The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Default Selling on Reverb

Put this in the for what it's worth column.

I have sold several high end guitars on Reverb.com over the years. In the process I have shipped quickly and responded quickly. In addition to their being a knowledgable service based company in the Midwest, they have awarded quick shipper, quick responder and preferred seller notations when you post. I never cared about the preferred seller aspect because I am not a business but I did like the quick shipper and quick responder "badges." I think it underlined the feedback aspect.

Well, this week I sold 2 guitars on Reverb and I lost my previous badge notations because it alerted their system. Turns out in order to achieve these badges you have to meet their standards every 90 days now.

I get they want to drive the fees to them through more sales but for smaller entities it shows that once again we are just not worth their time to reward faithful attempts to provide good service/do the right thing for those who are more comfortable purchasing guitars through an entity like Reverb.

Reverb has been a good way for selling to a more musically knowledgable, larger audience. In the end we who want to sell our guitars will choose whatever venue that works for us. I just find it disappointing that once again only the larger companies will be getting the incentives and rewards for using a service like Reverb, particularly when we smaller folks gave Reverb their start.

Just consider me a dinosaur ambling off to the tar pits since I remember when small entities made a difference.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:16 PM

Reverb is getting to be like eBay....greedy and sides with the buyer 90% of the time
Old 11-12-2017, 12:31 AM

was thinking about selling an old guitar on Reverb, guess have to reconsider.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

I just bought a guitar off of Reverb for the the first time the other day. It worked out fine. I do like the EBay experience better though. EBay usually keeps me better informed as to what is going on and the status of the sale or purchase. Not that EBay is perfect or anything.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Last edited by Mr. Jelly; 11-12-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:56 AM

Default Selling on Reverb

The issue for me is returns. People today think they have a right to return anything if they don’t like it.

When I list a guitar and I have answered a buyers 47 questions, dropped my pants on price, packaged to perfection, and sweated bullets that it arrives safely, NO I do not accept returns.

The issue is that eBay almost always makes you accept a return while holding your feedback hostage, as well as Reverb. I’m as clear as water up front about returns, but sometimes buyers suck.

One buyer on Reverb wanted to return a guitar, but I told him that he had to pay my original shipping costs, as well as return shipping. Never heard from him again.

What buyers forget is that yes, it actually did cost me $75-100 to ship your guitar and when you return it, it costs you the same.

End of rant...
Old 11-12-2017, 09:50 AM

thanks for the info Sedaka
Old 11-12-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Reverb is getting to be like eBay....greedy and sides with the buyer 90% of the time
It already does.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:18 AM

On a related topic....Does Reverb have "sold" or completed prices like Ebay? I haven't seen anything and I have to flip to ebay to look at what items actually sold for
Old 11-12-2017, 10:28 AM

Can't tell how much a guitar went for on Ebay if it was Buy It Now.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
On a related topic....Does Reverb have "sold" or completed prices like Ebay? I haven't seen anything and I have to flip to ebay to look at what items actually sold for
Nope.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 11-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
And I actually like Reverb for buying way more than eBay, where I have not even considered for the last 8 years. Selling not bad, but generally a great selection, BUYER friendly policies and musically knowledgeable sellers willing to negotiate. Whether private or commercial. And the ratings do help ... especially good without the small community reputation thing we’ve got here. Do not have that level of buyer confidence with eBay.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 11-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Default reverb

As well as the topics discussed on the 'downside' of Reverb, may I add another 'not-so-nice' issue:
When you contact a seller to get information, and perhaps make an offer, Reverb pesters you with incessant emails trying to get you to purchase the instrument.
To me, that shows that they are primarily interested in their bottom line via the sale.
As much as I dislike E-bay, they have a better 'interface' with customers.
IMHO
Old 11-12-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
Nope.
Check the Price Guide -https://reverb.com/price-guide and plug in your make/model. Some have sparse coverage due to few sales, but there's good guidance on popular guitars. Here's an example for cheap Telecasters: https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide...5-arctic-white
Old 11-12-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
They used to. Now, when an item is sold, you just get a tiny picture of it and a message that "Sorry, this listing sold. Check out the similar listings below", as if they are being helpful. That's too bad, as being able to read the past listings not only gives excellent history price detail, but also details about the instruments etc. that can be useful in research.
Martin OMC-18E
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Old 11-12-2017, 11:47 AM

if you can't sell on reverb nor ebay, where do you sell? on the AGF? or start your own website?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
reverb, selling guitars online