The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 AM

My intention was not start a "fight" of any sorts but merely point out a radically different and rather strong point of view by the Laurent. My apologies if it came across any different.

However, as I said - it looks like a great guitar in the making

(P.S. It's not snowing over here either .....)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:16 AM

I scanned this thread so I hope I did not miss them, but what are dimensions of this A3? Particularly the width of the lower bout and depth at the tail?

Cheers,
Craig
Old 02-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Craig, the lower bout is 14 1/4" wide, depth at the tail is 4 3/16". The pattern is very close to a Martin 14 fret 00.

Racman, I think you took my quote slightly out of context. As far as I know Ryan and Somogyi use a variation of the x-bracing popularised by Martin, as I and most steel string builders do.
What I meant in the quoted text Larry posted is that I do not think small placement variations in the bracing system make as much difference as most people think. That is particularly true of the tone bar(s) and finger braces. Some tonal differences can be achieved by moving and changing the splay of the x-braces, but those are relatively minor compared to the thickness of the plate, height of the braces, or the interaction between back and top. Finally the weight of the braces/bridgeplate in a finished top is about 10-15% of the weight of the top itself (for my guitars).
All IMHO, and quite frankly my methods and opinions are my own, and not meant to be taken as any kind of truth I'd like to put out there. They do work very well for me, but there's no guarantee they would work for anybody else.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
My intention was not start a "fight" of any sorts but merely point out a radically different and rather strong point of view by the Laurent. My apologies if it came across any different.

However, as I said - it looks like a great guitar in the making

(P.S. It's not snowing over here either .....)
Racman,
As Laurent has replied to your X brace question, I'll reply to your snow comment...

You have no idea what you're missing down there in Jo'burg, S.A...!..

BTW, I just finished 2 books by one of your country's best authors..Damon Galgut...great stuff..!!

Thanks,
LC

Last edited by lclyman; 02-05-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 PM

Thank you for the clarification Laurent, much appreciated. Agreed - I read it without my "context" lenses but it now makes more sense to me after your input.

LC - I have not read any of Damon's books yet and am about to leave on a long flight to Hong Kong in 3 hours time so will try and get one or two for the journey - thanks.

However, what does remain in context is my constant comment - It is going to be a fantastic and beautiful guitar!!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I love the guitar. As the father of 4 children I can clearly state with conviction - I hate Dora
Old 02-07-2011, 11:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

I don't know Dora or her sister, which may be a blessing, apparently, but I can comment on the bracing. Laurent could be quoting my attitude, it is not the placement so much as the proportion. There are many ways to skin this cat adequately, and if overdone any of them can fail to live.

The described finish schedule is much more complex than my own, I think. Since I am willing to take credit for launching Laurent into the varnish world, it is particularly interesting to see where he is going with it.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Let me pile on late-- Iclyman and Laurent: beautiful guitar in every respect.
I'm a big fan of Laurent's work, and this just further heightens my esteem for this fine builder. Very clean work...holy cow.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 02-13-2011, 06:24 AM

I am preparing to leave for another Bay area adventure. On this sojourn I will have the distinct pleasure of visiting with and then playing a show with Bruce Sexauer at Eric Schoenberg's shop in beautiful Tiburon CA... http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=205643...

I will also be visiting a number of other luthier luminaries including Howard Klepper, where I will get the chance to see a guitar of who's build is being wonderfully chronicled in another thread on this very forum...http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=203278...

(Author's note: As I was about to peruse the Schoenberg Guitars website (http://www.om28.com )I had the great thrill of seeing my name listed right there on the home page along side Bruce Sexauer's...that career highpoint is right up there with the following...many years ago I managed to finagle an artist endorsement with Taylor Guitars...this really had more to do with the savvy and connections of the music management folks I was involved with than any oversized recognition I had outside of the major metropolitan city I happened to live and work in at the time..but anyway...the thrill of that endorsement deal was that in the first year of my association, Taylor Guitars published and disseminated a list of all their artist endorsees and the luck of my surname's spelling placed me directly underneath Eric Clapton...I imagined music retailers and guitarists worldwide scanning the list, eyes quickly drawn to some of the musical luminaries of our generation, and while coming upon the name of the man known to millions as "EC" perhaps noticing my name and thinking..who the heck is that..!!"

So, in honor of my trip I am posting the latest pictures from Laurent of the current state of my A3/00.

Laurent informs me that he "foresees 3 more coats, then at least 2 weeks of curing"..

So while I'm making hay on the west coast, my Brondel A3/00, with the able assistance once again of "Nora the Restorer" is making hay on the east coast...

Lookin' mighty good...don't you agree...!!

Obviously...more to come....!!

LC

Last edited by lclyman; 02-13-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:46 AM

Beautiful instrument indeed. I find Laurent's work very inspiring.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Larry flies out to California today, I believe. I am really looking forward to our Schoenberg shop concert. Looks like it'll sell out, so if anyone is thinking of going, better act. Seats 38 period.

I am planning to deliver my latest guitar (BRW/German mini-dread with high bling factor) during the concert. That means the varnish will have cured for 3 days before I buff it out. I notice this is in sharp contrast to what Laurent is doing with Larry's A3. Different varnish, different humidity conditions. It is raining today for the first time in 3 weeks or so, and the weather has been in the 70's! Gotta love it.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:06 AM

Steve and ASP, thank you for the kind words.
Bruce, we talked about varnish many times, and it is true my method differs a bit from yours. I am uncomfortable waiting less than 48h between coats with the Epifanes varnish, it is the nature of the beast.
I also porefill after the 3rd or 4th varnish coat, by wet sanding with varnish, thus filling the pores with varnish slurry. I like the way it looks, and it takes no longer to cure and shrink than any oil based filler. I don't want to go back to the wood at this point, and it works nicely.
I doubt weather has anything to do with all this as my shop is tightly controlled in this respect, as it should. In any case, I am in no hurry, nor is Larry. Right Larry?
I am finishing another guitar with P&L #38, an alkyd based oil varnish, and I can spray 2 coats/day with no issue. However it is a different look.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Larry flies out to California today, I believe. I am really looking forward to our Schoenberg shop concert. Looks like it'll sell out, so if anyone is thinking of going, better act. Seats 38 period.

I am planning to deliver my latest guitar (BRW/German mini-dread with high bling factor) during the concert....It is raining today for the first time in 3 weeks or so, and the weather has been in the 70's! Gotta love it.
I'm looking forward to this show..it's going to be great fun..so come one come all...I can't wait to see and play the high bling mini dread...I'm wondering if the plethora of Sexauer guitars in one place might not warrant a Pinkerton guard or 2..

And I want to personally thank the weather gods for welcoming me with this lovely misty rainfall...but I'm still happy (and wet..) as a clam..cuz it's 60 degrees and it's not snowing...a hands down net positive for me..!!

LC

Last edited by lclyman; 02-14-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Brondel View Post
I doubt weather has anything to do with all this as my shop is tightly controlled in this respect, as it should. In any case, I am in no hurry, nor is Larry. Right Larry?
Not really but..you know..I'm getting older here..!

Larry
Old 02-16-2011, 02:07 PM

Larry, I hope you and Bruce are going to record your concert so those of us on the East coast can hear it at some point, too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop