The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Default Yamaha MG06X mixer ?

I put this little mixer on my Christmas wish list (which means I'll be getting it). Anyone have experience with this mixer? pro's con's?

After the first of the year I'll be hosting an open mic in a small Tap Room. To begin with, I plan on using my Genz Benz Shenandoah 85 amp. It only has two inputs, I need a few more. This mixer will give me two mic and two instrument inputs and I'll have one input still open on the amp for either an instrument or mic.

I chose this mixer because I wanted a small compact mixer, I already own an A&H Zed 10fx and 60-14fx, both are larger than what I want to use. The reviews on their (A&H) smaller mixers are not good and planted a seed of doubt.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Musical minimalist

I had one for a while and thought it was a pretty nice little unit - only thing I wish they had added was a midrange control (pretty much a must with acoustic guitar tone shaping!) You may have that on your Benz though, so you'll be fine...
You don't find too many compact mixers like that with XLR outs.....nice feature.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha MG06X mixer

Excellent choice! I really like Yamaha PA gear and mixers. The on-board reverb is really nice, and a touch added to the vocal channels really helps in most venues IMO.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 12-18-2017, 01:39 AM

You should check out the Soundcraft Notepad 8fx. It's tiny, has 3-band eq on 2 channels, reverb, delay and chorus and sounds great! I have the Yamaha MG10XU and I think the Soundcraft has better mic pres. That 3rd band of eq will also come in handy!
Old 12-18-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
You should check out the Soundcraft Notepad 8fx. It's tiny, has 3-band eq on 2 channels, reverb, delay and chorus and sounds great! I have the Yamaha MG10XU and I think the Soundcraft has better mic pres. That 3rd band of eq will also come in handy!
Thanks for the suggestion. It must be a new product, I couldn't find very many reviews. I like the features and I may just have Santa get the Soundcraft instead.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 12-18-2017, 06:53 PM

I've had one mounted on my pedalboard for about a year. Works great.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I've had one mounted on my pedalboard for about a year. Works great.
Same here never had a problem
Old 12-19-2017, 08:47 AM

On the Soundcraft Notepad 8fx, can you plug a guitar with passive pickup directly into the hi Z input? If so, does it sound good, or do you need to go through a preamp?
Epiphone Dot
Old 12-19-2017, 12:13 PM

Channel 1 has a Hi-Z button which should be for passive pickups. As far as ‘does it sound good?’, I don’t know as my guitars all have active pickups. I would use a cord as short as possible though for a passive pickup.

Irish: yes, it’s a new product; SoundCraft just came out with it. I really like it!
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 AM

I'm also looking at buying this mixer - or one like it.
I currently play guitar and my partner sings through mic into roland ac33. We have a friend who also sings and I want to add another mic to our mix. If I purchase this my guitar can still go straight to the amp. How do I connect the mixer to the amp?
2nd channel on amp has mic and 1/4 inch guitar input, there are RCA connectors on the back and 1/8 inch aux on the back. The mixer has L+R xlr outputs and L+R 1/4 inch outputs.
Any help appreciated.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:16 AM

If you go out from XLR into amp's XLR it will be a very hot signal into the amp. I'd use the mixer's 1/4" outs to the amp's rca connectors with a cable like https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgLAH_D_BwE
I think the 1/4" outs are actually balanced, but the unbalanced cables have worked fine for me for 6 years with my MG8Cx.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:58 PM

I would just use either the xlr or 1/4” main outs directly into the second channel on the AC33.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:31 PM

I ended up with the Soundcraft Notepad 8fx. It's ok, I would not recommend it nor would I dis-sway anyone from it. For me it's Meh, nothing there to make it rise above the rest that's within it's price point. I wanted it for hosting open mics, I'll be using one of my Zeds, I owe it to those that venture out off their couch and out of their living rooms to give them as good of a sound that I can give them with the gear I have. Open mic isn't easy for the hobbyist and a Meh sound system makes it a distraction that they don't need.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 10-12-2018, 02:09 AM

Thread resurrection!
I never got round to buying a mixer but am thinking about it again.
All I really want is to plug 2 microphones (xlr) into it to send to my amp - roland AC33 so I can play with 2 singers. The Yamaha MGO6X would do, but after looking, the xlr inputs say 1/L and 2/R. Also the xlr outs say L or R. I can send one xlr to the amp and would prefer this as then the guitar - directly plugged into the amp - and mics would have the same reverb. If I plug 2 mics into the mixer and only the left xlr out to the amp would I only have the left mic going to the amp? The mixer does not have any pan knobs to direct both inputs to one channel.
If I use the MGO6 with 2 mics (L&R) would L only go to L output and R to R output? Or would both L&R inputs go to the L output?
The MGO10x has pan so I think this would work but is really more than I need.
Any other recommendations are welcome but Yamaha seems to get the best reviews in this price range (low).
Cheers all!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:04 AM

Spend the extra $30-50 and get the MG10xu. Pictures make it look much bigger than it is. I’ve never measured it but I doubt it’s a square foot. The effects, eq and other features make it so much more versatile than the MG6 IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification