The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Default Leaving guitar parts unfinished for months at a time

I'm thinking of building a guitar, using Cumpiano's book. I'm going to Uni in a couple of weeks though, so does anyone know if parts of the guitar can be left unfinished between holidays? If so, is there any kind of procedure to follow?

Thanks a lot!
Freddie
Old 09-02-2011, 02:58 PM

Shouldn't be a problem. You might want to cover the top with a piece of cardboard or something just to keep it from getting dinged and dirty.

Edit: I should mention that if you expect humidity swings, then it might be a good idea to close up the box before you go. Humidity changes can mess with bent sides and braced tops, but closing up the box ensures that everything is supported as well as it's ever going to be.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers

Last edited by gitnoob; 09-02-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:19 PM

Put it in a plastic bag.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:31 AM

thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll leave building the body until I've got time to complete it then! Plastic bags and cardboard sound like a good (cheap) solution, cheers!

Freddie
Old 09-03-2011, 06:15 AM

It's not a good idea to leave surfaces which will be glued up for months at a time. The best glue joints are obtained with freshly machined wood.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:39 AM

Default For some processes, less important than others

I agree with the comment that, for some woods, (especially oily ones) it's important to glue parts together when the wood has been recently cut, sanded or planed. As long as it's clean, I don't know what effect there is on non-oily woods like spruce. Not much I'd guess.

I would not glue tone bars on a top or back, then leave the parts for awhile before "closing the box". Any humidity changes will turn your top into a potato chip and make it unusable. If you close the box, gluing the top and back onto the sides, you should be fine for an extended rest. (of course you want to control humidity as much as you can for any building - I've heard others shoot for target of 35% - 45% relative humidity.)

If you're just wondering about keeping disparate parts around (non-glued) while you're at university, you don't have a problem.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I keep a De-humidifier running at all times. My wood stays at 38-40% all of the time. I know folks who's shop is not controlled but some small room or closet that is level is used to store the parts when not being worked on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair