The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Default Resonator Conversion Feedback?

I wasn't really sure where to post this.. it sort of overlaps a few sections. But, here it is! haha

A few months ago I started to really get into the bottleneck blues and wanting to learn how to play. I really wanted to get a Resonator guitar, but seeing as how I dont have much money and they are expensive (even used ones are pretty pricey around where I live) and eventually decided to use an old (and i mean old. I think its from the mid 40's) parlor guitar I had that was falling apart in the corner of my basement to convert to a resonator.

I know its a pretty unorthodox thing to do, but being an engineering student I like challenges and this one seemed right up my alley. My goals were to make a working resonator for as cheap as possible, and I ended up only spending $18 on it. It isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but I built it and that makes me happy. haha I barely did anything that could be considered 'building a guitar' and had a great time so I can see why luthiers love what they do. This was the first thing I have ever done that is anywhere close to modifying or tailoring a guitar and I believe it turned out fairly well.

I made a blog that you should all check out and give some feedback on it! I know there are some things like the materials I used for the bridge and all, but again, I was trying to spend as little as possible and these were materials I already had. A big thank you to forum member Corky Long who helped me out by sending me a piece of ebony for a different guitar, which if I have enough left will become the new nut for the resonator next time I change strings.

Let me know what you think! Any and all feedback will be appreciated. Click here to read my blog entries!

I will be posting videos within the next few weeks of how it sounds so you all can hear it. It just depends on when I can get the time off from my classes. hah
early 1930's A-Type mandolin (restored)

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720

Last edited by prsplayer12; 08-24-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM

OK - that is flat out awesome. Nicely done!
'10 Bedell OH-18-G Parlor
Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanrrice View Post
OK - that is flat out awesome. Nicely done!
haha thanks! I'm pretty proud of it. If I were to do it again there are things I would change but it was a lot of fun and turned out pretty well!

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 AM

why not fill up the soundhole with a heavy lutehole, it would look awesome. well done by the way i love it!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyCloud View Post
why not fill up the soundhole with a heavy lutehole, it would look awesome. well done by the way i love it!
Thats actually a good idea. haha I hadn't thought about that. The only problem may be that its a 3.5" hole not a 4" so I dont know if they sell those. lol I will look into it though. and Thanks!

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 08-25-2011, 09:01 AM

Outstanding job! I salute you, sir
Old 08-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Thank you Roger! I still have a few things to work on before I will consider it "complete" though.

Sold:
'07 PRS SE Singlecut
'14 Eastman AC720
Old 08-29-2011, 03:46 AM

Necessity and all that business aside, this stands on its own. Just great. Hats off.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments