The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-25-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you've never played one those rubber strings are not everyone's cuppa tea, so be aware of that before you buy. Since you say weight is a consideration, I'd ditto Staredge on the Hofner; these usually come in between 4-5 pounds (FYI Sir Paulie Mac didn't go back to his just for old-times' sake - none of us are getting any younger ) - a couple pounds less than the copies, BTW - comparable in price to the GoldTone and Kala, and with one of these you'll probably never even know you've got it on:

http://www.slingerstraps.com/

If price is a real consideration and you don't want to give up your mando and uke, there's also the similarly-styled Rogue VB100 at around $220 from MF and GC. Be forewarned that quality can be spotty with these, though; if you get a good one they can be genuine diamonds-in-the-rough, but the bad ones are total dogs in every sense of the word - caveat emptor...
Thanks Steve... The shoulder issue isn't about weight it is about reach. The more I extend the more pain is generated the longer my left arm is extended. I tend to play the 6 and 12 string fairly close to the body.

The dumping of the mandolin and uke are a personal decision to avoid the distraction of a totally different discipline for each. The bass I really need to fill a spot in my recordings where as the other two are just fun distractions.

Thanks!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 09-25-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
- or for about $30 more you could have one of these:

http://www.fender.com/squier/basses/...ndy-apple-red/

IMO it's money well-spent for the upgraded tuners and the second pickup - that P/J combination should get you just about any tone you're likely to need. BTW it does come in other colors - having come of age musically in a certain time I just think candy-apple red is the ultimate color for a Fender...
+1

I own the black version (some of us prefer the dark side of the Force) of the Squier Jag SS linked above. A nice versatile bass and the SS makes it comfy for my guitar player hands.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-25-2014, 11:05 AM

Outside your price range, but if weight and reach are your concerns, there is nothing better than a Rob Allen Mouse 30. Rob's bridge placement and headstock make this 30" scale bass the same overall length as a guitar. Weight is generally around 5 pounds. The top horn makes for a very short reach in the low register. The rigid neck allows the E string to be detuned and still sound very solid, covering some 5 string range.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
- or for about $30 more you could have one of these:

http://www.fender.com/squier/basses/...ndy-apple-red/
I believe the last musician's friend catalog had that bass on sale for $179.00

Was thinking about that one, or the Squier Mustang VI for $299.00

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars