The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-05-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Ah, I see. I suggested he ditch the mixer and plug mic and guitar straight in. If anyone needs more than they they can share, or bring their own. :-)
This may be the simplest solution. Might not sound as good, but sure makes it easier.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

A small, hundred dollar mixer is an excellent addition to the set up allowing more latitude if people show up with additional mics (it happens) or pre amps. Simply plug the output of the mixer into the right input of the L1 Compact and be sure to slide the selector switch to line.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Sorry for the sidetrack question ... but if I play "Harvest Moon" at a wine bar, how much do I owe Neil Young? And how am I supposed to get the money to ASCAP?
It's the responsibility of the venue not the performers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Ah, I see. I suggested he ditch the mixer and plug mic and guitar straight in. If anyone needs more than they they can share, or bring their own. :-)
That will certainly work for solo guitar/vocal performers--and for duos of one singer with one guitarist--but using the little mixer will give him a few more inputs, which he might need if two guitarists want to play together and one or both of them want to sing, too.

For more than that, he'll need a somewhat bigger mixer.

There's also the matter of effects--singers do like a little reverb. Maybe the Harmony singer has a role to play after all, although my own recommendation would be to just get a different small mixer with effects and a few more channels. Maybe a used ZED10FX?

Louis
Old 12-05-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
That will certainly work for solo guitar/vocal performers--and for duos of one singer with one guitarist--but using the little mixer will give him a few more inputs, which he might need if two guitarists want to play together and one or both of them want to sing, too.

For more than that, he'll need a somewhat bigger mixer.

There's also the matter of effects--singers do like a little reverb. Maybe the Harmony singer has a role to play after all, although my own recommendation would be to just get a different small mixer with effects and a few more channels. Maybe a used ZED10FX?

Louis
My 6 channel mixer has 16 effects including reverb. The Harmony singer does offer tone and harmony. I only have 2 mics though.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
My 6 channel mixer has 16 effects including reverb. The Harmony singer does offer tone and harmony. I only have 2 mics though.
OK. So, it's the 6x, not the 6?

That's good, but really that little mixer has only 2 channels that will be readily usable in your situation, although some guitars with active pickups will be able to go into the stereo line inputs. For anything beyond a solo singer/guitarist you may need more inputs depending on what they present to you. A mixer with a few more mic channels, along with a DI or two (and your RedEye is fine, since you've already got it) will give you flexibility to handle most of what you are likely to encounter. You don't want to be turning people away or taking time to figure out how to rig something up on the fly. The whole point is to be welcoming and to make everyone feel comfortable so they do their thing (and some of your performers will be very inexperienced).

Since most people will have pickups, you'll usually be able to do a lot with just the two mics. Having another vocal mic around, just in case--and assuming you've got the inputs--would be a plus, though.

Louis
Old 12-05-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
OK. So, it's the 6x, not the 6?

That's good, but really that little mixer has only 2 channels that will be readily usable in your situation, although some guitars with active pickups will be able to go into the stereo line inputs. For anything beyond a solo singer/guitarist you may need more inputs depending on what they present to you. A mixer with a few more mic channels, along with a DI or two (and your RedEye is fine, since you've already got it) will give you flexibility to handle most of what you are likely to encounter. You don't want to be turning people away or taking time to figure out how to rig something up on the fly. The whole point is to be welcoming and to make everyone feel comfortable so they do their thing (and some of your performers will be very inexperienced).

Since most people will have pickups, you'll usually be able to do a lot with just the two mics. Having another vocal mic around, just in case--and assuming you've got the inputs--would be a plus, though.

Louis
Certainly lots to consider. I will have to make due with the equipment I have right now though. I think I have enough to get started I hope.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am to be the host at an Open Mic at my Retail store after hours. This is part of a winter seminar series we put on. The owner thought this would be a nice change from just having speakers. The area will support 60-70 people seated in folding chairs on the carpeted area of the store with high ceilings. We roll out the softgoods racks for this. I have not done this before, so I am asking for advise.
First, my setup. I will be using my Bose L1 compact. I normally go through a TC Harmony Singer to a Bodyrez pedal to an RCF Lpad 6 channel mixer and then to the Bose. I have both a Sennhieser e835 and a Shure Beta 57a mic.
1. Should I place the Bose on the ground and use the tower or raise up on a table. I am afraid the base will get lost at floor level. I don't have access to a raised platform.
2. Which mic?. I am thinking the E835 might be best.the Shure could be too Hot?
3. Should I eliminate all the pedals and just go straight to the mixer?
4. Should I provide a stool for those that like to play seated?
5. Anything else?
If it were me I would keep it the simplest and the most efficient ...I would ditch everything except the Bose and mixer And I would do a single mic period (one mic for both the guitar and vocal) totally acoustic no plugging in . Either mic will do bring the other as back up.

Then it is simple to set up one sound check at the start and no time spent sound checking plugged in individual pic up levels

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-06-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Certainly lots to consider. I will have to make due with the equipment I have right now though. I think I have enough to get started I hope.
You do!

L.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Sorry for the sidetrack question ... but if I play "Harvest Moon" at a wine bar, how much do I owe Neil Young? And how am I supposed to get the money to ASCAP?
No problem...they'll come to you
Old 12-05-2017, 07:18 PM

Please tell me you guys are joking about this group ASCAP. Most all of us sing some covers. You mean this is an issue? How is it that 100+ venues in Nashville do the 16 hours per day?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:19 PM

Unfortunately, the performance rights organizations (ASCAP, BMI & SESAC) are no joke. ASCAP's threats to sue a venue shut down one of my favorite open mics in the past year. My advice, however, is to just do your open mic until you start hearing from one or more of the PROs (performance rights organizations). Then you can decide whether to pay up or discontinue the open mic.

As far as mics go, you'll likely need to use both of them, preferably on boom stands. Some folks will want their instruments miked, and sometimes you'll have two or more singers.

A good all-purpose preamp with adjustable gain will help you accommodate a variety of instruments with active and passive pickups. You'll be dealing with a wide range of signal levels and pickup characteristics (which may need some EQ help). Beyond that, keep it simple. Don't run the instruments through multiple processors. Some players may bring their own outboard gear and want to go directly to the mixer. Accommodate them.

Music store open mics tend to be on the quiet and respectful side. If that's the case with your open mic, the sound reinforcement won't be terribly critical. Its good to be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:08 PM

Default open, Mike

Keep the mixer, buy all means. The L1C will not work for even one person and a guitar unless the guitar has it's own pickup. Not all do (only one of mine has a p/u, for instance). And if you get a duo or a trio, you would be SOL without the mixer.

Now, going on: the ASCAP police are real and they will eventually find you and threaten to sue you unless you pay up. What you pay depends upon several things, one of which is how often these events are featured. Whether or not you are non-profit is not a concern of theirs. You can avoid them by insisting vehemently that the music played has to be either originals by the writer or PD material. And that is nearly impossible to control or enforce. And it will cost you a high percentage of potential performers.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 AM

Thanks everyone for you thoughtful inputs.This is a first time open mic in a large Marine boat supply store. We normally do marine related seminars during the winter months after work for 3 hours or so twice a week. We have had in the past a professional local group play and was very well received. This is something to break up the monotony, we intend to combine with a wine tasting table as well. Should be an interesting night.
I will provide the Bose L1C and my mixer and 2 mics with stands with one having a music/tablet holder. I will have my Red Eye preamp for those with a passive pickup. And I will bring my clip on Meridian Condenser mic as a back up. I think I may include the Bodyrez in the chain preset at 12:00, just to help with any piezo quack. We attract local Boaters and loyal customers to these events. Overall an older very appreciative and fun crowd. Hopefully we get enough sign ups and I dont have to perform for 3 hours. LOL.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 AM

Let us know how it all goes!

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification