The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Cocobologist

Two Strats & a Tele in my grouping. Love the way a Strat plays, love the versatility in the tone. I also love how easy it is to experiment with different pickups and hardware. Want to try something different? It's as easy as loading up a spare pickguard with the new pickups, a couple quick solder points, a few screws, and restring. I currently have SCN's on one of the Strats, and 57/62's on another. Completely different tone, yet both are unmistakably Stratocaster.

The Tele is a cheap little Squier model that plays very well. Swapped out the cheap electronics for a couple Seymour Duncan vintage style p'ups and new control switches & pots. Suddenly a sub $200 guitar sounds and plays like one costing many times more! Lots of classic twang in the bridge p'up, but it's easy to click over to the neck pickup and roll back the tone control for wonderful warmth with plenty of clarity. Another versatile winner!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 09-22-2014, 01:07 PM

I'm a Tele guy, and I've never owned a Strat. But I want one. It is the most beautiful, ergonomically-sound, versatile electric guitar ever. It is the Sam Adams Lager of guitars -- it's ubiquity has helped us all forget how radical and groundbreaking and excellent it is.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Love the 4 setting. Mark knopfler all the way.
Yep, this is why I bought a strat way back -- because I loved Mark Knopfler's sound. I still love it, but I have also learned to like all kinds of other sounds available from a strat. I don't own a tele (though I have been thinking about getting one), but I really do love the sound of a good Stratocaster.

- Glenn
Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 PM

I own Telecasters...

I did own a 1978 ( maybe 9) hardtail one piece body all original unit.. 9.7 condition.
We did not bond. I offed it for A $2000 profit after 2 years of ownership.

It did not sound like other Strats which I prefer such as the Eric Johnson..

perhaps one day.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:46 PM

I like the Strat body, but I don't like the whammy bar.

If I do ever get a strat , it has to be hard tail, and left-handed. hard to find.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameetnsharma View Post
I like the Strat body, but I don't like the whammy bar.

If I do ever get a strat , it has to be hard tail, and left-handed. hard to find.
I built mine .
1 piece cherry body , 1/4 sawn walnut neck with a Madagascar rosewood board .
CS 69 pickups and a unique wiring the doubles up on the tone pots for positions 1 , 3 & 5 and no volume control .
If I want volume control , I can use a pedal .
This wiring allows for some very cool sounds from the oft maligned bridge pup by having two pots active on it .
It even adds dimension to the middle pup .
I never dial in the second pot on the neck pup , too muddy with the highs cut that much . In fact , I never cut back on the tone with the neck pup .
I still get a good quack from 2 & 4 .
Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I built mine .
1 piece cherry body , 1/4 sawn walnut neck with a Madagascar rosewood board .
CS 69 pickups and a unique wiring the doubles up on the tone pots for positions 1 , 3 & 5 and no volume control .
If I want volume control , I can use a pedal .
This wiring allows for some very cool sounds from the oft maligned bridge pup by having two pots active on it .
It even adds dimension to the middle pup .
I never dial in the second pot on the neck pup , too muddy with the highs cut that much . In fact , I never cut back on the tone with the neck pup .
I still get a good quack from 2 & 4 .
Nice! Can you post a pic?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:40 PM

I had an all maple, natural finish strat that I loved, but sold. Before I did, I made a copy of the body and neck in mahogany, through neck design. I then hauled that body around through life for about 30 years. This spring I finished it. Two American strat pickups, and an Original Bill Lawrence humbucker in the bridge. Yes, the strat pickups sound like a strat. The OBL screams like a humbucker can scream. I love the strat sound, but I wanted something truly versatile, and this does it for me. All in, including the professional setup at the end, about $700. And ****, it's pretty.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:10 AM

And once again, it's in the garden

Nice bush...
Old 09-23-2014, 09:08 AM

Where else would you sit to play?

I like that bush. My wife hates it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars