The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 PM

Default Action Needs raising?

I just got my first decent guitar, a fender MIM strat and I got it set up by a local guitar tech and as I am sort of a beginner I did not know how I needed the action to be but after playing for a week or so, I find that I experience buzzing all over. My guitar teacher is saying it might need a slight raise in action as being a beginner I am lacking that smoothness of touch in the picking arm. So, should I go for it?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:20 PM

Default Action Needs raising?

It's easy to do on a Strat and very reversible. Go for it. If you're handy, there are a ton of YouTube videos that show how to do this. Honesty, even if you're not handy, you could just adjust the screws a quarter turn, then test if the buzzing stops.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
It's easy to do on a Strat and very reversible. Go for it. If you're handy, there are a ton of YouTube videos that show how to do this. Honesty, even if you're not handy, you could just adjust the screws a quarter turn, then test if the buzzing stops.
Agreed. This is the easiest adjustment you'll ever do. Go for it.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Another nod to it being an easy adjustment. You will need a very small Allen wrench to fit the saddle adjustment screws. Another way to reduce buzzing is to go one gauge heavier strings, but if you have beginner's fingers I would not go that direction.

Some buzzing may be unavoidable, but you can have quite a bit before the pickups start to amplify it. It's a trade off we make for that easy playability and light feeling under the fingertips.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 PM

Learn do your own basic set ups, it is not hard to learn, you only need a few inexpensive tools, and you will save a ton of money over the years. Most instruments need seasonal adjustments to them, why pay someone a bunch of money to turn some screws and nuts?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:17 PM

I second what you've already heard. Go for it! Leo designed them simple.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse777 View Post
I just got my first decent guitar, a fender MIM strat and I got it set up by a local guitar tech and as I am sort of a beginner I did not know how I needed the action to be but after playing for a week or so, I find that I experience buzzing all over. My guitar teacher is saying it might need a slight raise in action as being a beginner I am lacking that smoothness of touch in the picking arm. So, should I go for it?
Is it buzzing when plugged in or just acoustically? If you can't hear it through the amp I would generally say to ignore it.

I agree with the rest of the advice, though. I foolishly played with poor setups in my early days because I was afraid to adjust anything. There is no longer any need for that, the internet (especially YouTube) is full of good info on doing setups. Just keep track of what you've done, and if you don't like it just undo it. I have high-end electrics, and no longer even consider taking them to a tech for setups.

BTW: always get neck relief set right before fiddling with the action.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Is it buzzing when plugged in or just acoustically? If you can't hear it through the amp I would generally say to ignore it.

I agree with the rest of the advice, though. I foolishly played with poor setups in my early days because I was afraid to adjust anything. There is no longer any need for that, the internet (especially YouTube) is full of good info on doing setups. Just keep track of what you've done, and if you don't like it just undo it. I have high-end electrics, and no longer even consider taking them to a tech for setups.

BTW: always get neck relief set right before fiddling with the action.
Yes I can hear it through the headphones.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Learn do your own basic set ups, it is not hard to learn, you only need a few inexpensive tools, and you will save a ton of money over the years. Most instruments need seasonal adjustments to them, why pay someone a bunch of money to turn some screws and nuts?
haha ya I should start doing them on my own but I am jus afraid I would ruin my guitar If I do it by myself. Anyways the guitar tech here is a really nice guy and he does not usually charge for this. But ya I will slowly start learning how to do stuff myself.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:21 AM

After my tele was set up (first electric), I got home and it buzzed.

I don't know why, but every time I get someone to look at a guitar, it plays nice at the store and buzzes at home. I think I just play timidly at the store and then try to rock at home

Anyway, all that said, I had no online tutorial or know how... and I raise my action at home. I realized I didn't like it at first and eventually adjusted it again and then set the pickup heights. Again, I had no knowledge how to do this, but trial and error made it nice. Probably nobody else would like it, but its my guitar my set up and I rock out on it
Old 10-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Loosen your strings a bit first before raising the saddles.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:16 AM

a little bit of unplugged buzz is normal on an electric that doesn't have a quarter-mile high action, but if you are hearing buzzing that isn't allowing the notes ring out clear and true when you are plugged in, then your guitar tech handed you back a guitar set up that isn't correct.

take it back and have him/her do it again. have it set back to factory specs. -action, neck relief, pick-up height, trem, etc... this should be your baseline. then take it from there.

imo, you should learn how to play on a guitar in a stock condition until you know more.

Last edited by arie; 10-03-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

If an accomplished player can play your guitar without having it buzz, then what is needed is for YOU to develop the skill set required to play an electric guitar...

It takes a MUCH lighter touch with both the fretting hand and the picking hand on an electric, as opposed to an acoustic guitar. You are going to have to get used to it sometime or other, and you may as well start out with that focus in mind. It isn't all that difficult, once you get the hang of it.

I absolutely do not agree that you don't have the ability to do this... the human machine is incredible and highly capable of adjusting and compensating in the most minute areas.... trust yourself and learn to play correctly.

You also may want to have heavier gauge strings on that Strat, in which case it will need to be adjusted for whatever gauge you choose to have on it. I'm pretty sure I started out with 9's on my electrics, then 10's, until now I have 11's on both my Gibson ES345 and my Taylor T-5; both of those guitars are a slightly shorter scale than a Strat, so they spec' out closer to 10.5 than 11, I'd guess.

Learning how to do basic adjustment on your instrument is a good thing to know, but it is not necessary for your progression as a player.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-04-2014, 09:03 AM

maybe you just need a better guitar tec. there is a lot involved within great action.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

...check it out boss...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars