small club, it's tremendous, particularly for vocals. I go through a small mixer then to the right side. Be sure to keep that little slide switch to "line level". I find I do have to eq some of the mids out of my guitar (1.6 on the PADI if that's what you use).

Despite the hype, it will feed back and it does have a 180 degree throw, so keep that in mind. Watch your highs on the vocal mics, depending on their frequency response and sensitivity. We keep it off to the side, not behind us. We can hear everything we need to hear and so does the audience. We have never had the need to put the volume up more than halfway, even outside.

I wish I'd had this thing years ago. I wasn't going to spend the money but my wife insisted. I'm glad she did.

I'm also glad I didn't opt for the larger system, the L1 with bass module. If we find a need for more firepower, I'll get second L1C.

Last edited by Guest4562; 11-11-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:58 AM

You will need a mixer if you want a trio to play through it.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:12 AM

You'll love it and wonder why you toted around all those heavy PA's when this absolutely sparkles. Crystal clear. Great for voice and acoustic guitar. But agree with others that it needs a mixer to even out the tone. Enjoy.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

If I read your thread correctly, a portion of what you'd like to know is WHAT? exactly, to test with this unit BEFORE you buy it...

Take a guitar (that has a pickup in it) and a dynamic microphone (like a Shure SM58 or what-have-you, plus the cords you'll need to connect them.

Set the unit up and plug it in (have the seller guide you through it the first time, although it is not a difficult procedure)... then zero all the volume controls and plug your stuff into the Compact...

Then stand off a bit and turn things up to a comfortable volume... with good cords, there should be ZERO noise... I have the "Big Brother" L1 Modell II (had the Model I for 6 years, too), and the thing is so quiet that I would leave it plugged in all night when playing through it at home!

If all sounds good without any fizzing, buzzing or crackling, you are good to go!

Now, learning about the thing will be fun! I would suggest signing in to the Bose User's Forum - it is all about the L1 and F1 products that Bose produces... all the moderators are actual employees of Bose, so you know the answers they give are "real"... it is truly a GREAT resource for anyone wanting information about any of the Bose PA stuff...

As someone stated, the dispersion from those tower speakers is 180 degrees (I have had audience members tell me they think the sound covers more than that!), so keep that in mind when you choose a location for the unit at a gig...

With the larger models, Bose recommends having the unit 8-12 feet behind the performer and on a diagonal... since I play acoustic guitar, I always position the PA so it's off my LEFT shoulder, to diminish the output interacting with the body of my guitar. For those stages where I have had to crowd things in a bit, you can experience a bit of feedback from your guitar, but nothing like what I wrestled with with a standard PA system.

One of the coolest things about the Bose PA's is that the performer can HEAR HIMSELF exactly as the audience does! Because the sound penetrates and disperses so thoroughly, you will sound louder in the audience than you might suspect. I would suggest getting a really long guitar cord and walking out where you can hear the thing while you play... you WILL be amazed!

Because the Compact has but two inputs (I believe that channel two will accept three inputs on it's own?), it is likely that a small mixer will be necessary for a trio, depending on what's being amplified...

I would not let the lack of effects discourage you in the slightest. When I first got my L1 Classic, I was dismayed that there were no effects whatsoever... and I don't really use/need much, just a bit of delay and reverb for the guitar and voice. What I discovered was that I really did not miss those effects at all; the natural reverb in EVERY room was plenty. Also, I could hear my voice and guitar so well that it actually made me a better player and singer...

Hope it's all good for you; you've got a lot of fun ahead of you, discovering exactly what that thing will do!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-12-2016, 05:22 AM

I'm really interested in this story, so I hope Mr. Moustache will update us on his experience.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
If I read your thread correctly, a portion of what you'd like to know is WHAT? exactly, to test with this unit BEFORE you buy it...

Take a guitar (that has a pickup in it) and a dynamic microphone (like a Shure SM58 or what-have-you, plus the cords you'll need to connect them.

Set the unit up and plug it in (have the seller guide you through it the first time, although it is not a difficult procedure)... then zero all the volume controls and plug your stuff into the Compact...

Then stand off a bit and turn things up to a comfortable volume... with good cords, there should be ZERO noise... I have the "Big Brother" L1 Modell II (had the Model I for 6 years, too), and the thing is so quiet that I would leave it plugged in all night when playing through it at home!

If all sounds good without any fizzing, buzzing or crackling, you are good to go!

Now, learning about the thing will be fun! I would suggest signing in to the Bose User's Forum - it is all about the L1 and F1 products that Bose produces... all the moderators are actual employees of Bose, so you know the answers they give are "real"... it is truly a GREAT resource for anyone wanting information about any of the Bose PA stuff...

As someone stated, the dispersion from those tower speakers is 180 degrees (I have had audience members tell me they think the sound covers more than that!), so keep that in mind when you choose a location for the unit at a gig...

With the larger models, Bose recommends having the unit 8-12 feet behind the performer and on a diagonal... since I play acoustic guitar, I always position the PA so it's off my LEFT shoulder, to diminish the output interacting with the body of my guitar. For those stages where I have had to crowd things in a bit, you can experience a bit of feedback from your guitar, but nothing like what I wrestled with with a standard PA system.

One of the coolest things about the Bose PA's is that the performer can HEAR HIMSELF exactly as the audience does! Because the sound penetrates and disperses so thoroughly, you will sound louder in the audience than you might suspect. I would suggest getting a really long guitar cord and walking out where you can hear the thing while you play... you WILL be amazed!

Because the Compact has but two inputs (I believe that channel two will accept three inputs on it's own?), it is likely that a small mixer will be necessary for a trio, depending on what's being amplified...

I would not let the lack of effects discourage you in the slightest. When I first got my L1 Classic, I was dismayed that there were no effects whatsoever... and I don't really use/need much, just a bit of delay and reverb for the guitar and voice. What I discovered was that I really did not miss those effects at all; the natural reverb in EVERY room was plenty. Also, I could hear my voice and guitar so well that it actually made me a better player and singer...

Hope it's all good for you; you've got a lot of fun ahead of you, discovering exactly what that thing will do!
Thank you! That IS the answer I was hoping for. So If I plug in and there's noise of any sort that signals an issue ? OK.

I am resigned to buying a small mixer, as I prefer to use a condenser mic, and I wonder how that will work with the wide dispersal.

The Trio is me on 6 &b 12 string guitar (both got K&Ks fitted yesterday) and Bob on backing vocals and mandolin and resonator guitar, plus Ian on double (or stick) bass - he uses a small bass amp sometimes.

The only fx I'd use would be a minimal reverb - the old fashioned way - turn it up until you can hear it then back one notch for a little presence.

Are they generally regarded as reliable ?
Old 11-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I am resigned to buying a small mixer, as I prefer to use a condenser mic, and I wonder how that will work with the wide dispersal.

. . . . me on 6 &b 12 string guitar (both got K&Ks fitted yesterday) . . .
We use two condenser mics (the ladies like them, I'm an SM-58 guy) and that is why I mentioned about high end sensitivity. That feedback does not give any warning, it's just suddenly there, so I roll off the the highs and reapply them on these mics to just enough enough to sound natural. In short, you can use them but it will be trial and error at first.

I have not had much luck with using this rig with my K&K equipped HD35. There is just too much low end produced that the Bose can reach out and grab, but my UST guitars work just fine with minimal tweaking. Again, the whole sonic environment, including the room, surfaces and number of people present, determines what will work. But given that this is your FOH and monitor system combined, it is, on balance, worth the effort.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
We use two condenser mics (the ladies like them, I'm an SM-58 guy) and that is why I mentioned about high end sensitivity. That feedback does not give any warning, it's just suddenly there, so I roll off the the highs and reapply them on these mics to just enough enough to sound natural. In short, you can use them but it will be trial and error at first.

I have not had much luck with using this rig with my K&K equipped HD35. There is just too much low end produced that the Bose can reach out and grab, but my UST guitars work just fine with minimal tweaking. Again, the whole sonic environment, including the room, surfaces and number of people present, determines what will work. But given that this is your FOH and monitor system combined, it is, on balance, worth the effort.
Most interesting, if a little worrying after fitting K&Ks. I reckon I'll neen , at least a 4 channel mixer
1x 6 string, 1x 12 string, 1 x condenser mic, plus 1 x small condenser mic for mando & reso guitar.

I was hoping to play both mics and guitars flat, but I guess I'll have to roll off bass on the guitars, and trebles on the vocal mic.

Any advice as to mixer ?
Old 11-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Guest4562

Quote:
Most interesting, if a little worrying after fitting K&Ks. I reckon I'll neen , at least a 4 channel mixer
1x 6 string, 1x 12 string, 1 x condenser mic, plus 1 x small condenser mic for mando & reso guitar.

I was hoping to play both mics and guitars flat, but I guess I'll have to roll off bass on the guitars, and trebles on the vocal mic.

Any advice as to mixer ?
Others will have suggestions, I'm sure, but this is the one we use:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1202FX

As to the K&K, don't hit the panic button yet. Your needs could be way different than mine depending upon, well many factors. Plug in and see what you get. If I had to use the HD35, I could with a little tweaking. I'm just lazy.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Others will have suggestions, I'm sure, but this is the one we use:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1202FX

As to the K&K, don't hit the panic button yet. Your needs could be way different than mine depending upon, well many factors. Plug in and see what you get. If I had to use the HD35, I could with a little tweaking. I'm just lazy.
Hi, thanks for that -looks about right - but I can't see a phantom power button ??
Old 11-12-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Hi, thanks for that -looks about right - but I can't see a phantom power button ??
It's global phantom and the button is right by the "power" light. The label says "48v" and has a little marker from the button to the red "phantom on" light.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:02 AM

I love the Compact; here are a few points from my perspective:

Had the L1 with the bass module but found the Compact works just as well for my small clubs/bars I play.

I use the Bose T1 mixer and in fact attached a mount Bose makes for the L1 to the back of the Compact stack so I can hang the T1 as it does on the L1.

My first Compact was stolen and I immediately bought a new one. There is nothing like it, and I've tried other amps/PAs just out of curiousity. Most recently I bought the JBL Eon One; very weak pre-amp and not nearly the full sound the Compact delivers. The Bose quality also beats it hands-down.

Finally, if I need a little extra horsepower for a large gig, I run the line-out from the Compact to a self-powered QSC 10" (any self-powered speaker will do of course) on a stand. It throws over the crowd while still allowing me to mix the Bose sound in. Really full and folks always comment on it.

They haven't built a better mousetrap yet, at least as far as I'm concerned. Cheers!

Steve-R
Old 11-14-2016, 05:58 AM

Hi Steve-R

Can you be more explict about:
Quote:
not nearly the full sound the Compact delivers
The JBL eon one has a 10" subwoofer, the L1 compact has an 8" speaker. The subwoofer cabinet seems to be also bigger (more air mass). I believe the JBL eon one should deliver more low end in theory at least... Can you then precise what you meant by "full".

I've never found the L1 compact to be "full" sounding especially compared to his big brother the L1 model II.

Constructor specifications
Frequency range (-3dB) 65 Hz- 14kHz (L1compact)
Frequency range (-3dB) 45 Hz- 18kHz (Eon one)

Frequency range (-10dB) 50 Hz- 16kHz (L1 compact)
Frequency range (-10dB) 37.5 Hz- 18.5kHz (Eon one)

Of course it does not say how flat is the spectrum (the L1 compact has ver flat response thanks to DSP corrections I believe)

You are not the first one, I've heard who owned both and favoured the Bose. I wish I knew why...

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification