The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
This is a great article, and it's rejuvenated my desire to use a thumbpick. So off I go to make bad music for a few days!
That link is dead. I believe the article is now at http://www.eltjohaselhoff.com/Main/A...humb_pick.html
Old 01-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Default Thumbpicks

I like the sound of the heavy Nationals, but they fit so tightly they cut off my circulation. I should probably try the hot water method to loosen the fit. I modified a National years ago by cutting the blade short and shaping it. The result was somewhat better control and lousy sound. I've used Fred Kelly Speed Picks (dull sound) and Herco hybrid picks (too loose, blah sound). I tried a metal thumbpick briefly and decided I may as well attack my guitar top with a steak knife. I should point out that I mostly strum with thumb picks--I finger pick with flesh only.

"May you stay forever young."-Dylan
Old 01-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Blue Chip thumb pick - best I've ever used.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 PM

+1 for the Blue Chip. Expensive, but well worth the money and I'll never be without one.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:42 PM

+2 on the Blue Chip. I just got one, tweaked the metal band just a hair, and went to town. Good sound, good fit. Lovely!

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
I try not to eat them.
I'd imagine lead gets absorbed by skin but probably less than the benzine that's in air freshener. I'd stop using it if there was another metal as plyable and packaged the same way.
You can find lead-free solders. My wife uses silver solders for her jewelry work, and that has no lead in it. I believe that there are other lead-free solder alloys as well.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Lots of good suggestions here. I was in the same boat a while back when I decided to go from flesh picking to using thumb and fingerpicks. Based in part on comments in threads like this one, I went on Elderly's site and ordered a literal bagfull of assorted thumb and fingerpicks. It wasn't especially cheap, but it seemed the best way to figure out what worked for me. After lots of switching around, I settled on the Fred Kelly Speedpick (the heavy Delrin one), but my second-favorite is the Fred Kelly Bumblebee.

I kind of wish I could learn to like the nearly ubiquitous Dunlop thumbpick, or any other pick that's readily available in your local guitar shop, just due to the convenience factor (plus they're cheap), but they just don't work for me.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjino View Post
When did they change? I hope I didn't miss out by not stocking up on old ones shortly after the change.
Bump for a great question: What did they change on the John Pearse thumbpicks (shape and materials)? I use these as well. I also use Ernie Ball thumbpicks because they're a lot thinner than Nationals.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 PM

I use the herco picks

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion