The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Location: Don't mess with Texas. Now it is somewhere in cold Germany.
Default My first post! + Help on pedals!

Hello guys, my first post on this forum! Yay!

I've been following the forum for a while and now I see it is worth joining it. Too many experienced players to share their knowledge!

Well, here is my question:

I've been playing guitar for a fair few years and I now believe is the time to add some pedals, due to the songs I play and the style I like.

I only play acoustic guitar, fingerstyle music or like many others call it, fingerpicking.. I am considering to get a delay, a chorus and a graphic equilizer but my budget is quite limited and I have no experience on pedals, so I need some enlightenment here.

Secondary I am considering a reverb and a compressor, but considering it is an acoustic guitar, I am no sure..

I will appreciate your reply!

Thanks!!

Last edited by luisito8m; 11-30-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to add 1 more pedal
Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 AM

luisito8m...Welcome to the AGF! All of the effects you have mentioned would be good. If I had to pick two of them it would be compressor and delay (but that's a very personal choice.)
Old 11-30-2011, 12:05 PM

You might want to try a chorus pedal. I like this effect with electric or acoustic.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:08 PM

Thanks guys, amazing! I am also looking forward to hear what the pedals exactly do and sound like.. That would be a nice feedback as well.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisito8m View Post
Thanks guys, amazing! I am also looking forward to hear what the pedals exactly do and sound like.. That would be a nice feedback as well.
This site has a pretty good description of what various pedals do:

http://www.gmarts.org/index.php?go=221
Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

HI Luis,

Welcome to the forum!

The only pedal I use is a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI so that my piezo pickup does not sound so "quacky," but tapped into my mixer board is a very nice reverb that I use very sparingly. I like an acoustic guitar to sound like an acoustic guitar, so I only use something like a chorus or delay effect on an electric. Obviously, this is a personal choice, and I am certainly occur with the choices of others that may differ from mine.

- Glenn
Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM

Perhaps a multi-effects unit might be a good starting point for you. They're generally not regarded for the high quality sounds (especially the cheaper models) but it might help to pick up one off of Craigs List/ebay to see what you think.

my 2 cents
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 PM

People usually use pedals to obtain a specific effect, or to address a particular problem (e.g., EQ). Pedals just to have pedals may be putting the cart before the horse. In addition, reverb is often available on amplifiers and PA systems, where a reverb pedal may be superfluous unless you're aiming for a particular flavor which existing amplification doesn't provide.

You might consider, at least initially, a multi-effects unit. Zoom, Boss, TC Electronics, and others make them at a range of price points. You'd be able to use and hear a wide variety of effects individually or together, which should help you pin down what you'd actually find useful for your situation before you spend a lot of money on individual effect pedals you might not actually have any real use for.

Last edited by GmanJeff; 11-30-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Looks like Chris and I were typing at the same time re multi-effects!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
This site has a pretty good description of what various pedals do:

http://www.gmarts.org/index.php?go=221
Terrific! Thanx loads!

@GmanJeff
I once considered that, but a friend of mine lent me his Zoom multieffects pedal and I couldnt even pull out a sound out of it, to many settings, buttons, and knobs. Upon that I started to consider just simple pedals with 3 knobs, how does that sound?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I like an acoustic guitar to sound like an acoustic guitar Glenn
Glenn,
I agree and I use effects on acoustic guitar very sparingly. Like you, I have reverb in my Fishman SA220 (just a touch) but I also use A Keeley Compressor which is awesome for live performance (it doesn't change the sound of the guitar but allows me to control and "Fatten up" the signal as well as giving me much more sustain.) I also use "slapback" delay but only for leads and fills. I would highly recommend the use of a compressor if you play amplified.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
Glenn,
I agree and I use effects on acoustic guitar very sparingly. Like you, I have reverb in my Fishman SA220 (just a touch) but I also use A Keeley Compressor which is awesome for live performance (it doesn't change the sound of the guitar but allows me to control and "Fatten up" the signal as well as giving me much more sustain.) I also use "slapback" delay but only for leads and fills. I would highly recommend the use of a compressor if you play amplified.

Thats a really interesting idea that I'd like to hear for myself. How do you set the compression pot on the Keeley?

The Dynacomp/Ross/Keeley/Tone Press/CS-2 compressors (and a plethora of others that are all variants on the same circuit) are really an 'effect' to me. That's not a bad thing, I like them (sometimes) on electric guitar, but I've never considered or tried to hear how they work with an amplified acoustic.

I've always figured more subtle and optical compression pedals, if any, would be 'more natural' for acoustic guitar. The ears may tell a different story, and I can see it working nicely especially when using a magnetic pickup or piezo. All the more interesting if that signal is mixed with a mic'd signal.

I think the compressor variations with the option to mix in some straight un-compressed effect with the squashed compression would be a great feature when using 'stompbox' style compression with amplified acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, chorus, delay, pedals, reverb