The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2015, 07:35 PM

Default short scale guitars more prone to be sharp when using capo

I've been using my gs mini for some time with the band, and I consistently find that this guitar (which has a shorter scale than normal) tends to be more sharp when I use a capo on it. all strings will tend to be a few cents sharper than if I capoed my standard scale one, using the same Kyser capo.

I wonder if this is a unusual, or a well known fact?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

The Kyser capo, at least the one I own, does tend to throw strings sharp more than other capos. But if you need to take a capo off one-handed, there are no other good choices.

To me, all capos throw a guitar a little sharp, but I think you are correct, that a short scale guitar will be slightly more sharp than say a 25.4" scale guitar.

- Glenn
Old 09-03-2015, 07:40 PM

Watch this video beginning at the 1:07 mark. Tommy E tells you how to solve the problem. It works!!

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 09-03-2015, 08:00 PM

Great video
Perfect timing for me.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:27 PM

Can't view the video right now. But:

-Without some sort of intonation compensating nut, the first few frets will tend to be most off in tuning among all those on the neck (technically they will all be a little off though, capo or not, wherever you are aside from open and the twelfth.) There are physics behind that. You can compensate somewhat through tuning with the capo on, if you use one constantly.

-Short scale guitars will probably require thicker gauge strings for a capo exerting the same amount of pressure, especially if large frets are at play. I own a 24" scale (electric) guitar, and I've always gone one-up in gauge to keep the force consistent with longer scale axes (among other things)
Old 09-04-2015, 11:16 AM

My experience: A good capo (Shubb in my case) plus careful placement and I have no intonation issues or tuning issues with my short scale guitar.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
I've been using my gs mini for some time with the band, and I consistently find that this guitar (which has a shorter scale than normal) tends to be more sharp when I use a capo on it. all strings will tend to be a few cents sharper than if I capoed my standard scale one, using the same Kyser capo.

I wonder if this is a unusual, or a well known fact?
"short scale guitars more prone to be sharp when using capo"

As a general statement I don't think that is true. And as a GS Mini owner it's not my experience. As a former Kyser capo owner, your conclusion does not surprise me.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:37 PM

Yup; shorter strings tend to go sharper at a given pitch. They're easier to 'bend', need more compensation, and will tend to go sharper when you use any capo than longer strings will. Nut compensation does seem to help with a capo, but it's not perfect. After all, compensation is set up to work when you press the string down in one place, but when you play with a capo you're pressing some of them down in two places.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:42 PM

Nice. Tommy's technique is the same principle as I learned for putting yer Strat back in tune after using the whammy bar.
Press it hard and let it go and everything pops right back into tune. (Sometimes)

As for short scale guitars, they definitely have less leeway for being a teeny bit out. I noticed that a lot when I had a Taylor Baby, very fine tuning required.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:47 PM

Al Carruth wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
Yup; shorter strings tend to go sharper at a given pitch. They're easier to 'bend', need more compensation, and will tend to go sharper when you use any capo than longer strings will.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
Nut compensation does seem to help with a capo, but it's not perfect. After all, compensation is set up to work when you press the string down in one place, but when you play with a capo you're pressing some of them down in two places.
Right.

My summation of your situation, silverspear, is that, yes, shorter scale guitars do have a bit more of a tendency to go sharp when capoed than longer scale guitars have, but the second part of the problem is that you're using the brand of capo most likely to exacerbate the problem: unless you're super careful about the capo's placement, Kyser capos have a tendency to drive the strings sharper than most other brands of capos.

My recommendation is that you work on your capo placement, but also consider getting another type of capo so you can do side by side comparisons with it and the Kyser. I prefer, use and recommend Shubb capos, as I find they tend to distort the tuning less than any others that I've tried.

Naturally, your mileage may vary, but to my mind it's worth trying a Shubb just to see whether that improves things for you.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-04-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
My experience: A good capo (Shubb in my case) plus careful placement and I have no intonation issues or tuning issues with my short scale guitar.
I do have the shubb capo too, it wprks very well but I do get to adjust tuning after I put it on.
Often the B string and low E string. Now I won't argue if you say that most people won't hear a few pourcent sharp or flat on 2 strings but my tuner does...

"The only goal is in the process. The process is the thing--with little flashes of light-those are the gigs, the live shows…it's the life in between. That's all I got." Jeff Buckley
Old 09-04-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceletah View Post
I do have the shubb capo too, it wprks very well but I do get to adjust tuning after I put it on.
Often the B string and low E string. Now I won't argue if you say that most people won't hear a few pourcent sharp or flat on 2 strings but my tuner does...

Granted. But you might want to work with the adjustment screw on your Shubb. Many folks think TIGHT capos equal better tuning/intonation accuracy which is simply not the case.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:59 PM

thanks guys for the affirmative responses! using the kyser, can live with the sharpness on my normal scale, but not on the gs mini short scale... I think I'll try the shubb.. great suggestion. thanks!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:55 PM

Count me amongst those who don't think that short-scale guitars are more prone to intonation issues when using a capo. I think what matters is the string height because the greater that is, the more a capo will pull the strings sharp. If you have a short-scale guitar that has a greater string height/neck relief to sort of compensate for the slightly lower tension, then maybe capos would cause a greater tuning problem – but my personal experience is that the scale length makes no practical difference when using a capo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion