The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2019, 01:20 AM

Lightbulb Taylor 322e - V or X bracing

Good morning!

The Title says it all: did anyone tried the new GC V bracing, and how they compare to the previous X bracing (not the 12-fret)?
The 322e is on my radar (again, not the 12-fret).. but not really sure!

Look forward to your answers !

BR
Old 05-27-2019, 02:54 AM

Haven't tried any of the Grand Concert models with V-bracing yet...but I've played more than a fairshare of GAs with and without it...to include the 324ce.

Whether or not you like the new bracing is completely on your shoulders....but the Blackwood/Mahogany wood combo is AWESOME. Warm, full, and (IMO) one of the best offerings Taylor has.

Happy hunting! I think you chose a great model to consider!
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 05-27-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawshot1975 View Post
Haven't tried any of the Grand Concert models with V-bracing yet...but I've played more than a fairshare of GAs with and without it...to include the 324ce.

Whether or not you like the new bracing is completely on your shoulders....but the Blackwood/Mahogany wood combo is AWESOME. Warm, full, and (IMO) one of the best offerings Taylor has.

Happy hunting! I think you chose a great model to consider!
Hey! Thanks for your message!
I agree, the Blackwood/Mahogany Combo is really tempting. It is very hard to find a comparison between the X and V for the GC models, unfortunately.

I hope that someone more experienced will help us clear this doubt
Old 05-27-2019, 06:23 AM

I got to try a v-braced 312e a week or two, these guitars are starting to show up. They didn’t have a 322 IIRC but did have a 512 or something.

It played well but I couldn’t totally tell on the sound as someone was playing electric in the store at a really obnoxious volume level, which is quite rare for that store.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:55 PM

Haven't played that model yet, but every v braced guitar I've tried doesn't suit me as well as Andy's performance braced models.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:38 AM

If you regularly play in the upper registers the V brace is a no brainer imo. Playing in the middle of the fretboard and into the high end, the added sustain and power makes it much easier to get notes to ring out clearly. If most of your playing is below the seventh fret you'll have to see how the added sustain translates into your style and technique. The slower decay of notes might get in the way.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 05-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Hello everyone, thanks for your answers.
Maybe since they are relatively new, they have not yet started to be reviewed.. And probably they are not really loved out there, I think the GA are the most sold from Taylor.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me
Old 05-28-2019, 03:35 PM

I think the GC body would need as much help in the bass department as it can. (simply because its a smaller guitar, not that its bad). That said, many of us have found the V class guitar to have less bass presence than their X braced counterparts.
Just my opinion. Have not played a V lass 322 but have played an X braced 322. Really nice I must say, had a nice thumpy bottom end and warm trebles.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

I played a whole bunch of their different models while I was searching for the right addition to the family.
I generally agree about the tonal assessments made by our other forum friends.
One thing that I think significantly sets the V-class apart is the more correct intonation the V-class provides.
If you play drop D, or drop double D, you might hear the difference on the higher fretted notes (more true to tone) but where I really hear it is when tuned to DADGAD, or C-6 Open, or CACGce for Led Zeppelin's Bron yr Aur-
Those really low C notes when tuned true on an X braced guitar will ring about 1/16th sharp at the 12th fret- They ring about half as sharp on V-braced model.
So do you play a lot of alternate tunings and you aren't in the market for a guitar with a Multiscale fingerboard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-...ed-fret_guitar

This V-class bracing is a pretty good option.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:11 PM

There is no getting around trying the guitars for yourself. I've played a ton of V's since they came out and every now and again there's a winner. The problem (for me) is that there are too many V models (or at least units within those models) that lose something(s) to gain the touted features and benefits. I have played a few V's that are really quite good, but far too many that IMO were "lacking". JMO

Don't take anybody's work for it. You like what you like. So go forth and demo like crazy.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 PM

Taylor all hogs are probably my favorite just can't afford one in my pre-retirement mode!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
grand concert, taylor 322e, v bracing, x bracing