The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-25-2014, 05:03 PM

Default Strings wrapping around trapeze?

Hey,

I was just browsing around through Reverb ads for various archtops and I came across one of an old Martin archtop. Aside from the fact that I think the seller's wrong about the model, they have it strung . . . interestingly. The ball end of the strings are on the bridge side of the trapeze, with the strings coming out towards the endpin and wrapping around the top, passing over the bridge and going up to the pegs.

Do people string trapezes that way? I mean, the obvious answer is that someone does, but does that serve any purpose? It looks like maybe someone who is used to wraparound electric bridges, but who knows...

Stuart

Collings DS2HMapA
Collings CL Dlx
Etc.
Bill Collings '78 Brazilian
Old 12-26-2014, 02:52 PM

Without seeing any pictures, it sounds like a major error...
Old 12-26-2014, 03:10 PM

I've seen it done...not all trapeze tailpieces would this work on...i guess the general idea is to get less angle over the saddle...for whatever tone dragon you think that chases...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Default older archtop tailpieces....

In the 20's and early 30's many archtop trapeze tailpieces were designed with the the strings wrapping around the crossbar.

This one is typical of one often used by Gibson circa 1923-1933.

[/URL]

The earliest archtops made by Martin and sometimes Epiphone and Regal also used a variation of the same sort of tailpiece.

z
Old 01-02-2015, 06:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturob View Post
Hey,

I was just browsing around through Reverb ads for various archtops and I came across one of an old Martin archtop. Aside from the fact that I think the seller's wrong about the model, they have it strung . . . interestingly. The ball end of the strings are on the bridge side of the trapeze, with the strings coming out towards the endpin and wrapping around the top, passing over the bridge and going up to the pegs.

Do people string trapezes that way? I mean, the obvious answer is that someone does, but does that serve any purpose? It looks like maybe someone who is used to wraparound electric bridges, but who knows...

Stuart
Hello Stuart,
As Zizala showed in the photo, it is absolutely done that way with that particular manufacturer's tailpiece.

In fact, there is no other way to string that particular model. I have one on an old Gibson L-5.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops