The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Default Cornerstone Zion Review (Quilted Sapele/Sinker Redwood)

It’s been a few weeks now since the Cornerstone Zion arrived and I thought it would be the appropriate time to write a review on not only the guitar but the journey as well. I also thought it would be more appropriate to start a separate thread as the build thread is quite lengthy. I must apologise up front for not necessarily using too many of the generally accepted terms to describe my feelings or the guitar but I really want to convey what my unedited or processed views are.

1. Considerations:
There are many threads on various forums that suggest that the very idea of purchasing a guitar without first playing it borders on mild insanity, let alone commissioning a Luthier to build a guitar without meeting or playing any examples of his work. Travelling from South Africa to do this would cost more than the price of the build and after extensive communication with a number of the Luther’s on my shortlist I felt that I was operating in the realm of acceptable risk. I attempted to temper my expectations throughout the process by telling myself and others that I would be more than happy if the guitar sounded “different” to my Morgan OM (EIR/Sitka) and other benchmark guitars that I had played, rather than better! Secretly though, I was hoping it would impress me more than any other ….

2. The Brief:
I originally wanted an SJ type that was versatile and suitable for a variety of applications. I wanted a well-rounded yet deep bass, with sweet trebles without what I call the “digital glare” of some guitars I had played and owned. I also felt that the better “strumming” guitars that I had played had achieved this at the expense of string definition and sounded somewhat “muddy”. I knew that sacrifices had to be made in an effort to have a versatile guitar, but I somehow knew that this could still be achieved with a wonderfully balanced and wonderful sounding instrument.

In my brief to Peter Marreiros I concluded with the following: “I am looking for a guitar that is inspiring to the eye and the ear. While I enjoy a little abalone and would like a custom but smallish inlay, I also don’t particularly like a too dark looking instrument. I am inspired by the understated yet obvious craftsmanship and careful blend of woods and natural effects on a guitar. An impressive piece of wood is far better than drippings of abalone to my eyes. I love the idea of the intimate attraction of a good guitar that reveals more of itself the closer one looks at it. I love the idea of “discovering” the particular instrument both visually and aurally. I guess all of the above defines my idea of a guitar with “soul”.

So aesthetically as well as tonally I wanted a balanced instrument

3. The Journey:
Peter was fantastic to work with and nothing was ever too much trouble to explain or discuss again, even if it was the third time we were doing so. He patiently guided me in the journey and never imposed any of his ideas or views. I was constantly apologising for the amount of e-mail correspondence but never had even the slightest impression that this was anything other than the norm when one could not have lengthy telephonic or in-person conversations with a client. Anyway what would have been a great guitar took a huge leap forward when I decided to ask Peter what he would build if he had the same brief as I did and with all the information gathered from all our discussions etc. I had decided to be open minded about whatever his answer would be and a new option presented itself as I discovered Sinker Redwood and I was sent an image of spectacular Moonscape Quilted Sapele. I am just so glad I asked the question!!! Peter also gently suggested that I consider the Zion with bracing that would be tuned to my requirements. I agreed!

Well, as in everything the journey is half the experience and I will miss the discussions and interaction, not to mention the occasional images and feedback. The built was scheduled to start in August and on 2nd August I received an e-mail announcing the start of the build, with an image if I recall correctly. I asked for a completion date of March and this was achieved so credit to Peter for having impeccable timing.

4. Aesthetic and Craftsmanship:
I collected the guitar from the airport one evening and waiting approximately 3-4 hours before opening the case. My wife and son (27) were present when the case was opened and the most common word uttered was ….WOW!!!

Although the images posted show a beautiful instrument, nothing prepared me for the spectacular beauty of the Zion in “the flesh” so to speak. Each time the guitar is turned or viewed in a different light another wonderful aspect of the woods, finish and build quality is revealed. The Moonscape Sapele changes from quilt effect to an eerie matrix of wooden veins to a soft furry silky effect in different light. At times one has to remind oneself that the surface is actually flat and not 3D. The Sinker Redwood also has so many nuances and layers of visual beauty that is also revealed.

The unique sound port that Peter so patiently designed and crafted is really stunning and many have commented on this. It has also provided a quite innocuous opportunity for me to share the story of the design and its meaning.

The craftsmanship is absolutely remarkable and top notch. I have shown the guitar to a number of people: family, guitar techs, guitar enthusiasts, accomplished musicians etc. and all are in absolute awe of the workmanship, beauty and tone of the Zion. A few weeks later and I still stop playing every now and again and just look at a different aspect of the workmanship or more aptly craftsmanship.

The aesthetic balance of all the parts of the guitar is just wonderful and I can honestly say that there is not one thing that I would change.

5. Playability:
The Zion has a neck profile that is extremely comfortable and easy to play. My impression is that it is not as “chunky” as the Gibson’s that I once owned and is probably one of the nicest necks that I have played on an acoustic or in fact any guitar; slim yet comfortable but not too slim. The Zion nut width is a little wider than 1-3/4” which suits me just fine. The Zion was shipped with Light gauge strings (12’s) which I also prefer but actually feels just so much easier and lighter to play than the Morgan OM or Takamine I owned (both had Pro set-ups) which also had 12’s.

6. Tone:

Despite all the visual beauty and craftsmanship of the Zion, I am ecstatic to report that the real star of the show is the tone of the Zion. Again, Peter ticked all the boxes in that department and it is exactly what I wanted and more!

The bass is full and yet defined while the midrange is creamy and balanced without that nasal quality that I have noted on some Mahogany/Sapele guitars. The trebles are sweet and well-rounded yet ring like a bell without any piercing shattered glass type effect. All notes are just so warm and sweet with great sustain, string separation and beautiful overtones. The Zion is just so responsive and I have discovered so many tonal aspects and nuances every time I play it. It responds with equal aplomb to fingerpicking, flatpicking, strumming etc.

While I am by no means an accomplished guitarist by any stretch of the imagination, I do manage to serve the song in whatever form it presents itself in a way that I believe enhances the melody. To achieve this end I use a variety of techniques (albeit at a very basic level) including plectrums (I use 3-4 different types and thicknesses), finger style (nails and flesh), varied positions of right hand to achieve different tonal properties, strumming, muted and normal lead work, and even a boutique True Bypass TS808 type pedal with a dark tone and very low overdrive dialled in on some songs to achieve an almost jazzy/blues “break-up” type of tone. All of this is normal for a standard Sunday set and the Zion proved to be absolutely fantastic no matter what technique, attack or tone I required. Versatile…. You bet!!!

Probably one of the best compliments the Zion received was when my son was playing late one evening on an elevated landing/open plan lounge. My wife and I were sitting some distance away in quite conversation while listening to his playing when he suddenly stopped and exclaimed: “This guitar is absolutely inspirational!! I‘m playing things that I’ve never played and I don’t know where they come from!!” What more could one ask from a guitar – that just says it all in my opinion.

This is the first guitar that I have owned with a sound port and it definitely enhances the experience on the Zion. I have great fun watching the player’s expression when they hear the difference as I demonstrate the effectiveness of it.

I hope to be able to record a few rudimentary sound clips soon but am reluctant to do so as I fear my playing will detract from the actual capabilities of the Zion. Nevertheless I will try and do so.

7. Conclusion:
I cannot for the life of me think of anything more I could have asked for from Peter. The Zion just touches me on so many levels and has achieved everything that it was envisaged to be ….and more!

The entire experience has been just wonderful! This guitar was always meant to be passed down in years to come to my son and future generations - what a treat they will have as they remember both me and the extremely talented and gifted Luthier from Cornerstone Guitars: Peter Marreiros!

Last edited by racman; 01-22-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Last edited by racman; 04-17-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Roy. The guitar Peter built is stunning and I agree with your assessment of him and his craftsmanship. I'm a fan too. Hope you enjoy it for years to come!

Kindly,
Danny
Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 PM

It’s about time on the review Roy...ok, ok, compared to me that was quick ! I hope you enjoy that guitar for a long time to come!

If I ever make it out to JoBurg, I hope to get my hands on that beautiful guitar.

Looking forward to the sound clips.

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200

Last edited by old6strng; 04-17-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2011, 07:39 PM

I see many beautiful guitars here... but I have to say - that is truly a beautiful guitar!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 AM

Congratulations! I am thrilled for you and I can only imagine you will continue to enjoy this instrument.
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Oh, niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Very nice!

Congrats to the owner and the luthier.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Thank you Roy for taking the time to write such a nice survey. I feel humbled by your kind words and it really means a lot to me that I was able to deliver and meet your expectations. It was a real treat to build this guitar for you!
Blessings,
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 PM

Roy & Peter,

Congratulations to both of you for the Journey that has ended with such a beautiful Guitar!!!

Peter it's a treat to have such a talented craftsmen as you as a fellow AGFer.

Beautiful work, top drawer stuff!!

Best,

Keyshore
Old 04-18-2011, 10:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Roy & Peter,
WOW!! I like it, nicely done Congrats.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Roy,

Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

I had the chance to play a wonderful Zion while it was on a road trip. I ended up buying a SJ of Peter's, and yesterday when I played it at church, I had many people compliment the sound of the guitar, as well as its visual beauty.

I was actually going to post about the wonderful experience I had playing my cornerstone at church, when I read your post.

Thanks again for sharing the build and your review.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop