The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-20-2015, 10:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Advice: How to Remove Neck and Top from Acoustic Guitar

Howdy. Last week I bought a down-and-dirty Japanese guitar from thirty years ago. It's pretty thrashed, but for practice I wanna remove the neck and then the top. Does anyone know of any good FREE You Tube vids for either of these operations, or even a book or two?

If I destroy the guitar, nothing lost; I only paid $40 for it. It is a twelve string, so just for yucks I wanna convert it to a six-string. Fun fun fun, as the Beach Boys said.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
CL
Old 04-21-2015, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Look up frets.com and you can learn what is involved. My 1st reset was an Alvarez 12 string from the 70's. I quickly learned that a 1/4" thick glob of epoxy glue in the dovetail joint is impervious to a steaming needle.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Look up frets.com and you can learn what is involved. My 1st reset was an Alvarez 12 string from the 70's. I quickly learned that a 1/4" thick glob of epoxy glue in the dovetail joint is impervious to a steaming needle.
Brad, thanks. I also posted this thread over on luthiers forum and got a lot of great ideas. I will check out frets.com as well, forgot about them.

Thanks,
CL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair