The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Default Assemble first, or finish first?

I've seen threads with assembled guitars being sent off for finishing, but I've also seen where folks finish first, then put the bridge and neck on. The idea of removing finish to install the bridge, and doing it neatly, seems daunting. Not to mention the effect of finish thickness on the neck set. What's the deal?
Old 09-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

There are many ways to skin a cat. No one way is "The way"...... except French Polish maybe. A hand rubbed finish would be a lot more difficult to keep even with a neck and bridge in place. You can/I do block off a chunk of where the bridge would go with tape so the peeling of the finish at the bridge is a touch easier.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm with John on this one.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
A hand rubbed finish would be a lot more difficult to keep even with a neck and bridge in place.
Don't most classical builders French Polish with the neck attached?

That's my plan. Neck is on. Bridge will be off and masked. Ask me how it went in a couple months.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 09-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I've seen threads with assembled guitars being sent off for finishing, but I've also seen where folks finish first, then put the bridge and neck on. The idea of removing finish to install the bridge, and doing it neatly, seems daunting. Not to mention the effect of finish thickness on the neck set. What's the deal?
I suspect that 99% (or more) steel string acoustics are finished, then assembled. I also suspect that most of the pictures of assembled guitars you've seen that were being sent for finishing were just mocked up for pictures but were actually finished apart. I'm pretty sure Joe White (AGF member getgo), who finishes guitars for a bunch of the builders around here won't do a finish on an assembled guitar. Removing the finish for the bridge, by scraping or routing only takes a few minutes. Some builders/finishers mask for the bridge. A good finish is .005" thick, or less. It only take a few seconds to floss the neck checks for the same fit that was there before finishing. I recently finished a cutaway with the neck on, per my clients request. He wanted in to be smooth where the neck transitioned to the cutaway. It was a real pain working with the neck and body in one piece. I charged $50 more for this, and will charge even more if I do it to another one. I don't think finishing the neck and body together would have been necessary for a smooth transition.

I believe most Classicals are finished assembled. Obviously there would be no other way with a Spanish Heel.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM

I've finished classicals fully assembled and apart and finished steel strings fully assembled and apart. Both work. Finishing the body separately from the neck is definitely easier. Trying to fill, level and buff in corners where the neck meets the body takes more time/effort, often with less stelar results.

Some designs don't allow the neck to be assembled after finishing.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 09-09-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Charles, someday I'm going to get brave enough to try a cutaway/neck heel like yours.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackett Instruments View Post
Charles, someday I'm going to get brave enough to try a cutaway/neck heel like yours.
The design is inspired by the work of Oscar Graf, whose guitars I first saw in the early 1980's. His work is second to none. http://www.grafguitars.com/home.html

Last edited by charles Tauber; 09-10-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:01 AM

Default Question

Charles your cutaways are second to none wow.......

Woody is your cutaway guitar sycamore?
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinchriver View Post
Charles your cutaways are second to none wow.......

Woody is your cutaway guitar sycamore?
Osage Orange, with a Euro Spruce top. Client wanted the cutaway to be "different" so I used Rosewood for it.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

The 80's 90's Yamaha's and also Alvarez MD's I have owned have a heck of a finish build up at the neck joint. Those were definitely sprayed assembled! The finish at that location is usually hazy. Kept some great sounding guitars cheap!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair