The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 AM

Default Gibson Government Series?

Has anyone purchased a Gibson Government Series guitar? I bought a Les Paul yesterday and expect it to arrive in about a week. I primarily bought it for the collectable values and am pretty anxious to see what happens with it. I have already heard of them selling for $600 over the original price and wonder where they will go. I think it's a pretty interesting story and comment about the way the government handled Gibson for using the same woods that Martin uses and I am happy that they had the stones to do it. I wish that they would have used the wood on an acoustic model.

Jim
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 AM

If the cost has already gone up $600, at least it is aptly named.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 AM

Now THAT's funny! I don't care who you are. That thar's funny. LOL
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker View Post
Now THAT's funny! I don't care who you are. That thar's funny. LOL
Hahaha...yup, sure is.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:33 PM

The issue is not over what species of wood they used, but rather sourcing wood from a post coup dictatorship that was not enforcing their own laws (Madagascar) and wood that was not processed to legal dimensions prior to export (India). Having spent 5 years of my career traveling to India regularly, the poverty there is something that has to be seen to be understood. I tried to capture it with pictures and they just don't make the point. I don't doubt for a little money in India, or most of the developing world, you can get "legal" paperwork to export whatever you please (historic artifacts are probably more newsworthy), which is no doubt cheaper and easier than sharing a bit of the end product revenue by hiring them to do some of the work. I don't think we really know how sketchy (or not) Gibson's behavior was, but I would not be running to back them up imagining how much better Henry Juszkiewicz is living compared to most Indians. Somehow Martin and Taylor manage to survive in the same ecosystem without these kind of problems. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Hey Jim - I'll be looking forward to some pics and a review. I believe the MSRP was around $1100 ... I take it the purchase price is a little less?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Jim - I'll be looking forward to some pics and a review. I believe the MSRP was around $1100 ... I take it the purchase price is a little less?
The MSRP was set at $1099, might not get the joke implied in Canada.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I have already heard of them selling for $600 over the original price and wonder where they will go.
I didn't see a $600 markup. Did you get your seller's PayPal address to send a $600 demonstration of what a great guy you are before your new guitar arrives?

Quote:
I think it's a pretty interesting story and comment about the way the government handled Gibson for using the same woods that Martin uses and I am happy that they had the stones to do it.
The news articles I linked here that were censored quoted different guitar makers saying they avoided problems by making good efforts to follow the rules of the road. After reading news - not pundits - and official records posted I decided it was like my drive home from work. I joined the majority of decent drivers from point A to B staying on the road following the signs posted vs go around others, over the boundaries, and push limits the best operators avoided. No problems and everybody who counts was happy with my driving method.

I'll buy you a beer or coffee if this guitar purchase beats the money I put in the stock market on a down day.

Enjoy the new guitar in good health regardless!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The issue is not over what species of wood they used, but rather sourcing wood from a post coup dictatorship that was not enforcing their own laws (Madagascar) and wood that was not processed to legal dimensions prior to export (India). Having spent 5 years of my career traveling to India regularly, the poverty there is something that has to be seen to be understood. I tried to capture it with pictures and they just don't make the point. I don't doubt for a little money in India, or most of the developing world, you can get "legal" paperwork to export whatever you please (historic artifacts are probably more newsworthy), which is no doubt cheaper and easier than sharing a bit of the end product revenue by hiring them to do some of the work. I don't think we really know how sketchy (or not) Gibson's behavior was, but I would not be running to back them up imagining how much better Henry Juszkiewicz is living compared to most Indians. Somehow Martin and Taylor manage to survive in the same ecosystem without these kind of problems. Jon
Indeed. Thanks for the perspective.
Guitars: Martin 00-28; Martin Custom 00-28K; Martin 000-15M; Martin D-10; Martin D-41; Gibson 1939 L-00; Gibson L-00 Rosewood Studio; Gibson J-35; Fender Stratocaster, Telecaster Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul Junior. Others.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 AM

Default Govt series?

Am I to understand that Gibson is marketing a guitar from the wood that was questioned by the US government as being illegal?

I understand that they were technically correct, at least in court. But the Gentleman who speaks of how easy it tis to get false certificates from corrupt Government officials in third world countries is correct.

I'm not sure what this says about Gibson as a company. I can't deny they make great instruments, but to flaunt a somewhat questionable victory in a controversial subject like this seems a little weird. Just another way to make you spend a little more i guess.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM

Gibson knew what they were doing was illegal and got caught.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword Bringer View Post
Am I to understand that Gibson is marketing a guitar from the wood that was questioned by the US government as being illegal?

I understand that they were technically correct, at least in court. But the Gentleman who speaks of how easy it tis to get false certificates from corrupt Government officials in third world countries is correct.

I'm not sure what this says about Gibson as a company. I can't deny they make great instruments, but to flaunt a somewhat questionable victory in a controversial subject like this seems a little weird. Just another way to make you spend a little more i guess.
Gibson was not correct technically or any other way. What they did was illegal and they knew it. Anyone buying a Gov Gibson for a colletor pc is a sucker. I would also stay away from any Gibson guitar made from 2011-2013. There is a reason why Ren Feguson left Gibson.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 AM

no message

Last edited by CrankyChris; 04-23-2014 at 07:48 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars