The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-20-2014, 04:58 AM

Default Plectrums, action and how hard to strum/pluck?

As a reasonably experienced acoustic player (mainly chord bashing) new to electric, I'm feeling a bit confused in terms of the basics of how to play the darn thing!

I've always strummed with soft plectrums or the nail of my index finger, I feel clumsy using a rigid pick. But playing single notes on an electric, I figure a stiffer plectrum should be preferred? Does it matter? Or can I just go finger-style?

I'm finding that the action is so low (after having it set up by a luthier) that if I play fretted strings hard, they buzz. I'm pretty sure the buzz is coming from the string hitting the next fret up e.g. if I strum a standard open C chord, the A string appears to buzz on the 4th or 5th fret. Playing with a plectrum or trying in any way to 'thrash' the chord makes it more obvious, although in the amplified sound it's far less noticeable than the direct acoustic sound on the neck - so maybe it's not an issue. I know you often play electric more gently, but you DO sometimes thump the chords... don't you?

Cheers for any suggestions. I am interested in playing chords and some more "noodly" single-note stuff.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
As a reasonably experienced acoustic player (mainly chord bashing) new to electric, I'm feeling a bit confused in terms of the basics of how to play the darn thing!

I've always strummed with soft plectrums or the nail of my index finger, I feel clumsy using a rigid pick. But playing single notes on an electric, I figure a stiffer plectrum should be preferred? Does it matter? Or can I just go finger-style?

I'm finding that the action is so low (after having it set up by a luthier) that if I play fretted strings hard, they buzz. I'm pretty sure the buzz is coming from the string hitting the next fret up e.g. if I strum a standard open C chord, the A string appears to buzz on the 4th or 5th fret. Playing with a plectrum or trying in any way to 'thrash' the chord makes it more obvious, although in the amplified sound it's far less noticeable than the direct acoustic sound on the neck - so maybe it's not an issue. I know you often play electric more gently, but you DO sometimes thump the chords... don't you?

Cheers for any suggestions. I am interested in playing chords and some more "noodly" single-note stuff.

A couple of thoughts. You can fix the buzzing with a lighter touch, higher action, bigger strings, or some combination of those. My solution has been bigger strings as I seem to lack the touch required for skinny ones. At A440 pitch I use 010, 013, 017, then 028, 038, 048. I prefer Jazz III-type picks, and most will say thicker is better, but plenty of big names used medium picks (SRV) or even thinner (Paul Gilbert).

Also, don't judge buzz acoustically. Be sure to PLUG IN, as most of it will disappear. Don't chase a problem that isn't really there.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Default picks

you do not play the electric hard it is about finesse. pick to get the desired tone. pinch harmonic etc. keep your wrist stable using your forearm try to avoid using your fingers to pick hold them as tight as possible. and being a finger picker understand you still have three fingers to use . to be honest I only use picks to get a certain tone ,for speed runs, and pinch harmonics. turn your amp up to the point you get feed back and you will truly understand the nature of how to play this instrument it will teach you.

Last edited by EoE; 09-20-2014 at 08:57 AM. Reason: forgot somthing
Old 09-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Also, don't judge buzz acoustically. Be sure to PLUG IN, as most of it will disappear. Don't chase a problem that isn't really there.
+1. It's not an absolute but the vast majority of acoustic string buzz on an electric guitar, in my experience, is not heard when amplified.

Learning to play with a lighter touch may take a while, but it helps immeasurably. I remind myself that while they are both guitars, they are still different in many ways from one another, and different styles of attack is one of the differences.

One personal compromise for me is that I usually use fairly light picks on my acoustic (currently, Gibson mediums, which are lighter than others), and fairly heavy picks on my electric (currently, a heavy John Pearse Fast Turtle). That's a heavier pick for a softer attack on my electric and a lighter pick for a more aggressive attack on my acoustic.

I own a guitar.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:06 AM

For lots of stuff I totally agree just playing lighter makes sense. It just feels wrong to be playing something heavy and thrashy with a gentle touch. And from memory seeing rock bands play, they look to be trying quite hard.

e.g:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...rCNiiNPxA#t=42

So is there a time and a place, or even there are they hitting the strings way more gently than an acoustic player would? I actually have a very light style on acoustic, which is why I am surprised to be having this issue!
Old 09-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Watch players like BB King, Clapton, Santana, etc. They have a light touch and good dynamics, especially BB. He has wonderful control and touch.

I play a lot of acoustic too, and have made a couple of adjustments to my electric setup and technique. I run heavier strings than stock, up to 12s on my Eastman. I use a heavier pick as well for better feel. I don't worry about buzz much either, and heavier strings help minimize it.

There is a time to dig in too. Sometimes you want all the power the guitar can deliver to the amp. The tone can fatten up with a heavier touch, too. More of the body resonance shows up with a harder attack. I tend to play my Eastman that way for that reason. The Tele, however, will bite back if you do that. She wants a light touch.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 09-20-2014, 10:30 AM

Default hardness

they just look like they are hitting hard like doing a windmill sometimes I would not even hit the strings with the pick was doing a hammer on just looked like I was hitting the strings. do not confuse theatrics and tricks with actually playing we learned to do a lot of tricks over the years with that instrument. on a six string lead guitar you almost never get abusive you get just right. you have a volume knob for that so it is all about tone. and picking hard usually sounds bad on a six and uneven.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:21 AM

Play it more softly, use a thick pick. Rely more on the amplification to bring out the nuances in your playing. I use 9 gauge strings and I don't hit them even half as hard as I hit my acoustics. Eric Johnson uses 10 gauge GHS strings and he sounds fantastic. But its all about the hard pick as well and the control that gives you of the tone. Softer picks bend a bit when you hit the string, absorbing energy. Harder picks move the string easier so you can paradoxically, be more delicate with your phrasing.

The only time I use a medium pick on electrics is on the Tele when I am strumming an essentially acoustic part. That gives a richer chime and brings out the mids nicely. I almost never do this however.

Interesting that heavy metal players often turn the gain way up and use feather light picks to use the pick "bounce" to get that percussive style of play.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:56 AM

Default strings

I am going to chime in on strings... I use 8ts on my lead guitars ( which is what I call my electric six string as I have six string bass and 7ves of each) but the heaver the richer the tone ,lighter the better they bend and scream so that is how you select your strings . light is better for speed and hamerons also.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Play it more softly, use a thick pick. Rely more on the amplification to bring out the nuances in your playing. I use 9 gauge strings and I don't hit them even half as hard as I hit my acoustics. Eric Johnson uses 10 gauge GHS strings and he sounds fantastic. But its all about the hard pick as well and the control that gives you of the tone. Softer picks bend a bit when you hit the string, absorbing energy. Harder picks move the string easier so you can paradoxically, be more delicate with your phrasing.
Interesting, I'd have thought a thicker pick would lead to plucking the strings much harder. That's why I use a soft/thin one on acoustic, because if I 'snag' a string it is far less jarring. Also, I feel far less 'connected' to the guitar with a thick pick, sort of like how you lose the feel of the road in a car with super-light power steering.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 AM

I use a medium pick on acoustic guitars.

On my electrics I use a heavy pick and choke up so that only a very small part of the tip is exposed. I usually let the amp do the work...
Old 09-22-2014, 10:35 AM

Default Interesting, I'd have thought a thicker pick would lead to plucking the strings much

actually there is more connection with the hard pick. the soft pick gives and flexes the hard pick doesn't every movement you make is more quickly applied to the string that is why speed players use hard picks. more control. with a soft pick it bends then has to flex back for the next strike and you do not know exactly where it is at in that bend and flex. like the cat above said just a little sticking out is how most of us speed players do it if not all of us.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 AM

I guess I just need to get practiced with a heavy pick then! Thanks.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:16 AM

check this out I cant be there to teach you but this is a great lesson that I sometimes have my students look at just so I can focus on theory then I fine tune their picking... http://bit.ly/michaelangelobatiolesson ok sorry this did not take me where I thought it would just go to u tube and look up Michael Angelo Batio free lessons alternate picking.

Last edited by EoE; 09-22-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoE View Post
actually there is more connection with the hard pick. the soft pick gives and flexes the hard pick doesn't every movement you make is more quickly applied to the string that is why speed players use hard picks. more control. with a soft pick it bends then has to flex back for the next strike and you do not know exactly where it is at in that bend and flex. like the cat above said just a little sticking out is how most of us speed players do it if not all of us.
This is true...give a firm pick a try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars