The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 PM

Default 12 string buzzing...

Hi everyone,

So I took my 12 string in to get the action/intonation fixed about 9 months ago and it worked great, I've gone through 2 sets of strings since then and now it buzzes like crazy on the A and B strings when played open, if you fret a note it's fine.

Any suggestions on how to fix this myself? Or am I looking at just getting the nut replaced?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

1. what is the humidity you store your guitar in?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudama View Post
Any suggestions on how to fix this myself? Or am I looking at just getting the nut replaced? Thanks!
Sounds to me like the nut is a little low. You might try sprinkling some baking soda in the slot and then a few drops of super glue on top of it. The super glue should wick in. You don't need a lot, just enough to cover the bottom of the slot, you can always do another application. If it seems too high, take some fine emery cloth, wrap it around a string of the right diameter and run it back and forth in the slot to get it down a bit. IMO, fooling around with the nut is a good way to start learning how to maintain your guitar at it's playing best.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
1. what is the humidity you store your guitar in?
- This is where it gets tricky. I got it fixed in Sacramento, CA but then took it with me to school in San Francisco, then over summer it was back in Sac, now it's back in SF. I guess I'll see if the humidity fixes it.

Quote:
Sounds to me like the nut is a little low. You might try sprinkling some baking soda in the slot and then a few drops of super glue on top of it. The super glue should wick in. You don't need a lot, just enough to cover the bottom of the slot, you can always do another application. If it seems too high, take some fine emery cloth, wrap it around a string of the right diameter and run it back and forth in the slot to get it down a bit. IMO, fooling around with the nut is a good way to start learning how to maintain your guitar at it's playing best.
Brad
- Thanks for the advice, I'll try the humidity fix first, then I'll give the baking soda and super glue a shot.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 PM

If you choose to use super glue/baking soda, please use some masking tape to protect the headstock. If super glue gets on a finish, it will bond to it "right now" and could turn what is a simple job into a much more complicated proposition.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair