The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-20-2015, 08:12 PM

Default Taylor ES2 experience

Just wondering if any other Taylor folks have the same issues I am having with the ES2? I've played (and sold) two Taylors, a 2015 514 and a new re-voiced 2015 814 because of the ES2. The sound is very "muddy" and doesn't sound natural at all. It takes a lot of adjusting to get EQ that sounds almost satisfactory. I tried adjusting the piezo pick ups and clicking the switch inside the guitar on the electronic box. No luck with either method. (Those methods did help the sensitivity and noise I was getting from the strings though).

Called Taylor and they acted as if I was the first Taylor user to ever report such issues. I'm new at this so I don't know the tech info on piezo pickups. But surely a plug and play system isn't too much to ask on such expensive guitars.

Currently on the search for Taylors without electronics or those with the ES1 v. 3.

I've read threads here where people are raving about the new Taylors and their electronics. I am just not a fan. Anyone else out there?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:45 PM

The ES2 can sound fantastic but it seems to be hit or miss on each guitar. I have tested the ES2 on at least 10-15 new 800 series Taylor guitars and I can say that the plugged in sound of three blew me away, a few more were okay and the rest sounded terrible.

I have wanted a new 814, 816 or 810 for about a year but I don't want one with the ES2 system. You can order one without but that's a gamble since you can't test it first. I understand why Taylor adds electronics and why dealers order guitars with electronics but it's frustrating for those who want a purely acoustic guitar.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 PM

My 616ce and K26ce both have the ES1. My 916ce has the ES2. I find neither "muddy" although that's a subjective term I've always have had a little difficulty understanding. The main difference between my ES1s and my ES2 is that the ES2 has much more volume. I have to turn it down more. If pressed to do so, I, if anything, would say that the ES2 keeps my 916 sounding a little more natural, similar to unplugged, just with more volume. Is your sound difficulty perhaps a perceptual thing? I ask that with no sarcasm intended, just that perception can sometimes cloud what one hears.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 PM

No experience with ES2, but I hated ES1 for multiple reasons. Metallic sound, low output (even using a balanced TRS cable), and needed repairs.

There's been a bunch of threads on ES. Some people like it, and it works for them. I admit, I did like the simplistic controls, but for me, I could not get rid of my ES1 equipped guitar fast enough.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 04-20-2015, 08:54 PM

I have two new ES2 guitars. Both sound very good to me. But, I am using the GS body shape. Could it be a string issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 PM

Like Petty above, I have tried as many of the ES2 equipped guitars I could get my hands on. I wanted to like the ES 1. I thought the ES1 v.3 was an improvement. The ES2 to my ears have the makings of a very natural mic like acoustic sound. I am finding it to be very inconsistent from guitar to guitar. Again, like described above some are pretty amazing needing very little adjustment while others needed to be tweaked madly.

Most of the time I use one of my various preamps and can get most of them sounding good to great. Some I even had to tweak the hex key.

When and if I do finally pull the trigger on an ES2 equipped guitar, it will have to be one that I have had the opportunity to take it through it's paces. I'll be married to the guitar and the pickup.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 04-21-2015, 01:19 AM

I was able to try an ES-2 equipped new 600 series guitar last week at Musikmesse in Frankfurt, the first I've heard. The conditions were not ideal - I was playing it through a preamp that I wasn't familiar with and even though I was listening on headphones there was understandably a lot of noise in the vicinity that managed to leak in.

That said, I was very impressed with the pickup system and felt it was a very natural sound. It didn't have the magnetic "electric" bite of the ES1 and I didn't miss the extra sensor of the ES1 - the sound had enough "air" to give it that acoustic feeling. Playing higher up the neck still gave a slightly accentuated mid, more so than regular bridge pickups but thankfully less than the ES1; I would say that it had more substance to the sound rather than just being plain "wrong" in the case of the ES1!

Strumming, flatpicking note runs and fingerstyle up and down the neck all worked very nicely. If I ordered a Taylor unplayed and this was how it sounded when I got it I would have been very pleased.

As I said, this is so far the only example of the ES2 that I have played and listened to personally, as opposed to on-line samples, but so far I am impressed.

Incidentally, the new 600 series - very very nice indeed
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-21-2015, 04:13 AM

Have never tried the ES2 but to me in looking at the system, the design could leave inconsistency as to how much pressure was applied to the back set screws. I know that is deemed the key to its natural sound but UTS and glued or taped SBT have consistant pressure. Screws are tightened by human beings and wood can expand and contract the slot?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-21-2015, 04:39 AM

It is subjective. But I've tried both and own the es1 (in a 412) My experience has been to use the trs hookup, for a hi fi sound, if that fits your music/show/approach.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniO View Post
I've played (and sold) two Taylors, a 2015 514 and a new re-voiced 2015 814 because of the ES2.
wow, that sounds like some expensive experimentation
Old 04-21-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Called Taylor and they acted as if I was the first Taylor user to ever report such issues.
I had a 2012 Taylor 714ce and I hated the pickup system. I called Taylor with the same gripe and got the same response
Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Have never tried the ES2 but to me in looking at the system, the design could leave inconsistency as to how much pressure was applied to the back set screws. I know that is deemed the key to its natural sound but UTS and glued or taped SBT have consistant pressure. Screws are tightened by human beings and wood can expand and contract the slot?
Interesting... I replaced the saddles in both of my ES2 with bone, and in the process did the pickup adjustments, myself. Perhaps that's the reason mine sound so consistent?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:49 AM

I have a 414ce with ES2 and played my first gig with it last weekend.

It was a duo situation (2 guitars) through a single QSC K10 Powered Speaker and Yamaha mixer set up ...

Sounded great!

I set my Mixer's EQ flat and just used the guitar's controls. I followed Taylor's guide of increasing both bass and treble to about 2-3 o'clock to scoop the midrange... Also turning bass and treble down 9-10 o'clock and increasing volume created a boost of mids.

This was my experience.... I assume in general the room and sound system make a big part of any guitar's sound..
Old 04-21-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Interesting... I replaced the saddles in both of my ES2 with bone, and in the process did the pickup adjustments, myself. Perhaps that's the reason mine sound so consistent?
What kind of tonal change did you notice after switching from Micarta to bone for your saddle? I was a bit surprised that Micarta was chosen in the first place and have wondered what bone would do to the already amazing 800 series. I tried a bone saddle on my Larrivee over the original Tusq and although the volume and bass were increased a bit, I actually found that the high end became a bit harsh. Taylor guitars are already bright so I wonder if bone would be a bad choice?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just wondering if any other Taylor folks have the same issues I am having with the ES2? I've played (and sold) two Taylors, a 2015 514 and a new re-voiced 2015 814 because of the ES2. The sound is very "muddy" and doesn't sound natural at all. It takes a lot of adjusting to get EQ that sounds almost satisfactory. I tried adjusting the piezo pick ups and clicking the switch inside the guitar on the electronic box. No luck with either method. (Those methods did help the sensitivity and noise I was getting from the strings though).

Called Taylor and they acted as if I was the first Taylor user to ever report such issues. I'm new at this so I don't know the tech info on piezo pickups. But surely a plug and play system isn't too much to ask on such expensive guitars.

Currently on the search for Taylors without electronics or those with the ES1 v. 3.

I've read threads here where people are raving about the new Taylors and their electronics. I am just not a fan. Anyone else out there?
I plug-in and play ES2-equipped Taylors usually with all EQ flat on guitar and mixer. I currently have only one ES2-equipped Taylor and have just sold or traded two others but not because of the ES2--I just wanted some different guitars. The ES2 is the best-sounding and easiest-to-use factory-installed system I've experienced.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
es2, taylor