The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-08-2011, 08:28 AM

Default Guitar building as a hobby?

Does anyone build their own guitars as a hobby? Or is there too much work and specialized equipment that goes into making an acoustic to make it a viable past time?

My father is in the process of building a new "shop". Hes collected an enormous amount of tools over the years and we're finally gonna have a good work space for them.

I've wanted to take a crack a building my own guitars for a long time. Just curious if its something that can be done.

I mean I'm sure anyone with half a brain can make a GSO, but could someone with reasonable carpentry skills make anything of quality with some practice without spending $1000's on specialty tools?

Obviously there is a ridiculousness amount of knowledge i would have to absorb before attempting something like that, but i figured with as many builders that hang around here i could get an idea ahead of time whether or not I'm nuts for even thinking about it.
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 AM

We've got a whole sub-forum dedicated to it: Build and Repair on AGF

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 09-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsDad View Post
We've got a whole sub-forum dedicated to it: Build and Repair on AGF
Lol. Oh, well...that would probably be a good place for me to ask questions then huh?

Thanks.
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Thanks to whomever moved this for me!

Question remains the same for anyone kind enough to lend some advice.
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 09-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Sure! Tools can be very expensive BUT most are to make life easier not necessary. As an example; You can thickness sand the way it was done for centuries (Planer) or use a table top thickness sander like the Jet 10/20 that will set you back over $500.
Another option is to order a kit from StewMac, Blues Creek or LMI (or others)
LMI will prep whatever parts you like or can't handle in your shop. I am sure John at Blues Creek would also do such prep. John is a one man operation and is always there for you and your questions.
Building has to be a desire to build. Not a desire to save money. Its like buying a Bass boat and fishing gear to save money on fish!
Start with Alex Willis's book. Lots of pictures and a interesting read. Not a great building book however. There are a number of how to build books. Many who build consider the Campiano book to be the bible. Stew Mac sells a how to build a kit guitar video. A few Luthiers have many disc sets of videos on building. Our own John Mays has a nice set of DVD's available on building acoustics.
Good luck! Ask questions.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:21 AM

You can actually build a guitar with basic carpentry tools. As far as specialty tools go, it just depends on how you want to build your guitars. Stuff like molds, radius dishes, go-bar decks, etc. you can build. You could even build guitars without those things. Lots of stuff like that is really nice to have and super useful, but not absolutely necessary. There are a few specialty tools you will need though. A bridge pin reamer is the only one I can think of that you really must have. Bearing guided bits for cutting binding are really nice, although you can get away without them. Hope that helps.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBromiAndufEwd View Post
Does anyone build their own guitars as a hobby? Or is there too much work and specialized equipment that goes into making an acoustic to make it a viable past time?

My father is in the process of building a new "shop". Hes collected an enormous amount of tools over the years and we're finally gonna have a good work space for them.

I've wanted to take a crack a building my own guitars for a long time. Just curious if its something that can be done.

I mean I'm sure anyone with half a brain can make a GSO, but could someone with reasonable carpentry skills make anything of quality with some practice without spending $1000's on specialty tools?

Obviously there is a ridiculousness amount of knowledge i would have to absorb before attempting something like that, but i figured with as many builders that hang around here i could get an idea ahead of time whether or not I'm nuts for even thinking about it.
Yes it can be done, and no you are not crazy .... Things that you'll need to make or buy are, body molds, radius dishes (or at least a way to put a radius into your tops and bottoms), and a drum sander would be great to have. I assume your dad will have the other tools that may be helpful like a bandsaw, routers, drill press, jointer, table saw, etc. Oh, and clamps (lots of clamps) are really nice to have....

Good luck!
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 09-08-2011, 12:00 PM

This is very exciting. I have access to lots of tools you'd see normally well equipped wood shop, table saw, band saw, radial arm saw, scroll saw, clamps, chisels, sanders, routers, etc.

I definitely understand the idea of "right tool for the job". Sometimes you can get by with something, sometimes it just makes sense to purchase what you need.

As far as building guitars to save money...I guess i must confess the thought had crossed my mind that long term, if i could learn to build guitars that i was satisfied with it would be cheaper that buying new...but that is certainly far from the driving force behind my desire to build a guitar. Obviously building a guitar is going to require significant investments, tools, materials, and time. Time isnt as much as issue, as i dont pay myself :-P Tools, hopefully between my father and I we'll have 90% of what we need and the rest can be built or bought for a 1 time expense.

Materials, i have no clue what the comparative cost to buying materials vs buying a finished product...Id venture a completely uneducated guess a new guitars cost is maybe....30% material? The rest goes into labor and markup? Id love to know what that number actually is.

The REAL reason i want to build guitars is....i mean come on...you're building a guitar!! Incredible pieces of craftsmanship that sound equally as beautiful as they look.

I'm fairly young (27) Ive always worked with my hands, my dads been a wood shop junky since i can remember. (he built the new solid cherry kitchen cabinets in my house) and I'm addicted to playing guitar. I think if i could get into building guitars, that could be something that i could do for years to come...even if its only 1 every year or so.

Looks like I've got some books/Dvds to look up and get started on research.
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Looks like I've got some books/Dvds to look up and get started on research.
If you're not familiar with Stewart MacDonald, you'll have fun lusting through their tools and materials - but be prepared for sticker shock. But you're access to tools and understanding that old ones can be modified for new jobs is correct. It's always amazed me what one can do with a roll of duct tape.

http://www.stewmac.com/

StewMac offers some very good books and DVDs on building guitars, which are well praised by those who've perused them:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Video,_DVD.html

I'm not trying to shill for the company, but their products are top-notch. Of course there are other resources as well.

Two other ways to learn are lessons (assuming you have access to someone teaching them), and the looking over the shoulder of a local builder or repair tech.

Good luck with your search, and don't let the passion diminish. I wish I'd started at 27!

P.S. If you haven't been introduced to Frank Ford yet, you're missing out on one of the best tool improvisors for guitars in the business. Frank has a main site at FRETS.com, as well as several others, one a builders' forum and the others for case histories of his restorations showing his tools in action:

His extensive Index is here: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html
Old 09-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Ive heard both those names recently. Thanks! I'll check them out. Gives me a jumping off point at least.
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post
Anyone here actually own this? What are your impressions?
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Last edited by DrBromiAndufEwd; 09-08-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Default Welcome to the wonderful addiction

As my friend John Kitchen so aptly stated, "it's like buying a bassboat to save money on fish", but what a lovely bass boat it is.

Yeah, it's a crazy obsession - and expensive. Yeah, I know "it doesn't have to be". But then, part of the obsession is wanting to do it better, and specialized tools are definitely part of that.

Building your own guitar is really a wonderful experience in so many ways. There's nothing like those first notes out of your own guitar. And definitely like potato chips. I challenge you to build only one.

Go for it!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Gitnoob is a dedicated amateur builder as well, he posts here. Sure to pop his head in, or maybe not.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...Uke-in-10-Days
As an amateur, it was a bit over the 10.... but a good result nonetheless. And I would venture to guess, if the luthier that fixes my stuff is any indication, that this is the norm for professionals as well!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Gitnoob is a dedicated amateur builder as well, he posts here. Sure to pop his head in, or maybe not.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...Uke-in-10-Days
As an amateur, it was a bit over the 10.... but a good result nonetheless. And I would venture to guess, if the luthier that fixes my stuff is any indication, that this is the norm for professionals as well!
Very cool Uke build!
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 09-09-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky Long View Post
As my friend John Kitchen so aptly stated, "it's like buying a bassboat to save money on fish", but what a lovely bass boat it is.

Yeah, it's a crazy obsession - and expensive. Yeah, I know "it doesn't have to be". But then, part of the obsession is wanting to do it better, and specialized tools are definitely part of that.

Building your own guitar is really a wonderful experience in so many ways. There's nothing like those first notes out of your own guitar. And definitely like potato chips. I challenge you to build only one.

Go for it!
Yeah the nice part is once the tools are purchased...they are purchased more or less forever. Maybe i can con my dad into building one with me...and make him buy all the tools.

He never shys away from a chance at some new tools.
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair