The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-19-2007, 10:05 AM

Default "America" (the Group) Again...

It is kind of amazing to me that on the "must have" 10 albums on "Open Mic" (or "best groups") a number of us list "America" among them. Not because they weren't talented. Man-they were! I remember hearing "Horse With No Name," thinking it was Neil Young with voice lessons! (--I love Neil too). But the blend of great, tight, 3-part harmonies, acoustic work (very tasty-"Ventura Highway," e.g.) and upbeat stuff (well, you HAVE to immolate "Muskrat Love!")...just really good.

Here's my all-time favorite America song, from an album by the same name: "Hat Trick:" a multi-movement, kind of folk-rock symphony. I had an old "Napster" version (try FINDING "Hat Trick"!!!), but recently downloaded LEGALLY from iTunes their MP4 of this tune (yes, it's on there). To me, this was America at its best.

If you don't recall the song "Hat Trick," or haven't listened to it of late (it is like 8 minutes long-waaaaaaay too long for popular airplay-even on ol' radical "FM" back when) invest the paltry .99 and download it. Then tell me this is NOT a great tune! I'm enjoying it now as I type on my iPod with a nice set of Sony headphones. Good tune!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 AM

Funny, I heard "A Horse With No Name" on the way into work this morning (I listened to it all the way through, which is unusual for me)

An acoustic trio I was in many years ago actually did an "America" medley (including "Ventura Highway," the guitar figure of which I played on piano)

I'm not familiar with "Hat Trick," so I'll seek it out. . .

Last edited by FLDavid; 10-22-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling are us
Old 10-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDavid View Post
Funny, I heard "A Horse With No Name" on the way into work this morning (I listened to it all the way through, which is unusual for me)

An acoustic trio I was in many years ago actually did an "America" medely (including "Ventura Highway," the guitar figure of which I played on piano)

I'm not familiar with "Hat Trick," so I'll seek it out. . .
Hey, David--you will (I think) be surprised. Now--you gotta think back to 1973-1974, and the level of musical sophistication of the Billboard Groups. Keeping a tune around the 3 minute or so mark was critical; and I LOVED the music of that era--but the best work of many of the groups was yet to come with the "time handcuffs" off; I'm thinking of the Doobies, Eagles, Seals and Crofts, Carly Simon--and a bit later Supertramp, YES (well they were always LONG!), ELP, Carole King, Lightfoot, and some solo work by "former" Beatles like Harrison ("All Things Must Pass" was a tour de' force!); so get your brain back then...and then enjoy! (Let me know what you think-PM or post-either).

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Martin HD-28
Old 10-19-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum View Post
It is kind of amazing to me that on the "must have" 10 albums on "Open Mic" (or "best groups") a number of us list "America" among them. Not because they weren't talented. Man-they were!
Interesting thread. I've been on a mission of converting my old vinyl to digital so I can enjoy them (again) on my digital player. I've been going in no particular order and this past weekend it was America's "Homecoming". As I was listening in the headphones to the harmonies and how they put three guitar parts together in such a way that all played an important part, yet didn't step on the others, I was amazed again.

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 10-19-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelhenry View Post
Interesting thread. I've been on a mission of converting my old vinyl to digital so I can enjoy them (again) on my digital player. I've been going in no particular order and this past weekend it was America's "Homecoming". As I was listening in the headphones to the harmonies and how they put three guitar parts together in such a way that all played an important part, yet didn't step on the others, I was amazed again.
Likely underrated, and lumped into some pop-phenomenon pigeon-hole. They had some really good stuff beyond "Horse...". I count the single "Hat Trick" among them. That's me. You really have to listen to it from beginning to end. A "gem" to me. But that's just me.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Martin HD-28
Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 AM

I grew up listening to America in the 70's. One of my favorite groups all through high school. I do several of their numbers in my set and everyone one of them getrs great response even today. Their music seems timeless.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Me

I like many of their songs.
That monotone, monotonous slow paced yawner that doesn't even deserve to be called a song, "A Horse With No Name" is just terrible.

I like their version of "Muskrat Love" much more than than pile of putridity.

Did I mention that I don't like that song?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
I like many of their songs.
That monotone, monotonous slow paced yawner that doesn't even deserve to be called a song, "A Horse With No Name" is just terrible.

I like their version of "Muskrat Love" much more than than pile of putridity.

Did I mention that I don't like that song?
Me neither .. "There were plants and birds and rocks and things ..." things?

However, we do "I Need You" and "Only In Your Heart" in our sets. I have also played "Sister Golden Hair" for years.

2003 Taylor 814cES
2000 Taylor K14c
2011 James Tyler Variax JTV-69, Lake Placid Blue
JR Beck SHC-908 (ES 135 copy)
Crate Powerblock and JDesign custom cabinet

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevefeinstein,
The Tim and Bob Show buy our CD at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timandbob
http://www.feintuned.com
Old 10-22-2007, 04:32 PM

"Ventura Highway" conjures up memories for me of filling my thermos with steaming coffee, tossing my law school books in the trunk, strapping my X-C skis to the roof rack, turning on the car radio and heading off to Crystal Mt. or Cayuse Pass in the mornings and then breezing into class in the afternoons, sunburned, exhausted, and grinning like an idiot. It's a great song, but the memories make it better. "Tin Man" is a close second, despite the non sequitur lyrics.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:39 PM

Are alligator lizards REALLY in the air? I always liked their music; I always thought a lot of the lyrics were....hmmm..... weird!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:25 PM

I was in High School in the eighties.

At that time a guy who had already graduated and was struggling with life had moved into an apartment in an urban wasteland south of Boston where rents were cheap - a place called Mattapan.

He used to sing a song like this:

"I lived in Mattapan with a Rat with no name,
but it was good to be out of the rain."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell