The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVigne View Post

Do you feel the exercise made any improvements in your playing at faster tempos? Or, just frustrated you at the slowest speed?

Well, I'm going to give it some time. Ask me again after 100 days I like to apply what I learned from my martial arts training - I would do an exercise daily, with no exceptions, for 100 days, while withholding any judgement, in order to internalize the lesson.

So far, I can say that playing at 40bpm really forces me to concentrate a lot harder on the timing and phrasing of playing a song. Speeding through it at 100-120 bpm, it's easy to be on autopilot once you've learned the song, but playing at 40bpm, if my attention isn't total, I find that I lose my place in the song, even if I can play it easily at 120bpm.

The two songs that I applied this to, once I got back up to tempo (after practising for a couple of hours), I thought that I had finer control of the nuances of phrasing, so it's looking positive.

More than anything else, at this point I realized that it exposed some major gaps in my command of playing said tunes.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 AM

"More than anything else, at this point I realized that it exposed some major gaps in my command of playing said tunes."

Same here. I had an accident awhile back (fractured wrist, shattered elbow and torn triceps) which caused me to temporarily stop playing. When I went back to earlier songs I'd played and thought I had down I found that at 40 bpm, I was missing certain notes and exchanging them for others. Nothing major and I don't get hyper-critical about making a song sound better to my own ear as long as I'm consistent with the intent of the music. But replacing my notes with the song's written notes made exercises in particular stand out as my mistake.

Let us know what you think after 100 days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write