The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-27-2014, 08:49 AM

I've tried the Line 6 (Variax) guitars in the past, and...
it's a cool guitar with lots of different models of other guitars, but...

I think you're better off with the Tele.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:06 AM

ok but he wants a versatile guitar and a telle is far from versatile. play it till you fall in love with it. Ibanez is one of the most versatile brands out there. although I do like strats and tells they just do not do every thing I need them to do unless I replace the pickups and put a floyedrose on it.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:34 PM

Default Need help with guitar choice?!?

The thing is with the Line6-Variax thing is that it is designed to emulate other guitars. It doesn't really have a character of its own. If you're playing in a dance band where you need to sound specifically like any guitar sound the audience will be expecting then fine. It's the same with modelling amps - I've tried one or two and they sound very good but I can't get excited about them. I want the genuine analog sound of tubes and coiled-wire pickups working together to reproduce what I'm playing. If I want to sound like someone specific then I'll try to get close using choice of guitar and effects but at the end of the day still want to sound like me!

I bought a used classic-60s Tele a few weeks ago and I love it! It doesn't have the sonic range of the Baja Teles but is still great. I have a friend who has a Baja Tele and the guitar produces some great sounds from the 4-way and S-switches. Not quite Strat tones but not far off.

Personally I think of the two choices the Tele is the one to go for - it will give you versatility enough while still being "your" sound. And they look so cool too!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-29-2014, 04:39 PM

I vote for a Tele.

In 20 years, the Tele will still be around (hopefully) and the Line6 VariAx will be a curiosity - sort of like the keytar...
Old 09-29-2014, 06:48 PM

A tele is one of the must have electrics. Tele, Strat, LP.

I love a good tele, and to the person that said they aren't versatile, I wholeheartedly disagree.

Last edited by 44Runner; 09-30-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I have a gorgeous Tele for sale for $1100 in the classifieds. If you're thinking Tele, please take a look.

Self serving part over...I tried a Variax and found that I loved the idea of all the features, but rarely used them. Off it went. I like a Nashville Tele, but if I recall correctly, it is a Strat 5-way switch, so you don't get the bridge-neck combo that is classic Tele, unless you modify it (not expensive to do, though).

One of my most versatile guitars is a Fender Deluxe Power Strat. It came stock as an HSS, and has a Piezo. I lucked into a NOS model at a great price. I have since put in new pickups and added a mod to get bridge in single coil with the neck. This guitar sounds like a Strat most of the time, but does a good impression of a Les Paul, Tele and acoustic guitar. If you can find one at a good price, the bridge-neck mod is pretty inexpensive and you'd have a great instrument.

Finally, look at G&L. They are a great value as well.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars