The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-09-2010, 06:45 PM

Default Hi, I'm new and let me introduce myself with this National.

I'm a new member as I just found out this forum exists. My name is Daniel Weldon and I'm a professional guitarist who still happens to love the instrument. I'm alway looking for new sounds, but one thing that I consistantly love is, National resonator guitars. So here is a custom built National Triolian that I just had built. What makes it custom is the more detailed neck than other Triolians. This one has a flamed maple neck, rolled binding, diamond inlays, and ebony fingerboard. It also has a factory Highlander pickup, and on the way is a Flatbucker magnetic pickup from Germany that I'll use for my electric guitar amp send. It's a great sounding guitar no doubt, and National sprinkled the mojo dust on this one!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF Daniel!! Very sweet National I love the inlays!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 01-09-2010, 07:23 PM

Welcome, another National fan here. Estralita Deee-luxe.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 PM

Absolute beauty!!!! Welcome to the forum.
2101 Voyage Air VAD-06 Travel Dread
Danelectro '64
Kala ASAC-T Solid Acacia Ukulele
'81 Peavey T-40 bass

... and my baby - Bruce Johnson hand made AUB-2 Ampeg Scroll fretless bass - #30
Old 01-09-2010, 10:08 PM

Yes - welcome to the forum. That National is a beautiful looking instrument.... how's the sound on it?

All the best ~

Peace,
Bill
Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 AM

Thank you guys. The acoustic sound on this is vintage Triolian and this is coming from somebody that had a 1931 Triolian. It has a very quick attack which I need for the type of music I play. I also have a Tricone, and Western D, but the Triolian is in your face with a shorter sustain, and gives up a little of the complexity of tone of the tricone and spider bridge models to get that attack. It is basically the gutbucket model and the perfect sound for live blues. The sustain of those other models really doesn't work for the rhythm feel that I'm looking for. But this new thinner Triolian body with the Hot Rod cone gets exactly what I want! This is not the reso to get when you want pretty

As for the electric sound...The Highlander sounds a hair compressed, but very nice through the PA. I have Highlanders in all of my resonators, so I'm very used to them. And although I love them for what they do, I don't like the Highlanders through electric guitar amps, as they are more of a HI-FI sounding pickup. I ordered a Tom Gassel Flatbucker pickup to get a dirty tone from my electric guitars amps, but I haven't used one yet, so I'll let you guys know what I think when I try it out. The Flatbucker is basically a recreation of the old Barcus Berry reso pickup that Chris Whitley used to tape to his guitar. My style is very similiar to the way he played, so I'm hoping it will work out for me. I will run both pickups all the time.

I've used this National exclusively for my last 4 gigs, and with every gig, I'm getting more and more used to it's feel. This is the first new National that actually sounds and, more importantly, feels like a vintage model. As a matter of fact this one walks on my old '31 Triolian. The intonation is dead on and I'm using a regular set of LIGHT Martin SPs, how National does this is beyond me.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 01-11-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 PM

I dig the magnetic PU's. I put one on any of my acoustics.

Let us know about the Flatbucker. I'm curious about it.
Particularly the height.
(I have National Lace on my two resos, but they are not available anymore, and I plan another reso soon. 12 strings tricone...)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 07-18-2010, 12:39 PM

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I just got into using the Flatbucker, and I think it's a great pickup. I almost wrote it off after trying it with bronze wound strings because there was a big inbalance in volume. The B and E strings were way too loud. But recently I switched to electric guitar strings (.011 -.052), and now, the pickup sounds GREAT. If you're looking for the dirty Chris Whitley type reso sound, this is it. I still use the internal Highlander for cleaner reso sounds, but for the dirty stuff I couldn't imagine anything better than the Flatbucker. I'm glad I have them both in this guitar.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 07-19-2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2011, 09:41 AM

Hi there,
Do the nickel strings have any negative effect on the unplugged tone?
Dreaming of a reso myself, and pretty much have the same requirements as yourself.
I always put a mag on my acoustics as well as a more hi-fi source too, love that sound. Your National is my dream guitar lol!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 04-01-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
Hi there,
Do the nickel strings have any negative effect on the unplugged tone?
No, it's the cone mainly that affects the sound/tone. I use nickel on mine also, as well as mags on both.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:10 AM

That's a beautiful guitar! Thanks for sharing the pics.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop