The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 PM

Default What's my Martin warranty cover

I'm the original owner.

The guitar's neck has bowed such that the neck relief is excessive. Compression fretting is going to cure that.

The neck needs a reset, maybe. We'll see.

The bridge is in the wrong place.

There are cracks in the top, but that's on me.

But the neck and bridge issues? What has Martin done for you in a situation like mine?

I'm asking because I'm likely to drive it down to Bryan Kimsey Monday, and I don't see him listed as an authorized Martin repair guy.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 12-08-2017, 12:44 AM

Martin's Warranty covers Workmanship Defects.

Which basically means whatever you can convince them is their fault.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-08-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
In an inspection of my '72 D18 yesterday at Woodsong's Lutherie in Boulder, I learned about Martin's misplacement of the bridge in the guitar.
Your warranty covers: "defects in materials or workmanship"... the warranty booklet goes on to state, "Martin reserves the right, at its sole and absolute discretion, to repair or replace the various parts of the instrument, rather than to replace the subject instrument under this Limited Warranty."

I see from your previous post that you've had the guitar since 1972. In 45 years, was there some indication or complaint of defective materials or workmanship? Your warranty covers all defects in materials and workmanship for the life of you as the guitar's original registered owner. Probably only Martin, or an authorized Martin service center (who might advocate for you), can tell you if they will address any issues with your guitar. Any authorized repairs would likely take 6 months (or more) to be corrected/repaired at Martin.

After 45 years of life, I would expect any wooden instrument to need some adjustment/repair or maintenance. If it were mine, I would take, or send, it to Mr. Kimsey and have him go over it and make whatever you want adjusted/repaired. He is obviously a known expert on those guitars and you will get a great finished product back ready to play for another 45 years.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

FWTW...about 4 years ago Martin did a neck reset and a bridge repair (actually replaced) on the D18 I purchased new in 1966. They allowed the work to be done by a local authorized Martin repair shop. Total cost to me, $0.00.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbedard View Post
FWTW...about 4 years ago Martin did a neck reset and a bridge repair (actually replaced) on the D18 I purchased new in 1966. They allowed the work to be done by a local authorized Martin repair shop. Total cost to me, $0.00.

Hi shortfinger,

The work has to be done by someone who is Martin certified. The bridge issue Martin knows about—a lot of those had to be moved. I’ve had a neck reset done under warranty, too.

Good luck,
Jimmy

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion