The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Default Any other fiddle players on here???

I didn't notice a single thread in the "other stringed instruments" section about fiddle players and I am curious if I am the only fiddle/guitar player on here. Surely there are others out there too! Chime in if you are and lets talk fiddles!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-17-2011, 06:55 AM

<raises hand shyly>
Old 12-17-2011, 10:06 AM

Default fiddlers

guilty as charged
Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Count me in.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:26 PM

Wow, 4 of us!! You know what they say, it takes a unique person to play the fiddle and that is why there are so few of us!! What do the rest of you play? I play a October 2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle, a Marco Raposo bow and a crazy hybrid mix of strings with Helicore heavy gauge on my G, D and A strings and a Evah Pirazzi heavy gauge gold wound E string.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
What do the rest of you play?
I've got three fiddles - the best is a late 19th-century instrument, probably Bavarian or maybe Austrian, and probably originally positioned as an instrument for an an advanced student.

The second has a lion-head scroll, but I doubt very much that it's an authentic Stainer - it's just altogether too unrefined, but then again its earthiness suits my own unsophisticated Southern English playing style.

The third - and the one that I play with my band - is a Yamaha electric.

I've a French carbon fibre bow - can't remember the maker offhand - and a few run-of the-mill conventional ones.

Last edited by Andy C; 12-18-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:14 AM

I've got a few.

I still have my first fiddle. A 1912 (maker unknown) I bought at a flee market in Texas for $75 about 35 years ago. It had been stepped on and crushed and a farmer had put it back together. He told me if I ever had problems with it to drive down to the town of Earth, Texas and ask for "the fiddle player" and anyone in town could direct me to his farm. Haven't had problems with it yet (although I would describe its tone as "cardboard").

I've also an 1860's fiddle that belonged to my wife's great-great-grandfather who lived in Louisiana. It had the big French cross inlayed on the back of the body. The the finger board has groves worn in it. From the groves you can tell this thing was played a LOT in the keys of D and A in the first position. Probably a lot of Cajun music had been played on this instrument. We got it thru an inheritance in 2005 and it needs to have the sound post & tailpiece reinstalled (the parts are in the old coffin case) and I've just not gotten around to doing that so I don't know how it sounds. Also, somewhere along the way someone refinished it, which is a major bummer as the new finish looks like a very think tone killer.

I just gave my Yamaha Silent Violin to my son. I bought it so I could practice the fiddle and the gift of mercy at the same time. ;-) But I never really connected with that instrument.

The fiddle I play at gigs is a 1944 hand made by W. C. Jameson out of Memphis. I've never heard of him before I bought this fiddle, but it plays and sounds GREAT. I've got an LR Baggs pickup/bridge on it and plug it into an LR Baggs ParaAcoustic DI and from there into the PA. Its a really wonderful instrument.

You can see it in the photo below (just to the left of my amp) at one of my gigs.

and you can see it hanging on the wall behind me in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZamarGee.../1/bEYBzaB7eY4

I hope to upload some fiddle videos soon. I've got one in mind that will be fun, but its going to take some time.

Last edited by 815C; 12-18-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:34 PM

Here are a few pics of my pride and joy when it comes to musical instruments! I love my Taylor guitars but playing the fiddle is my real passion. If you aren't familiar with a Horner fiddles, he gets a dark, loud tone out of his fiddles that I have never seen in any others. I can't stand a fiddle that sounds "tinny" or real bright. This fiddle was based on the Paganini Cannon.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Guilty 2 fiddles, 4 bows, I started on mandolin and the fiddle was a natural. Basic fingering was no problem, correct intonation on the other hand was. I probably enjoy it the most of all the instruments I play.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:58 PM

Hi All:

I just started learning the fiddle 3 months ago, after a long period of indecision at my advanced age (59 yr.). About 3 years ago, I had read either on this forum or the Martin guitar forum that it was a difficult instrument to learn for a guitarist, unless you start young. So I approached it with great intrepidation. For many years I kept in my wallet the name of a fiddle teacher that was recommended by a local stringed instrument shop owner. It took a personal tragedy in my life this past summer to get me to realize that life was too short, and that I had better seize the moment. Being uncertain how I would take to the fiddle, I decided to rent first rather than buy, in case it was too much to handle. Then I called the fiddle teacher, being uncertain if she would still be at the same phone number. To my surprise she answered the phone! To me that was a good omen of things to come. I learned that she had a impressive history in both the classical and bluegrass worlds.

Fast forward to today, I can now read music, and play old standards such as Amazing Grace, Old Joe Clark, and Dixie. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and kick myself for waiting so long.

But I have a question for you pro's out there. In acoustic guitar, the choice of strings has an influence on tone. Is this also true of fiddles? I would like to soften the tone of my violin. It sounds loud and bright. I am currently using Evah Pirazzi strings. Will switching to another brand soften the tone? Please recommend. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post

But I have a question for you pro's out there. In acoustic guitar, the choice of strings has an influence on tone. Is this also true of fiddles? I would like to soften the tone of my violin. It sounds loud and bright. I am currently using Evah Pirazzi strings. Will switching to another brand soften the tone? Please recommend. Thanks!
I am far from a pro fiddle player but I can answer your question, partially. Yes, strings definitely make a difference in tone with fiddles! If you are wanting to soften up the tone of your fiddle, you really need to get away from Evah Pirazzi strings. They are known for how loud they are. I have had two sets on my fiddle and love the sound, hate the price tag. Being a bluegrass fiddle player, I always wanted to make my fiddle louder to get over the rest of the instruments when I am taking a break, so I only know strings that are good for that. I currently used D'addario Helicore heavy gauge strings on my G, D, A strings and an Evah Pirazzi heavy gauge gold wound E string. I have played D'addario Zyex strings too and really like them too. You can't beat Helicores in my opinion. Just try a lighter gauge string. The best advice I can give you is this. Every fiddle sounds different and you really just have to expirement with different brand strings to find the volume and tone that sounds best with your instrument. Your teacher should be able to point you in the right direction. Check out Southwest strings on the internet when you are buying, they have always worked really well with me and are very reasonable on their prices. By the way, welcome to the awesome world of being a fiddle player!!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 PM

Tnfiddler:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give those strings a try at the next change.

regards,
Luke
Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 PM

I played fiddle before I played guitar.....
Old 12-25-2011, 06:00 PM

Been playing guitar for about 20 years, and fiddle for about 6 months. I play my grandfather's 1904 VC Squier with one of his bows. They had been sitting under a bed at my aunt's house since he died in 1972. My playing is still very rough but I'm having a blast with it.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 12-25-2011, 09:58 PM

I've been playing for 7 years now and my playing is still rough!!! I have always heard that it takes 10 years to make a fiddle sound bad!!!LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments