The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 PM

Back and sides can make a big difference in the tone -- even if they are laminated. I compared a GK-Studio with a GK-Studio Negra head to head and the difference was enormous between laminated cypress back and sides and laminated rosewood back and sides (which is the only differences between the models) I had a strong preference for the rosewood.

Everything else makes a difference in tone too -- strings, bracing, bridge, nut, quality of wood. Is one thing better than another -- maybe or maybe not. Guitars are like soups -- A particular ingredient might be a favorite, but it doesn't mean it goes with everything.

I'd suggest playing as many guitars as you can and finding out more about what you like before you pull the trigger.

Cordoba C9 and C10 seem like good values IMO. I do know a guy with a C10 (spruce topped) and it is sweet. Yeah tone is in the fingers and all that, but he sounds a lot better on it than he did on a $150 guitar.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 PM

The guitar a performer would chose to play on stage i call it concert classical guitar....usually something above 4k.
For instance some model from the professional line of Jose Ramirez.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:52 AM

Thanks so much for your tips guys! Like I said, I just don't want to make a purchase mistake, and hearing all this info will help me narrow down my search for sure. I'm going to go play some guitars today at a couple of shops and see what my ears tell me.
As far as tone production, of course the player is going to be the most relevant factor in the equation. That being said, my TL is Western Red Cedar soundboard with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, sounds a heck of a lot better than my old D28. To my ears anyway.
So with that understanding, I really want a to get something with a cedar top to bring out those tones other than the primary.
My guitar teacher was the first guy to tell my that the Nylon guys don't put as much stock into solid being superior to laminate, thus the nature of this thread.
Thanks again for all of your thoughts. I really enjoy reading your posts!
Mark

Last edited by sourceforce; 04-23-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 AM

If that Yamaha flamenco you are playing is a CG171SF or 172SF model, I believe you will be looking at a $1K and upward price range to get something consistently better. Those are one of the best buys in nylon string guitars in my opinion. I have compared them many times to sub $1K instruments and mostly have preferred the Yamaha (keeping in mind I prefer flamenco type instruments). I have a small factory build student model flamenco with all solid wood that came in just under $1K. It is slightly more guitar but not a night and day difference. Then I have a all solid builder guitar that was more expensive that definitely gives a night and day difference. More power up and down the neck, more clarity, more content.

I think a decent way to define your search for nylon might be factory versus builder. You can scope price ranges and get an idea where you land. A builder guitar is most likely going to put you well north of $2K, but you can score a nice factory guitar in a pretty wide price range if you have the luxury of shopping.

As for laminate versus solid, it is always tough to tell since you can't get the opportunity to compare the same top with different back and side. I can echo the experiences above with the GK and the GK negra. I owned both and did hear a noticeable difference between the laminated cypress and the lam rosewood. I kept the cypress and sold the rosewood so tastes vary. I did have the opportunity to do a side by side comparison with a cypress GK Pro which is all solid woods. I heard very little difference in sound. Maybe very slightly warmer with solid but the guitars had different strings and that alone could account or the difference I heard. Maybe the difference would be more apparent with rosewood but I didn't get to make that comparison. I did see better build details and wood appearance on the Pro. I have played some good sounding Kenny Hills with laminate back and sides that more than got the job done. If I liked what I hear, I can go laminated.

As for concert versus student model, I tend to also think of this distinction as marketing but will add that concert and grand concert models are often "builder" guitars versus "factory" guitars. Meaning typically a builder has, well, built the guitar. That may include using his select woods, his fabricated rosettes, his carving, his tuning and his finishing. I think name stems from the idea that a builder can custom build the guitar to maximize its volume and clarity for a concert setting.

I own a nice builder guitar from a respected builder that came in well under that $4K price range and it is in the game when it comes to sound. This builder just happens to be in a country that is not as in fashion for high end builders and has a lower cost of living.

hunter
Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, Hunter.
Yes the Yamaha is the CG172sf and I love it. I'm just restless for another cedar topped guitar. I really do prefer the sound of cedar to spruce. At least at this point....
Very good points that will bear heavy in my considerations!
Thanks so much
Mark
Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 AM

Pictured below is a wonderful 1985 Eric Sahlin guitar that I owned for a few years....awesome instrument, although it had lived a hard life before reaching me. Eric constructed the sides out of laminated Brazilian and Indian Rosewood. Typical gorgeous Sahlin tone through and through.

In my own humble opinion, back and sides have much less influence on overall tone when compared to the top, bracing, and playing technique..

Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
I disagree with that . I own a 23 year classical which sounds great for 900$ new.
If you mean that guitar was $900 new 23 years ago, then today it would cost $1561.

Dave

Last edited by Dave T; 04-26-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
If you mean that guitar was $900 new, 23 years ago then today it would cost $1561.

Dave
No, its selling price for a new one today is $900.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical