The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2016, 08:09 AM

Default The torturous wait...

While I have been growing fonder of my 514, I'm still not as hooked on it as I thought I'd be. As such, while I have greatly narrowed my interests, I have kept it posted for trade locally. I was contacted by a gent here in town that I've done some trading with before - he wanted to buy a Taylor and asked if he could try it out. He was very happy with it so we set a visit at his place to see what I might be interested in.

I went by at lunch yesterday and played some sweet guitars - the stand-out to me, which coincidentally is the one he is most interested in trading, was a Santa Cruz OM with an Adi top and hog back and sides. While it didn't have the resonance of my Taylor (brand new string on mine vs old on his), the OM had a sweet, expressive tone. It was very woody sounding vs the bell tone of the Taylor. I started doing some finger picking and it was instant John Prine...and the neck plays itself. Structurally, the guitar is perfect, but there's a fair bit of checking in the finish on the top - I don't mind that though. Only snag - he offered his brother the first chance to buy if he unloaded it, so I have to wait on word from him. Gonna be a couple hopeful but torturous days.

2009 Martin OM-28 Marquis
2016 Gibson J45 Standard
Old 02-06-2016, 08:22 AM

I'm rooting for you! With all respect to Taylor, I think that with a deep cleaning, pro setup and new strings, you will feel like you "married up."

Keep us posted!

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Hoping you get that SC! Sounds like a great one -
Old 02-10-2016, 12:15 PM

Looks like the torture has ended...appears he is going to hold onto the SC. Frustrating as it was he who had proposed the trade, but understandable...and I still have a great 514 out of it ;-)

2009 Martin OM-28 Marquis
2016 Gibson J45 Standard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion