The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I just put a set of the low tension on my SC Koa OM - they are pretty nice. Fresh on and tuned up, they feel real good, are staying in tune despite some heavy strumming, and have a very nice, balanced tone to them - very much like a nicely broken in set of strings, but with a slightly different, more even feel to them. Hard to describe. I would say they are worth a shot - it'll be a while before I know how they hold up and how they sound over time, but initially, I'm impressed.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I just put a set of the low tension on my SC Koa OM - they are pretty nice. Fresh on and tuned up, they feel real good, are staying in tune despite some heavy strumming, and have a very nice, balanced tone to them - very much like a nicely broken in set of strings, but with a slightly different, more even feel to them. Hard to describe. I would say they are worth a shot - it'll be a while before I know how they hold up and how they sound over time, but initially, I'm impressed.
The medium tension set I put on my Tippin in April is in midlife now, after more than 20 hours of playing time. They are behaving consistently. I'm waiting for them to slide into end life. No sign of that yet. I put the light tension set on my Collings, with only about 10 hours of playing time so far.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

I will definitely try these on my SC ... been hearing about them for a long while, and strings -- even at $17/set -- are a cheap date for tone enhancement, or even just changing up the tone for the sake of change.

On the price and broad market appeal: I doubt SCGC is trying to hit big time revenue targets with a new string business, they are surely next step in their pursuit of doing everything 200% above and beyond, for their own guitars & players first. Their intended market is probably SCGC buyers, who are probably not adverse to spending money to optimize tone (just a WILD guess). And of course, there's the science behind it all! (on the website).

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 07-15-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
very much like a nicely broken in set of strings, but with a slightly different, more even feel to them. Hard to describe. I would say they are worth a shot - it'll be a while before I know how they hold up and how they sound over time, but initially, I'm impressed.
Tadol - this is a great summary - I agree 100% - they play very much like a nicely broken in set of strings from the get-go. They sound sweet and have a lot of overtones. I'm impressed, too.

I've tried a lot of different strings and brands. The tension issue has always been a variable that I couldn't nail down. And I know how subjective that the evaluation can be - we accommodate very quickly. But, I'm immediately finding that my fingers are a lot more comfortable playing the SCGC strings. I like the way they feel. And if my fingers are more relaxed, my playing will be better, right?

They are an excellent match to my Bourgeois OO (a close cousin to Richard Hoover's guitars) and they have brought out the best from it.

I'll keep y'all posted as I keep playing. Since they are coated, I am hoping for a relatively long lifespan. If you are interested, it one of the least expensive experiments that you can perform on your instrument. It's more fun than an $18.00 lottery ticket - Go for it.

Rick

PS- I need to get ready for work asap and have to tear myself away from the guitar this morning - that's telling, eh?
Old 07-15-2015, 05:59 AM

One way to check them out without buying a set is auditioning a new SCGC guitar at your local dealer, as I read that their new guitars will be strung with them. I don't whether it will be the low or medium tension though...

I have a set of the light tension on my D/PW and like them. It's noticeable how even the tension is across the set.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:07 AM

Do they actually state what the tensions are anywhere, or do they just say "low" or "medium"? Do they use the same unwound strings in both sets?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:31 AM

HHP - the number is nowhere stated, but it seems that a lot of the design credit is given to Roger Siminoff http://siminoff.net/straight-up-strings/.

From what I am seeing, the crux of the "evenly tensioned" design (my words) is the amount of downward pressure placed on the bridge.

I'll also be interested to see how the quality compares over several packages and with time.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 AM

Default Nickel Free Too

I just noticed that the strings are nickel and lead free. I have a nickel allergy and this is a significant plus for me. Someday I'll post a document of my nickel allergy woes and steps I needed to take to be able to play my guitar.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:39 AM

I attended the NAMM show last week and got a set for free (low tension). Definitely looking forward to trying them on my OM Grand.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks for all who have chimed in with their firsthand experience of these. They sound really promising. I just received two sets of the low tension and plan to try them on my two Wingerts - a German/Coco E (close to an OM size) and a cedar/EIR OO. I will weigh in after I get them strung up next week.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I just noticed that the strings are nickel and lead free. I have a nickel allergy and this is a significant plus for me. Someday I'll post a document of my nickel allergy woes and steps I needed to take to be able to play my guitar.
srick - I have a nickel allergy as well so another reason why they may be worth the price to me if they have the tone and feel that I like. Please post the document as I certainly would be interested in reading it. Thanks!

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 07-15-2015 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 07-15-2015, 09:10 AM

Jayne - PM sent.

Rick
Old 07-15-2015, 12:09 PM

Interesting idea. I'll wait a while to see how others like them. They are a little pricey. Might be worth a few extra bucks if reports are good.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:41 PM

I have had a set of the SC lo-tension on my OM grand for a week now. They definitely play easier than what has been my string of choice up to this point (Newtone PB 12-54) They are warm with strong bass and pleasing round trebles and intonation is spot on. One week of heavy play and they still sound great.

When I asked SC whether they are 80/20 or PB...I was told that the composition is proprietary and that only the core was coated for corrosion protection...coulda fooled me, they are quite slick feeling strings with little string squeak compared to the Newtones. Can't go back now...they're that good.

Downside...SC says 7 days lead time from order date.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:15 PM

I have a set on order to put on my OM/PW. Presently I am using Martin Retro Lights and really like them. I've not found anything I like better than the Retros on this guitar, and I've tried just about every brand on the market. Will let you know how they sound when I get them on.

goufous
Collings UT1 Tenor Ukulele
Eastman 305 Mandolin
McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer
Thomason Mountain Dulcimer
Deering Eagle ii Banjo
Homemade Wash Tub Bass
O'Riordon Tin whistle (Traveler Set)
Hammered Dulcimer by Jim Hudson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion