The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-18-2014, 03:35 PM

Hi Stix,

I just got back here again and at this point, I agree that there's a tone difference between the Korean and handmade versions, a pretty significant one, but I'm not sure any of that will come through on a recording that I put up later.

Anyway: I got an email from Kent via Django that says:

Code:
Here's what Kent said: It sounds like he got a PAF OT and is trying to put it were there is a PAF O..  So if he has the room he needs the PAF O
Which has me kind of confused since I can't find a PAF-0t anywhere online, so I'll give Kent a call and ask him what the deal is. I'm sure I did no damage to the pickup I installed so could easily remove it and switch it for the other one, but I'm so happy with it, I'm going to need to know what this 0t version is.

Anyone here heard of a PAF-0t (or is it ot)?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 PM

I removed a video I'd put up of the pickup mostly because I just couldn't get YouTube to play it the way it sounded. Must be the way I created it. Anyway, I talked with Kent today and he is going to send me a slightly different arrangement so I'll redo a video when that happens.

Last edited by mhs; 10-20-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Mistake: More to come eventually
Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Yesterday I received a package from Kent Armstrong in the mail that contained what appears to be a hand-milled pickup ring that looks perfect in height for my particular Eastman setup. Very nice of him to do this and I'm sure it'll get the pickup height correct.

Anyway: I'll pick this up and stick up some sound clips when I've done this. I won't be able to get to this again until next week sometime. I'm also awaiting some real Rosin-core solder (60/40) and 4 black pickup ring screws that'll be tall enough for the new pickup ring.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 PM

I completely forgot about the forum for a few months and am just getting back. I was Papol before but switched to my initials to get closer to my name.

I've had the handmade Kent Armstrong installed for months and it is a terrific sounding pickup. I had uploaded some videos for awhile, but at some point realized they weren't representative (bad recordings) so I made them private, and am going to upload some new ones that are going to be better (in theory). ;)
Old 02-22-2015, 11:45 PM

Default Benedetto PU

I just stripped out all the electronics/wiring in my blonde AR371 (purchased as NOS, scratch and dent for $600) and replaced the pots and jack, and the PU with a Benedetto B-6 (~$100). Wow. Now it sounds like a real jazz guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops